Wiper Delete Help :)

Farhan

Reaction score
Right all, im sick of that stupid thing at the back of the car.
tumblr_ljkh5hylPk1qhdnz5o1_500.gif

I will be placing an order for the grommet soon but im a bit worried about removing the wiper etc. I have a tendency to break things?

Who would be kind enough to assist me with this lol Or could anyone offer any advise on what i should do?
Did anyone use a specific silicone to seal it up, another thing to note is i want to be able to revert back to stock with ease, Not only that what steps do i take to remove the horrid thing?

There should be a couple of guides on here showing the steps. General process is:
1. Remove cap on wiper arm and undo nut securing arm.
2. Spray area with wd40 and pull wiper arm off. I found this really difficult as the arm had seized on. Ended up getting a wiper removal tool from my motor factors (made by sealey I think, around £5). If you can't get hold of one il send you mine
3. Remove bootlid lining. Pull like f***, it's quite tough to get it off
4. Disconnect electrical and water connections from wiper motor.
5. Undo nuts securing wiper motor
6. Block washer pipe. I used a jubilee clip and golf tee for this.

Get a glass bung from gecleant.de. They have a kit which includes the adhesive etc. however I used black sikaflex as its a better job that the supplied adhesive.

Removing the bung should be simple, just scrape away the adhesive with a sharp blade and use the correct solvent

Reactions: HHS3
Thanks for the tip moag, i will give this a try then. I found some uk suppliers who sell the glass style grommet on ebay aswell. So i may just order from them as the price is similar.

I actually attempted to remove the rear tailgate cover undone the screws but i was putting a fair bit of force on the panel and it didnt budge, from there on i thought maybe i should stop before i destroy something LOL

I know its personal preference but why do you wanna remove the rear wiper. You may aswell just remove the rear view mirror (if it wasnt illegal) too as the amount of crap on our roads wont take long to build up on the rear window. Your rear visibility is gonna be nigh on zilch especially when its leathering it down with rain.

Good guide this, I have got to replace my motor as it has rusty water leaking from it due to the seals failing from the washer....

I for one couldn't be without the wiper!!

I know its personal preference but why do you wanna remove the rear wiper. You may aswell just remove the rear view mirror (if it wasnt illegal) too as the amount of crap on our roads wont take long to build up on the rear window. Your rear visibility is gonna be nigh on zilch especially when its leathering it down with rain.
It just encourages you to keep the car clean :yum:

I put a few layers of wax on my rear screen and generally only wash the car every 1-2 weeks. No issues what so ever!

Farhaan when i come round today i will take it off for you and then you can just stick one of your many cloths in the hole as a bung until you get the grommet come through :p

on a serious note just out some WD40 on the base of the wiper arm, and then when i do come round to taking it off, it will come off easeir.
I remember when i had to change my rear wiper motor it was stuck on and took me nearly an hour to pull it off

If the arm is stuck, take the nut off, lift it upright away from the glass and wiggle it side to side in all directions to break it's grip on the splines. Worked for me for over 50 years. :)

How often do you clean your car then bro, as you'd need to leave it for ages for you not to be able to see out of it? I had an m3 for a few years and they have no rear wipers, driving was not a problem. You dont miss what you dont have. i still forget now that my A3 has a rear wiper coz i'm so used to not having one.

Thought it would of been obvious why M3's or the majority of saloon cars dont require wipers. I live in the country and it gets kinda dreary and wet the road conditions are alot of the time muddy. I need my rear wiper as 2 miles down the road it usually needs cleaning. The S3 gets cleaned at least once a week because of this....contents of fields on them as farmers cant be ar5sed to clean the road after their tractors have been on them. I can see why you dont need a rear wiper if you lived in the city though and didnt go above 30-40 mph.

TBH i do use my rear wiper and it is handy, however as i want to attend a few shows this year and i have seen so many a3s without the rear wiper now i just prefer the look.

Ill pop it back in after a couple of months :)

uh oh well the grommet didnt arrive today but ash is coming to help me out. Does anyone know the size of the grommet? Hearing mixed reviews some say 25mm some are saying 28mm :S

Going to run to halfords or b&q throw a rubber one on temporary until my one turns up :/

aslong as i get that motor out today without busting anything i should be cool

All this chat, and no pics ?!

Must say, ive got used to no wiper since ive had my 330d. Though overall id say i do prefer them (usage wise)

Here a picture of mine, I only did it yesterday, took about 30 minutes taking it steady.

not much to see really lol.

IMG_2157.jpg

Didn't manage to do it since we didn't have the grommet.
Farhan as soon as you get that let me know and we can get on removing that wiper!

OK I know I should post this in the wanted section but I thought if anyone can break the rules it should be me :)

I need a rear wiper motor for my A3 anyone got one for sale :)

Many thanks

A

LMAO @ GIF, 1,000,000,678 surely not! :uhm:293,444.18 posts per day no ways.

DONE! what a horrible job! the rear panel is a nightmare to remove!!
anyway did a sort of DIY....so erm yea enjoy

First unclip the plastic cover on the wiper arm, Basically the edges can be spread out so it unclips off
dc4bdffe.jpg

Undo the jet, this simply just needs to be pushed up to fully reveal the nut holding the wiper arm

Once the nut is revealed use a 13mm socket to undo the nut

The next part may be tricky for some of you guys, My car it was easy as its still pretty new so nothing was seized, However spray a bit of WD40 where the bolt was if yours is seized.

