Winter wheels/tyre set up for S4 Avant B9

ColinM

Reaction score
A couple of questions for the winter tyre experts. I am a big fan of winter tyres and on my old car (A4 Avant B6) I have a set of Conti Winter Contacts on (Audi) 15" steel wheels that replace the 17" alloys with Goodyear F1 Assy that I use the rest of the year. I got the wheels from Audi since they were the ones that were fitted to base model A4s then with plastic wheel trims.

Now I've just bought a 2017 S4 Avant with 19" wheels. Chatting to the dealer, they said the smallest wheels that will fit the S4 calipers are 18" and this is borne out by the German configurator. A set of Audi 18" alloys for that car cost a fortune so even Audi themselves suggested picking up a set of second hand ones via someone upgrading or a set of BBS or whoever.

Does anyone know the PCN and offset for the 18" wheels? Audi didn't have a clue. I've found info online but want to get confirmation before I buy.

I plan to put my favourite Conti Winter Contacts on again since these are bl**dy impressive in the ice and snow. My 2WD B6 pulled like a train in all sorts of weather a few years back.

The Germans have it sorted, but Audi UK don't sell the specific winter wheels available in Germany. I've asked a dealer contact there for a price but in the meantime, sorely tempted to aftermarket for the cost difference in the rims but I don't want my car to look like a dogs dinner with them fitted.

What have others done?

S4_winter_wheels.jpg

Isn't that just the standard A4 S-Line alloy? I've been asking a similar question at a local Audi dealer for my A4 as I'd like to change my 19" V spoke RS alloys to 18" wheels. They gave me 2 winter wheel with tyre options, 17" 5 y-spoke at about £1600 or 18" Gravis at £1800 for all 4. Both are a bit more than I wanted to spend but was thinking of having them on permanently as I'm petrified of damaging my current ones as they are £820 each to replace just for one wheel.

oh, and another thing to consider is if you ever want to use snow chains. The A4 winter tyres are 225 as chains can't be used with 245. Don't know if it is the same for the S4 but can't see why it wouldn't be.

I have A5 wheels on mine. 8.5j et29 with the same size tyres as in your screenshot and they clear the callipers fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used an eBay seller in Germany.
E.l. Onlinehandel I think they where called, £860 + £100 shipping, for genuine AUDI wheels and Pirelli Sottozero tyres with 7mm on them.
Plenty of similar ones on eBay around £1000

It doesn’t look like an S4 with these but at least it protects the 19’s from the ravages of road salt
59C59E79 8D43 48C1 8C9A 5212AC445D1A

^ wish I’d seen this eBay listings earlier, just had a total mission finding winter tires for the S4 (245/35 r19). Didn’t want to put 18’s on so got some Le Mans powder coated. (19/8.5 et43) Fit grand and imho look good.
2033698F 2060 44C3 952A 51B8AD9CFD13

Are these Gravis ones the ones your dealer quoted on? Personally I quite like them. Has anyone managed to get any decent discounts out of UK Audi parts departments on these?

https://shops.audi.com/en_GB/web/zu...eel-in-10-arm-gravis-design-8w0071498--8z8-14

I don’t know what wheels or tyres they were actually providing but the quote I got from Audi was £1700 for a winter setup! Definitely need a decent discount to make that worthwhile...

They do actually look very good, I'm not usually a fan of black wheels.

Isn't that just the standard A4 S-Line alloy?

I think you're right, they look just like the 18" 8J 5 Twin Spoke Star wheels in the current A4/S4 brochure. Waiting for a price from Audi on them.

oh, and another thing to consider is if you ever want to use snow chains. The A4 winter tyres are 225 as chains can't be used with 245. Don't know if it is the same for the S4 but can't see why it wouldn't be.

Having used chains in the past I'd never do it again, the crappiest job in the world fitting and removing them in freezing temperatures. Wouldn't work in 90% of UK situations where we go from snowed up country lanes onto cleared A roads and back again.

Looking to fit 18 rather than 19" since I prefer a bit more rubber between me and the road, especially on frozen ruts etc. The ride will be better too.

The ride is hugely better and you do get a little extra rubber for those hidden potholes.
The tyres are ‘squirmy’ though, especially high speed corners but that’s not what winters are for.

Be careful about offset if you're buying used wheels, the 18" audi winter alloy's I had on my b8 didn't fit the S4 due to clearance between the caliper and the inside of the spokes. The B9 calipers are significantly bigger than the B8. I had to use 12mm spacers in the end. Radial clearance is fine.

I believe that A5 wheels have a more agreeable offset.

Reactions: Daggerit
I used an eBay seller in Germany.
E.l. Onlinehandel I think they where called, £860 + £100 shipping, for genuine AUDI wheels and Pirelli Sottozero tyres with 7mm on them.
Plenty of similar ones on eBay around £1000

It doesn’t look like an S4 with these but at least it protects the 19’s from the ravages of road salt
View attachment 144507

Don’t suppose you have a link to them do you? Can’t find them on eBay!

i am also looking for a set of alloys and tires for my B9 S4

I used ideal reifen. They have a websit but also eBay shop. You can make an offer for a lot of their wheels and wheel / tyre combos as I did, and had mine accepted. Wheels arrived within 3-5 days and look perfect. These are 18”s for my Q5
6f675a5d7242cb3222f6d875a3a78242.jpg

^ wish I’d seen this eBay listings earlier, just had a total mission finding winter tires for the S4 (245/35 r19). Didn’t want to put 18’s on so got some Le Mans powder coated. (19/8.5 et43) Fit grand and imho look good.
I previously looked at having wheels powdercoated, but was advised against it, as the powdercoating, in fact, masks any cracks that may develop in the wheels.

Reactions: NevMan
I previously looked at having wheels powdercoated, but was advised against it, as the powdercoating, in fact, masks any cracks that may develop in the wheels.

+1 on this!!! Bought refurbed powder coated sline alloys for previous A6.

1. Bits of Powder coating came off when tyres fitted, so had to send back, and they redid. Cost me shipping!
2. Turns out alloys had hairline cracks!

Hence why I was very cautious when buying a set for my Q5 and ended up with OEM from Germany with Ideal Reifen. Comes with TUV cert, and spot on!

+1 on this!!! Bought refurbed powder coated sline alloys for previous A6.

1. Bits of Powder coating came off when tyres fitted, so had to send back, and they redid. Cost me shipping!
2. Turns out alloys had hairline cracks!

Hence why I was very cautious when buying a set for my Q5 and ended up with OEM from Germany with Ideal Reifen. Comes with TUV cert, and spot on!

Given the fact the wheels were cracked, clearly the powder coating was a sh1t bodge anyway, so don’t let my experience put anyone off powder coated wheels, but be as sure as you can on the seller/refurb

i have looked at their online site and cant find a set to fit a B9 S4

There does not seem to be any S4 sets on their site

i have looked at their online site and cant find a set to fit a B9 S4

There does not seem to be any S4 sets on their site

Mate, there are as I found some. Look for A4/S4 or why don’t you just contact them and ask?