Wireless charging - Techno pack

Syed Shah

Cars are a mans best friend, then dogs..
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm aware the A4's Techno pack now comes with wireless charging as an option...

Will this work with all devices that support that feature.. i.e. my iPhone X or will it need the cover?

I did ask my local Audi dealer (Hitchen Audi) on their Facebook page but wasn't given a reply.

Thank you.

iPhone X works great with wireless charging in the A4. No cover required

Reactions: Syed Shah
iPhone X works great with wireless charging. No cover required :)

Thank god. The cover is silly expensive so I was hoping it wasn't one of the purchases I had to make. First time with near to no cables all over my goddamn car haha

Reactions: Inked
Yes the phone supports Qi charging so it should work, it'll also use the car's external aerial to boost the signal...

Reactions: happytalk73 and Syed Shah
Yes the phone supports Qi charging so it should work, it'll also use the car's external aerial to boost the signal...

thanks for confirming! just a few more days left!

Reactions: cuke2u
Yup defo works with the iPhone X. Also works with any other iPhone with a wireless case.

Yup defo works with the iPhone X. Also works with any other iPhone with a wireless case.

I also have a little question, not really related to this. But its about the audi connect stuff... so obviously techno pack users get 3 years of in car internet connectivity on audi, is that correct or is audi connect something else? And if it isnt right, would the car at all need data via phone tethering?

Does anyone know if the wireless charging pad can be added to the glove box

With my current WiFi problem situation on my iPhone X i surely wouldn’t mind going back to my 6s days!

Well, I've only had my 6s for a month. Up until then I had a 4 (yes,,,, 4!!!) I only changed because my wife and daughter hounded me. Apparently I was an embarrassment when we were out and about. They made me feel like Dom Jolly with his mahooooosive Nokia

Well, I've only had my 6s for a month. Up until then I had a 4 (yes,,,, 4!!!) I only changed because my wife and daughter hounded me. Apparently I was an embarrassment when we were out and about. They made me feel like Dom Jolly with his mahooooosive Nokia

Haha! Very unlike me, I can’t seem to stop buying new iPhones every year!

Reactions: happytalk73
Haha! Very unlike me, I can’t seem to stop buying new iPhones every year!

I'd rather buy some tools for work than a phone. There's nowt I do on the 6s that I couldn't do on the 4. (Text, email and call)

However, we're all different.

I'd rather buy some tools for work than a phone. There's nowt I do on the 6s that I couldn't do on the 4. (Text, email and call)

However, we're all different.

Ofcourse! We are all different :)

I just wanted to add that I have an Samsung S8. The charging works okay even if you have a leather cover to protect the phone (as I have). Also the size of the charging pad will take the bigger mobile phones okay.

Reactions: Theonenonly, Syed Shah and happytalk73
I just wanted to add that I have an Samsung S8. The charging works okay even if you have a leather cover to protect the phone (as I have). Also the size of the charging pad will take the bigger mobile phones okay.

I have a S8 plus, will it still fit?

If you want to check, let me know and we can meet up

Thanks for the offer Happy, but regardless if it’s fits or not it’s coming with the car (and the VC is worth the extra alone), can’t really complain as I got over £7k off list price so it’s all free stuff!

Reactions: Happy Grumpz
Yes I have an S8+ and it fits no problem.

For those of you with the iPhone X and the wireless charging option am I right in thinking you still need to connect the cable to access CarPlay? Or does it include wireless connection as well? Cheers.

Carplay is wired only, for now at least

Cheers. Kinda defeats the purpose then although I guess it depends if you use CarPlay or not and like the option to just throw the phone in and have it charge without connecting cables.

Carplay is wired only, for now at least
Just to be clear - Apple supports wireless carplay since iOS 9 (and it works in some recent BMW models), it's the Audi MMI infotainment that is currently limiting everyone to needing to plug the phone in for carplay.

Apple stopped VW from demoing it last year so it may well be more complicated than you think. If BMW are going to have it pay by subscription then they might be having exclusive rights...

Apple stopped VW from demoing it last year so it may well be more complicated than you think. If BMW are going to have it pay by subscription then they might be having exclusive rights...
Launched with 5 series: https://www.theverge.com/2016/10/13/13278694/apple-wireless-carplay-ios-2017-bmw-5-series

The subscription charge replaces a $300 one-off fee. It's just the usual BMW "pay for everything" approach: https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/16/...scription-google-alexa-detroit-auto-show-2018

I have bought cars with built in satnav for years, I just prefer it to sticking something to my windscreen. Had wireless carplay / android auto been available for my last car purchase I wouldn't have needed to pay extra for satnav.

My guess is that car manufacturers recognise this and are all going to charge extra for carplay shortly.

I have bought cars with built in satnav for years, I just prefer it to sticking something to my windscreen. Had wireless carplay / android auto been available for my last car purchase I wouldn't have needed to pay extra for satnav.

My guess is that car manufacturers recognise this and are all going to charge extra for carplay shortly.

Yep wouldn't be surprised and whilst I know CarPlay / Android Auto aren't to everyone's taste and could still do with a lot of improving they likely will eventually signal the death of the built in Sat Nav (and other MMI type functions) that are money spinners as added options for car manufacturers.

Its just so much easier to get new functionality quickly added i.e. the other day WhatsApp updated their app to support CarPlay and its available straight away for me to use in the car.

I have to say I'm a fan of built-in systems because when your phone loses connection / gps, the car still knows the direction and speed of travel so can fill in the gaps. I'd be really sad to see this go.

Reactions: tickedon