Now do not hold the wiper arm but instead try and grip the area where the nut was attached, Try and wiggle the arm side to side a bit whilst pulling up. The wiper should pop off completely

0b72b26f.jpg

ab839c7c.jpg

Now you will need to open up the boot and this was the hardest part
use a torx key (t20) as shown below and remove the two torx screws on the plastic trim.
437ed175.jpg

997ff86b.jpg

Once these are removed, use brute force to pull the trim down and away from the tailgate. I found initially pulling from the bottom left and inserting a trim removal tool to allow a gap to be created. (U can use a butter knife also)

Once i did that i could just about see the metal prongs and just use some force to pull the trim down working your way around. Have a look at the pic of the back of the trim below to get an idea of where the prongs are.

once you have successfully removed the trim it should look like this
08871a85.jpg

0360c757.jpg

Now i had a bit of a problem as some of the prongs were stuck in the body work to remove them use a needle nose plier as shown below and place it in the prongs and pull down they should pop out of the body work
7da10183.jpg

You will the wiper motor and there are 3 nuts holding it
7b7e8e8e.jpg

Unclip the water hose going to the motor, Just push up on the small black plastic and it should release the hose
de923af9.jpg

Now carry on and undo the bolts i found it easier to remove the wiper motor and then undo the loom going into it, if you can remove the loom first then by all means do so.

14c64bb1.jpg

After the bolts are undone and you undo the harness the wiper motors out. I then inserted a suitable screw into the water hose but applied PTFE tape and also a little clear silicone on the threads, Tightened the screw up and then wrapped the whole thing in PTFE. After i used cloth loom tape to tape the hose to the existing wires.

And i also taped the original loom which was removed from the motor to the other looms. I used cloth tape so it does not rattle!

Next insert your grommet be it glass or whatever, I used clear silicone around the inner edge of the grommet and then stuck the grommet on from the inside.

Then i used a fair bit of silicone around the edge inside to ensure a good seal so there are no water leaks. Have a look at the photo below to see how i "sparingly" used silicone LOL :)

6cf62e5c.jpg

Now all that is needed is to put the tailgate cover back on, Allow the grommet to dry but as it started raining i just quickly finished up. Tip when putting the trim back on ensure all the prongs are intact on the trim and line it up from where the wiper was removed first and work your way back down to clip it in.

ensure all the prongs will insert in and use the palm of your hand wack the trim in when you are fairly certain it is lined up.
Thats it all done

now if you busted something or i dont know....ask one of the knowledgeable people here not me :). Love you bye.

ab09f179.jpg

Reactions: HHS3
Nice write up. Might get to see it in the flesh tomorrow if you're parked up by founders. It might inspire me to do mine. Have you got a link to where you got the glass bung?

Cheers mate, yea ill probably park there tomorrow morning.

It looks ok tbh, The grommet is a nice fit but my one is acrylic and not glass. So it is shiny like the glass one but it does protrude up a tiny bit.

Ideally going to let the thing fully dry over the course of a few days then i will revisit cleaning the grommet and the windscreen around it.

For now i have a circular mark around the grommet from the old rubber, any idea on how to remove this?

I tried tardis, clay and glass cleaner it didnt budge :(

Here is the link to the exact one i bought
eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

The next link below is a similar one from another company
eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

this one is from the seller as above but is a proper glass version
Glass Rear Wiper Blank VW Skoda Seat Audi Golf Polo A3 Fabia Leon A4 A6 Ibiza | eBay

Great write up Farhan. Looks far better now!

Removing the boot trim can be a real PITA the first time you do it.

Try a rubbing compound/polish to remove the mark around the bung. I had to do this when removing mine

Thanks Moag for your tips had me pretty much set up to give this a go, i thought i would take pics just so its a bit easier for others.

Ill grab the menzerna out in a few days to get rid of the marks once the wiper blank fully seals up.

good write up i used the other method and cut mine off with a grinder but im not the most patient person in the world and used some thinners to get sealant off.
your wing mirrors will become your new best friend lol

OK I know I should post this in the wanted section but I thought if anyone can break the rules it should be me :)

I need a rear wiper motor for my A3 anyone got one for sale :)

Many thanks

A

Not got one for sale, but had to replace mine this week. £70 from Audi with some haggling. It's on Rev E now, mine was Rev C on my car. Part number is 8E9 955 711 E

Cheers dude, give it a go if you need a hand let me know. Got home and used a bit of menzerna on the window and its got rid of the circular mark left from the old grommet so happy days looks alot better now.

Are your lights still my09 as it says in your sig? They look pretty dark. What you got lined up next?

Yep they are still my09 think its the resizing of the photo which darkens them up a bit. Want MY11.

Well plan is to get it to a car wash fast as my car never looked like that and i also have a tiny dent which i want to remove :(
So far i have ordered 13mm spacers for the rear
10mm for the fronts and some eibach sportline 50/40 springs.

All which should go on before the end of the month. After that probably a MFSW and nav :) o and maybe MY11s instead lol

That'll give it a nice stance. I hope by car wash you mean a garage jetwash then home for a 2 bucket method and proper product wash! Have you seen the hair dryer and co2 dent removal? Can't say I've noticed any dents. There's some my11s in the classifieds, and you could easily off load your 09's to make up most of the cost.

Defo, using a jetwash at the petrol station currently and 2BM with optimum no rinse but its not the same like cranking the foam lance out and giving it a bubble bath :'(

Tell me about it. I hate not being able to get the foam out. I'm kind of glad it hasn't stopped raining, cos when the weathers nice washing the car is almost a weekly ritual. On the plus side, the multiple layers of sealant and wax are really proving their worth.