Winter Wheels - are these ok

Markjb

Reaction score
I need to get winter tyres as I'll be driving across Europe in the winter.

I know that the recommended winter alloy size is 17" 7J ET42. I've found some that are 17" 8j ET45. Will the extra inch be a problem or will they be fine?

Thanks

Mark

Was looking at this site this morning,
No idea if it's of any help

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Markjb
I just bought a set of 4 4F0601025AS with Dunlop Wintersport 3D tyres (8mm tread) from JV-AUTOMOBILE Bosc… on e-bay for £600 including delivery from Germany
These are the OEM tyres and alloys for my C6 Allroad - I don't know what car you have but here is a parts database to get the numbers.
I did the same thing with my B5 Quattros and just changed wheels each November, back to normal in March.

The difference is unbelievable on the A4 Q, I'll find out this year on the C6 Allroad!

The width of the wheel is determined by the tyre size and the tyre footprint. Typically winter tyres are narrower than summer tyres and to maintain the smaller footprint having a slightly narrower rim gives the tyre tread a smaller contact patch. Going slightly wider stretches the tyre a little putting more tread on the road.
This calculator gives you a reasonable idea of what is recommended.

http://www.tyresizecalculator.com/tyre-wheel-calculators/tyre-size-for-rim-size-width-calculator

I have just bought some wheels for my B8 A4 for tsome track tyres but they would also make good winter wheels.
very good quality, speedline are made by Ronal who make a lot of OE wheels for VAG.
Very good price as well just over £300 for a complete set. The company sell steel wheels and tyres at very good prices as well.

http://www.tyreleader.co.uk/alloy-wheels/speedline-corse/sl2-marmora/7.5x17-5x112-et35-76-48472

Have a look atmy build thread linked in my signature.

Karl

Thanks for the replies - will do a bit of searching and reading

don't fall for the old-school thinking of narrower wheels for winter - that is for non-winter tyres / chunky off-road style M+S tyres that need to cut into the ice... modern winter tyres can be exactly the same size as summer tyres. Normally better to smaller rim sizes to allow more side-wall flex in winter roads, just don't make the same mistake that I nearly did: I nearly tried to put 17's on my A6 (C7) and then realised that the brake calipers only had about 2mm clearance on the 18"'s!!

I've bought a set from Germany as they were too expensive from English sellers.

Ended up with a set of 17" rims (7.5 J, 17" ET45) they are the 5 spoke set stock model no is 4F0601025AF, with a set of 225, 50, 17 Hankook IceBear winter tyres. My car is a 2011 C6 Avant 2.0tdi Special Edition with a set of 19" Le Mans alloys for summer so wanted something that was relatively nice looking for the winter set!

Should be here next week and will have them on the car by the end of November.

Will post some pics when done.....