Winter wheels

Like I said, it was a tongue in cheek post designed to get one or two amusing reactions. It failed miserably as people are still offended that I don’t use them.

Sigh.

This winter has been really mild so far. There has only been black ice on our road on about 5 days. Today the roads were covered in hale stones = extremely slippery. I only had to drive 6 miles to work today. All untreated country roads. There was a car crashed in the hedge on my way home. Unable to tell what make of car as the front end was missing. Hope they are ok. :(

I used to drive 60 miles to work and 60 miles home. Usually I left for work before 7am. EVERY winter I would see cars in the hedge or the ditch when there was frost. I worry more about frost than snow, as none of roads around me are gritted.

So glad my wife has winter tyres on her A3. It gives me peace of mind knowing that she will be able to stop her car even on black ice.

I guess if you see cars crashed in hedges/ditches after frost then that is a good indicator that you should consider fitting winter tyres.

Reactions: SteveMcB, oli356 and Jonny B
Let me take a stab at replying to this - "they obviously weren't driving to the conditions, I'm brilliant and never loose control - sorry that you are offended that I don't use winter tyres" :hubbahubba::hubbahubba::hubbahubba::hubbahubba::hubbahubba::hubbahubba::hubbahubba:

Reactions: Philip Davies, Jonny B and oli356
I don't have the eye upgrade to be able to see black ice so I use Winter tyres instead. Perhaps if I could see in the infrared or something I wouldn't need them.

Reactions: SteveMcB, Philip Davies and NevMan
Wow this is still going!
I run winter tyres cause they are better when it is cold, I have four disk brakes with abs cause they are better than 2 disk brakes and drums...........neither are necessarily needed and I guess the difference between winter and summer tyres in normal use can be marginal but winters are better in cold slippery and wet conditions. Not needed no but hey each to their own and that's the way it should be.

One caveat, I drive faster with winters on than I probably should do in bad cold conditions and in wet weather I ride my bikes with abs and traction control harder than my other bikes that have neither. Arrogance on the part of the user who takes advantage of tech.

Reactions: Phil-1
Wow this is still going!

… hmmmm … perhaps we should all move on ...

I completely understand that some people see no need for winter tyres. That is entirely their choice.

Last year I didn't bother with winter tyres on my new Golf GTI. However, the road we live on was like a skating rink for several weeks. Even though I was only doing 10mph and braked in good time, I still slid out onto the main road. As soon as the Michelin PS4 tyres touched the main road the car stopped. Luckily there was no one on the main road. Not sure what I could have done to avoid this.

Decided not to take any risk this year. So now have 4 Verdestein Wintrac Pros fitted. Worth it for the peace of mind. The roads today were very, very treacherous, as one unlucky driver found out the hard way (see above).

Yeah it’s time to move on.
Why not post pictures of your winter wheels.
It will be good to see what everyone is using and how they look/sit on the car compared to your summer wheels.

Reactions: Pook
Go on then, I'll start..........

I run my 18inch summer S3 tyres on the silver OE 10spoke alloys.
I run my 18inch winter S3 tyres on the titanium OE 10spoke alloys.
Titanium finish is stronger, spoke to someone at Audi.
No faffing about swopping tyres.

Upload 2019 1 23 20 53 24

This is mine. Gonna Change the colour. Want Matt grey with diamond cut face. They are too bright for my ara blue I think.

Reactions: Sandra
IMG 1159

My summers are black 21s, these are genuine 20s but, same as AIS3BE, I don't particularly like the colour combo either, might go for the same satin charcoal as my A4.

Last edited:
Reactions: 45bvtc, oli356 and AlS3BE
me giving my opinions on winter wheels over and over and over and over and over and over again is really boring, eh cupcake

FTP.

Righto, now I've adjusted that for accuracy, I'm off to the settings to see if there is an ignore user function on this forum.

Oh, before I go, I'd like everyone to know that I'm not a big fan of Ed Sheeran and would never buy any music made by him. I shall be repeating this fact several hundred times over the next few months just to make sure you all get the message. Got it!

