Wipers moving

AlS3BE

Reaction score
I’ve noticed that my wipers move up and down maybe half an inch every time I start or turn off the car. Is this normal?
It’s like a twitch and notice it more when I turn off the car.

I would say it’s not normal. Are they set to Auto? If so have you tried setting them to off?

I’ve noticed that my wipers move up and down maybe half an inch every time I start or turn off the car. Is this normal?

I'm pretty sure this is a design feature to park the wipers in a slightly different position to prolong the blades life.
My A3 8P has always done this.

Wipers are off not auto.
It’s not doing any harm. Suppose wait till it fails and let the warranty sort it.

It's a normal VAG design feature for many years now. The wipers are moved a few degrees up or down every few starts to ensure the blades do not sit in a fixed position for too long causing permanent set to the angle.

Reactions: AlS3BE
Mine does. Perfectly normal AFAIK and my previous A3 did it too.

Yeah mine does this twitch too!

Cheers guys.
3 Audi’s before this and never had this twitch before.

I think when the wipers are primed to wipe they sit an inch higher but when off they sink to the lower position for aerodynamics, that’s what I’ve been told any way...

It's normal, mine does it.
Previous Ford cars done this.....it's just like a parked(off) and stand by position.

This is really weird. Everyone seems to say it happens on their car, but it has never done it on mine!
Does it have to be set in a particular way?

This is really weird. Everyone seems to say it happens on their car, but it has never done it on mine!
Does it have to be set in a particular way?
Looks more like a programmable setting than a fault. Wipers don't do any such movement in my car either.

My last 5 cars have done this for the above explained reason. Usually move when you turn the ignition off

Is it perhaps possible that the people who say it isn't happening on their cars have simply just not noticed it?
It is quite subtle.
The function will have been applied from a certain date, so maybe the cars in question are older than this.
I cannot speak for Audi but the first Ford car I owned which done this was in 2015. I think that's correct because I also owned a previous generation of the same model in 2014 and I don't think it done it.

Last edited:
I’ve noticed this happening now and again. Suspect from the comments here, it’s normal.

Just diid some search and found that this function is called APP or Alternating Park Position and it can be activated/deactivated with VCDS by a check box in the wiper motor long coding. Maybe I'll try that in my car later.

Reactions: AlS3BE
My 2014 3dr does it occassionaly when switching off too. It's a neat little idea I think & it seems to work as in over 90k miles / 5yrs now I've never had a wiper judder.