Wireless network thingy stuff ... any advice?

wigginer

Reaction score
Got me a new laptop yesterday ... now need the wireless network thingy stuff. Any pointers/advice?

I'm on Telewest Broadband with a Scientific Atlanta DPX100 cable modem. The laptop is 54g (draft 802.11g standard compliant) Integrated Wireless LAN ready. (He said without having a clue what he was saying ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif)

Thanks for all the feedback.

Just need to commit myself and spend some cash. I'll let you's know how I get on

I've been doing some research into this too...

see the attached zip file which contains an XL spreadsheet. Yep, I'm sad, I know. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'm going to wait for the netgear or belkin all-in-one 54G devices, which are due for release at the end of this month.

AL

Will certainly give it a looksee! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Might have the "other half's" approval by then, so the timing just right ...

Whatever kit you buy thats wireless, just make sure you lock it down to your laptops MAC address otherwise everybody within 500ms of your house can use your connection and sap your bandwidth. You'd be surprised just how many other peoples networks you can spy on when your out in the car with a wireless card plugged into your laptop /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I work for a broadband ISP and you'd be surpsrised how many people don't lock down they're home networks, and then complain to me afterwards (not that i'm bitter)

[ QUOTE ]
AL B said:
I've been doing some research into this too...

see the attached zip file which contains an XL spreadsheet. Yep, I'm sad, I know. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'm going to wait for the netgear or belkin all-in-one 54G devices, which are due for release at the end of this month.

AL

[/ QUOTE ]

AL,

Thanks for your reply, but ...wotdayamean about the all-in-one bit?

Have these devices been released yet?

Thx /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

C

Well if you have not got your wireless stuff yet i would go for the linksys product's as they are Cisco now due to a take over at the start of the year this stuff is selling like hot cake's at my work. A lot of company's are taking out other brand networking product's and replacing it with Cisco. Tesco is one they have had there 3-com replaced

Linksy's stuff is good and cheap when it works but I have had 3 firewall box's that I had to send back to get replaced. At home I've gone for a Draytek 2600WE and its great. All in 1 ADSL modem/Router/Firewall/Hardware VPN. I have got a Linksys USB wireless adapter for the computer end though. All seems to work fine.

Have set 3 of these up for access into my corporate network and they are easy to use and work fine. One nice thing you can do with the draytek that you can't do with any Linksys products I have use is backup the configuation file to disk, so that you can restore if you need.

Also instead of paying all that for an incar kit just get a Bluetooth phone and headset, absolutley briliant.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

It would be really cool if Audi actually did a Bluetooth system to integrate into the car, rather than using a poxy little headset - I've got the Jabra FreeSpeak 250 at the moment and while it's a good headset, it's still a faff having to wear it around your ear all the time...

[ QUOTE ]
L14MDP said:
Also instead of paying all that for an incar kit just get a Bluetooth phone and headset, absolutley briliant.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

It's the integration I like... plus I would feel and probably look like a "right prat" wearing the "ear thingy"!

Plus my boss has spent hundreds and a "shed full" of time on Bluetooth technology throughout it evolution. Problems with wrong software versions on phone etc. Leading to a totally frustrating time.

I had a few discussions with my dealer on this and considering the lack of GSM phone adaptors for the Audi phone preparation at the moment, is a sure sign that they are going down the Bluetooth route ... as per their main competitor of course!

Are the headsets classed as hands free, or is this another grey area?
I couldn't get on with the headset, a right pain. You don't know whether to wear it all the time, or leave it off and plug it in when you answer a call. If you like listening to loud music you can't hear the phone unless you have an old fashioned hands free kit.

Hi Alex/Al

I work for HP and have had a few customers with similar problems. It seems to be caused by the printer driver update scheduler (similar to Windows update), so on newer printers this is installed in the SysTray to check for driver updates. I'd just remove it from Startup until there is a workaround.
Cheers, Andy

Andy,

I also work for HP (and Compaq, Digital before that). My Armada doesn't have any printer related applet in the systray.

Funny thing is, the url resolution works fine on the corporate network. But not on my wireless network at home, going through the PlusNet ISP. Perhaps its a DNS problem or something?

Cheers

AL