Wireless help

AndybS3

Reaction score
I have my main pc into a 4 port hub with also a Linksys WAP54g all connecting to the internet using a usb adsl modem, my laptop has a built in Orinnoco card which shares the connection with the pc. I have now got my hands on a Roamabout AP2000 which uses (I think) a rebadged Orinnoco silver card, can I use this to connect my neighbours pc to my network and also can I use a P.O.E with a crossover cable in my neighbours pc

Cheers Andy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Yeah as long as you setup access from the cards mac number on your router then it should pick it up ok on your neighbours pc. As for the P.O.E. why would you want to do that for one access point and it would also require running a cable from your to your neighbours making it more work and expensive. It can be done but dont see the point due to the extra expense and work involved.

Cheers CJ, sorry I don,t think I've been clear enough with my question. The poe is for the ap2000 which I'm trying to connect to my neighbours pc 10/100 port and locate in his loft (no power outlet)

I dunno mate maybe just a compatibility problem with the initial setup. Difficult to speculate when you dont see it, i'm stumped! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/noidea.gif

Cheers NSD I was questioning using the POE on a crossover cable (single pc) I tried the AP2000 on my laptop and also on my neighbours pc with no luck the AP Manager software that came with the AP would not see it so I couldn't assign any IP or subnet but as soon as I plugged it into my hub it recognised it straight away and is now working on my own pc with my laptop connecting as it should. I now have the Linksys spare so I'll try to set that up on my neighbours pc, for the two APs to connect to each other do I set them up in bridge mode Lan - Lan endpoint?
All PCs are running XP Pro

I was thinking that too...straight forward cat5 no cross over see what happens. NSD has pretty much covered it all /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ok.gif

My neighbour has a single pc with 10/100 network card, plugging the AP2000 into this with a crossover cable the AP is not recognised in AP manager even after resetting the AP, but my laptop could see it in netstumbler. I also tried a normal cat5 and the network cable unplugged icon came up. Plugging the AP2000 into my laptops network port the exact same problems occurred, both APs are on Ch11. Now I have the AP2000 working on my pc through a hub and was able to assign an ip address and change it to lan-lan and I am going to attempt to put the Linksys AP in my neighbours house via his network port on his pc. Distances are fine as I can see my network from my neighbours house using my laptop, so if I set the AP2000 in my house to lan-lan enpoint and set the Linksys AP in my neighbours house to its equivalent then this should work /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif