Winter wheels

As said above you really noticed the difference once the temperatures are low and the work even better with a car that’s 4x4.

I used to own a Subaru Forester with winter tires and it was amazing at how far you could go when the conditions were really bad!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: SiPie and 45bvtc
Winter wheels and tyres went on today. Strange visually adjusting from 19s down to 18s but fine for purpose (AEZ strike graphite & Nokians).
6275498A D81F 473A A607 E9DC95F84031
3B54C403 7E99 45D2 A801 4BE99629ED02

I’m getting my first Audi soon. My perceived wisdom as someone new to Audi is that if you have a Quattro model (i.e. 4x4) as I do, you don’t need special winter tyres, the car will just work perfectly in the snow on its stock tyres?

Please don’t shatter my dreams and tell me I am wrong!?!

You are wrong, truly... Best quattro will do is give you 'drive' but little or no help with 'braking' and 'steering';here's a simple demonstration:

Reactions: CHEZ
Here we go again LOL....

Our local roads include: View Street, Mount Street, High Mount Street, Church Hill, Pendle Hill, Littleworth Hill, Hill Street, Wimblebury Hill, Rawnsley Hill, Stringers Hill, and Siddon Hill - and then of course there's Valley Road and Lower Road, etc.

So is there any wonder why we use winter tyres... :racer:

I still won't, but hey each to their own. I just hope anyone who does fit declares them to their motor insurance as they will always try to get out of paying up on a technicality it seems these days....

Wise forum members, how much is an acceptable amount to pay for a set of 2017 19inch S5 cavo wheels that may have a few curb marks but not a complete wreck.

So good not excellent condition with no tyres and no tyre sensors.

Last edited:
I still won't, but hey each to their own. I just hope anyone who does fit declares them to their motor insurance as they will always try to get out of paying up on a technicality it seems these days....

Do hope you aren’t driving behind me when I need to brake in snow/ice/temp lower than 6 degrees then ....
Winter tyres should be mandatory from Dec to March, up here anyway. As in Scandinavia.
The roads grid lock when one idiot gets stuck by reving the **** out of his RWD merc and I’m pretty certain winter tyres would keep everybody moving happily
I drove for around 25 years without them so I’m not saying the world comes to a halt if you drive with gentle inputs etc without them but the difference is incredible with winters (if your climate needs them).

Last edited:
Reactions: 45bvtc and ub7rm
Lol, really, you went there. Not going to waste my time, it's already been stated...

Check the video below it’s a good test for winter tires

I can justify paying for them because I live in Scotland and I do drive on rural untreated roads

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: SiPie, Happy Grumpz and 45bvtc
It's pretty simple, if a topic doesn't interest you, don't click on it.

Surely you just have though...
I didn't and I'm not, but others seem to want to. Every year all the winter tyre evangelists come out and say we must all fit winter tyres, otherwise we are a risk to other drivers. But please don't judge my driving skills and don't tell me how to drive thank you, I am perfectly capable.
Always give me a giggle this, but end of...

Last edited:
How could anyone possibly get ‘tired’ of this old debate

Love it! But what matters, surely, is information and/or experience for them that are interested and wanting to learn and/or not as experienced as some of our other ASN friends here. And that is the subject here.

If I resided on Brighton sea front or Sloan Square then for sure there's no way would I even consider winter rubber for a 'local' drive; but some of us ain't that fortunate, or not, lol...

Three times 'every' week and sometimes more I have to get 'mine' 15-miles to a hospital, no ifs and no buts, she has to be there; so if I needed a caterpillar tracked vehicle I'd have one by now, just as a stand-by, just in case our current machinery were not, which they are, know what I mean...

I've driven for 40+ years without even thinking of winter rubber no caring if I got to 'work' or not so no worries there; but now my 'needs' are different and so I do the very best I can - even if that means slowing down some, tsk...

Last edited:
Reactions: SiPie
Do hope you aren’t driving behind me when I need to brake in snow/ice/temp lower than 6 degrees then ....
Winter tyres should be mandatory from Dec to March, up here anyway. As in Scandinavia.

I agree, I'd make 'em mandatory here in the UK if only to save throwing all the salt and sh*te on our road and then water courses, etc

PLUS: if someone does, unfortunately, slide into the back of you wearing summer rubber in -7ºC winter conditions do make sure you photo their 'not suitable for use' summer rubber and include that in your insurance claim - gonna take a lot of arguing against, lol.

Every year all the winter tyre evangelists come out and say we must all fit winter tyres,

And every year you jump on said threads and dismiss the whole thing because you're 'perfectly capable' of driving in snow

But please don't judge my driving skills and don't tell me how to drive thank you,

Show me where I have done that?

Some of us have to travel all over the country (for a living) and having the right tools for the job is a bonus.

I drove for over 20 years without ever using winter tyres (I'm also capable, just like you) then around 5 years ago I decided to try them...

From that moment on I decided it was worth the effort fitting them each year as they made that much difference.

Just because they dont meet YOUR requirements doesn't mean they don't meet OTHERS.

Reactions: 45bvtc and SiPie
Ref 'insurance' on winter tyres: stay with the recommended/approved M+S tyre for your vehicle - as shown on your tyre inflation label - and you've no problem as shown here for the 8P RS3:

OUR RS3 tyre pressures

Change your "wheels" to something NOT 'standard' to your car and then you seriously SHOULD inform your insurance; non standard wheels may make the wheels/car more 'nickable' is their argument.

Advice/thoughts from our ASN INSURANCE friends here WILL be appreciated by ALL....

Reactions: cuke2u
And every year you jump on said threads and dismiss the whole thing because you're 'perfectly capable' of driving in snow

Just because they dont meet YOUR requirements doesn't mean they don't meet OTHERS.
Did I state anything of the sort? I was merely replying to those who 'think' we should all have winter tyres because the temps go below a certain level and it rains. If you don't wish me to comment then stop asking me to, it will only wind you up.
If you need to go in the snow, if it is deep enough then fine, anyone should take the necessary precautions if they feel they need to...

Last edited:
If you don't wish me to comment then stop asking me to, it will only wind you up.

It wouldn't matter if i quoted you or not, you'd still comment with some utter nonsense, you can't help yourself, it's just who you are.

And as for winding me up, you really don't so don't flatter yourself. I've come to learn that most forums have trolls and know it alls, it just so happens that you're ours.

CHILL guys! We might not get snow this year and then it'll be 'ME' disappointed! :sadlike: and savin' me summer rubber till 2020 :yahoo:

hey guys, just come back from Skiing in France.
Been going for the last 25 years and never used a set of chains in that time despite always having a set in the car.
Was fine on the trip down as no snow had fallen, but got a few dumps whilst in the resort. Going home time as snow had fallen several times and was on the road from the treads of the cars leaving the resort. Going forward with the Quattro up and down the hills and getting out of the car park etc was no effort, a chap in a Jaguar was stuck in the car park, gave him a little wave as i went past and mouthed 'Quattro' as i went past :)
I have to admit i was pushing my luck as my tyres are fairly worn, but ran out of time before i went. i took it easy, but stopping was a real issue and had a few dicey moments.
Now looking at having a spare set of Winter wheels and tyres, which can be use over the winter period also.
What happens with the Tyre pressure sensors? does the car automatically pick up both sets without a re-programme?

I got aftermarket rims with no tyre pressure sensors, on start up you get a little warning tyre pressure sensor light, but it goes off after Two seconds - no continual warnings or anything... my winters are on for maybe 3 months - I check tyres often - I’m not bothered about not having them.

I got aftermarket rims with no tyre pressure sensors, on start up you get a little warning tyre pressure sensor light, but it goes off after Two seconds - no continual warnings or anything... my winters are on for maybe 3 months - I check tyres often - I’m not bothered about not having them.
Thanks Spearo

Been going for the last 25 years and never used a set of chains in that time despite always having a set in the car.
Was fine on the trip down as no snow had fallen, but got a few dumps whilst in the resort. Going home time as snow had fallen several times and was on the road from the treads of the cars leaving the resort. Going forward with the Quattro up and down the hills and getting out of the car park etc was no effort, a chap in a Jaguar was stuck in the car park, gave him a little wave as i went past and mouthed 'Quattro' as i went past :)
I have to admit i was pushing my luck as my tyres are fairly worn, but ran out of time before i went. i took it easy, but stopping was a real issue and had a few dicey moments.
Now looking at having a spare set of Winter wheels and tyres, which can be use over the winter period also.
What happens with the Tyre pressure sensors? does the car automatically pick up both sets without a re-programme?
It depends upon what system you have, there are are two versions fitted to the A4, one uses the ABS system to detect the change in rotational speed a puncture would cause. The another that does use sensors on the inside of the wheels. The first you don't need to do anything about, just reset them, then second, as mentioned, will give you a short warning if there are no sensors..

They are not sensors, what happens is after you input the "correct" tyre pressure the system memorizes the rolling radius from the 4 corners and when any sensible change in the rolling radius is experienced you'll get a warning.

If you fit winters just make sure you input the "correct" pressure on your MMI and you're good to go.

If you fit winters just make sure you input the "correct" pressure on your MMI and you're good to go.

Yeah, guilty as charged! Fortunately when the warning went off, I immediately realised I'd forgotten to reset the pressures!!

Reactions: Filipão
Winter set all sorted, bit late i know but summer wheels on the limit. I assume the MMI worked them out as i forgot to save the pressures.
Side
V6T
Wheel

Interesting thread. I've been running a set of winter tyres on a spare set of alloys for my BMW's the last 10+ years and been thinking about a new set of alloys for the A4 now i've switched to Audi. 1 year when I was late changing wheels, I slid on (or should that be off?) the motorway just missing the central reservation barrier then finishing up the wrong way on the hard shoulder after trying to pull into the middle lane and slow down after hitting a bank of snow. Scariest moment in all my time driving, so I know the difference between winter tyres and summer tyres

Weirdly, winter tyres seem to wear slower than summer tyres too, so I think I still have 2 original tyres on a set from 10 years ago, so I know it'll only cost me a bit of shed space and a set of alloys for the duration, unless the wheel bolt pattern changes in my next car

Bbs ch returned to winter silver, well they are the winter wheels after all....

So much better in my humble opinion.

Attachments

• FC6C2A08-59EA-48A5-BCD3-0CB5F8096EA1.jpeg
    FC6C2A08-59EA-48A5-BCD3-0CB5F8096EA1.jpeg
    331.4 KB · Views: 134
  • AE8813C3-8793-4873-A686-DD934A795D60.jpeg
    AE8813C3-8793-4873-A686-DD934A795D60.jpeg
    262.3 KB · Views: 140
Winter tires make a big difference on snow and slush
PXL 20201012 153706087 1

and you get a different look for a few months
PXL 20201213 153542900 2 02