Reactions: SteveMcB and oli356
These WERE my winter wheels and I also never thought the colour was right. I did plan to get them refurbished in a darker silver but now they don't fit my car I may as well just sell them as is.

IMG-20170308-061459680-HDR.jpg

Reactions: AlS3BE
The same wheels on my filthy R32.

IMG-20131121-091734.jpg

And my Cupra 280.

IMG-20141210-152428.jpg

Colour went OK with both of these cars but was a terrible match with Floret which is quite a blue-y silver.

The same wheels on my filthy R32.

IMG-20131121-091734.jpg

And my Cupra 280.

IMG-20141210-152428.jpg

Colour went OK with both of these cars but was a terrible match with Floret which is quite a blue-y silver.

Always wanted one of those r32’s. Lovely colour

Reactions: simonali
Great car. Only reasons I got rid was 250 miles to a tank of petrol and £500 a year VED. Could live with either one of those but not both at once!

FTP.

Righto, now I've adjusted that for accuracy, I'm off to the settings to see if there is an ignore user function on this forum.

Oh, before I go, I'd like everyone to know that I'm not a big fan of Ed Sheeran and would never buy any music made by him. I shall be repeating this fact several hundred times over the next few months just to make sure you all get the message. Got it!

I don’t like Ed Sheehan either mate, good taste:rockwoot:

Just thought, you might not get this as you’ve ‘ignored’ me.

Clown:yahoo:

Last edited:
[ATTAC H=full]174191[/ATTACH]

My summers are black 21s, these are genuine 20s but, same as AIS3BE, I don't particularly like the colour combo either, might go for the same satin charcoal as my A4.

IMG 2183 2

Took awhile but eventually got my winters done satin black. Just changed the A4 from PS4s to Crossclimates so will be interesting to see how they compare.

Reactions: 45bvtc and AlS3BE
View attachment 211932

Took awhile but eventually got my winters done satin black. Just changed the A4 from PS4s to Crossclimates so will be interesting to see how they compare.
the black looks good with the blue along with the black trim.
not managed to do anything with mine. Can’t even be bothered putting them on cause I’m not exactly going anywhere with all this COVID stuff going on. Car has done probably 400-500 miles since march. Shops are a walking distance from my house as well so trying to decide if I should sell and get myself a push bike or maybe a motorbike if the mrs allows :wink: like most cars out there they are becoming expensive lawn ornaments.

Reactions: SteveMcB and Ormesome
the black looks good with the blue along with the black trim.
not managed to do anything with mine. Can’t even be bothered putting them on cause I’m not exactly going anywhere with all this COVID stuff going on. Car has done probably 400-500 miles since march. Shops are a walking distance from my house as well so trying to decide if I should sell and get myself a push bike or maybe a motorbike if the mrs allows :wink: like most cars out there they are becoming expensive lawn ornaments.

get an electric bike mate. So much fun. Really want to get this but not sure i can justify 4K!

https://www.focus-bikes.com/ch_de/1030147-aventura-6-8

get an electric bike mate. So much fun. Really want to get this but not sure i can justify 4K!

I had a shot of an electric bike/moped thing in China and it was a hoot. This thing was good for 30-40mph possibly more. These thing had a good range and had pedals when you run out of juice.
What annoys me something similar over here is thousands of pounds and over there it’s like a couple of hundred quid.

Reactions: Ormesome

I'd say go for it.
I've got a couple of 'clockwork' (seems to be the phrase now) MTBs but after having a go on an electric one I was hooked. The Specialized Levo was top of the hit list but the Mrs wasn't too keen parting with that much cash, even with the 3 years IFC. She started to warm to the idea when I suggested she get one as well though :)
Cut a long story short I managed to get a 2021 medium (hers) but couldn't get a large anywhere, so hers is in the garage and mine is on back order for 3 months minimum - and they've just hiked the price by 10%WTF !!
I've ridden the medium a fair bit though, it's an absolute blast but it'll make me lazy.

Reactions: Ormesome