Wireless phone charge retrofit

jdp1962

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
I've finally got round to acquiring a mobile phone with wireless charging capability. That got me thinking about the possibility of a retrofit; not an easy thing to do neatly in the B8/B8.5. Then I found this in the USA; a bit pricey but I found a discount code to get 5% off. I've just ordered it; all in, it's come to just under £74. I'm sure it'll take a while to make from the USA, but once it's here, I'll post an update.

Reactions: V6_Man
Here's a video of how to fit it; I think even I can manage that! Oh, and it ships from Malaysia, not the USA.

Last edited:
Anybody else thinking of doing this..... It's less than £40. I was thinking of doing this but my Sumsung Note 10 will not fit in that gap.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210503-105155_AliExpress.jpg
    Screenshot_20210503-105155_AliExpress.jpg
    316.7 KB · Views: 120
Reactions: V6_Man
There was a guide somewhere how to make your own that fits in the arm rest. Cost around £20 to make and fits my S10 plus with a case.

Anybody else thinking of doing this..... It's less than £40. I was thinking of doing this but my Sumsung Note 10 will not fit in ?

Anybody else thinking of doing this..... It's less than £40. I was thinking of doing this but my Sumsung Note 10 will not fit in that gap.
Do you have a Note 10 Plus or non plus? I quite like this, particularly if it's under £40.

The other question is the power output as wireless tends to be slow(er).

Looks good otherwise.

Arrived, fitted, and working. :) So, yes, I now know I could have got it for less from AliExpress, but it arrived safely within seven days exceptionally well-packaged. Also, I've noticed that all of the items advertised on AliExpress carry a warning that they are not suitable for RHD. That would, I suspect, put off many buyers if they saw that first. The site I bought from didn't carry that warning, and it doesn't need to. It perfectly suitable for RHD.

I've yet to drive the car with the phone on place on the charger so can't yet offer a view on how secure it is on the non-slip strips. My phone is new model iPhone SE (same size and shape as an iPhone 8) and if need be, I think I'd be able to add something to inhibit movement.