Winter tyres

v8jas

I love v8's vrooom
Reaction score
Hi guys

I’ve just purchased a 2014 s3 sport back and need some advice on winter tyres and wheels.

Are there any oem wheels in 17” that will clear the s3 brakes ?

what size tyres for 17” or 18” rims.

many help would be grateful, the car is going to be used in uk and for skiing in France .

thanks guys

I would not go the expense of original OEM 18" wheels. There are many good options for replica or non OEM well made wheels, BBS and Hartmann wheels come to mind. Hartmann make replicas which will take OEM wheel inserts and lug bolts. Most others will require new tapered lug bolts. Also quality non OEM will supply correct bolts and wheel offset for your vehicle. Buy from Chinese Ebay at your own peril. One local Audi dealer im my neck of the woods, suggests and installs Hartmann over Audi OEM rims for snow tyres.
Snow tyres, look at test reviews for suggestions to suit you wallet and performance requirements.

Reactions: S32B
Look on eBay Germany for original alloys with winter tyres. I used 18s on mine with the same size of tyre as usual. I don’t think 17s will clear the callipers.

Check the sticker with tyre pressure on your car and see if 17s is listed. If it isn’t then it’s doubtful it will fit.
Remember the a3 is just a golf underneath so you can look for golf, Leon and Octavia wheels and they all should have the right offset, pcd, centre bore etc so no mucking about with stuff like spigot rings and wheel spacers. Vw, seat and Skoda wheels are cheaper and more readily available than Audi wheels.

Reactions: v8jas and Ron240
As above the tyre pressure sticker on the door will state the possible sizes for winter tyres and will be marked M+S (mud and snow).
My S3 has standard 235/35 R19, but can use winter tyres in 225/40 R18 and 205/50 R17 sizes.

Reactions: v8jas
As above the tyre pressure sticker on the door will state the possible sizes for winter tyres and will be marked M+S (mud and snow).
My S3 has standard 235/35 R19, but can use winter tyres in 225/40 R18 and 205/50 R17 sizes.
Hi guys

I’ve just purchased a 2014 s3 sport back and need some advice on winter tyres and wheels.

Are there any oem wheels in 17” that will clear the s3 brakes ?

what size tyres for 17” or 18” rims.

many help would be grateful, the car is going to be used in uk and for skiing in France .

thanks guys

I have a set of OEM winter wheels which I will be selling. from my 64 plate S3, perfect condition, 4 x virtually new tyres 225/40/R18, Pirelli sottozero 3, Audi part number 8V0 601 025 AJ, let me know if they are of interest

I have a set of OEM winter wheels which I will be selling. from my 64 plate S3, perfect condition, 4 x virtually new tyres 225/40/R18, Pirelli sottozero 3, Audi part number 8V0 601 025 AJ, let me know if they are of interest
Hi do you have any pictures and a price please ?

I was lucky enough to purchase a mint set of wheels and tyres from baloo450 , only issue was I went to change the wheels and found my locking wheel but key was broken.

so much for Audi 146 point check

I was lucky enough to purchase a mint set of wheels and tyres from baloo450 , only issue was I went to change the wheels and found my locking wheel but key was broken.

so much for Audi 146 point check
Wheel nut keys normally get broken by tyre fitters/mechanics rattling nuts on/off with high impact air guns.

Struggling to find winter tyres using black circles tyre finder. Does anyone know if there's winter tyres that fit the RS3 8v I've got the stock staggered wheel set up (front 255/30 19 & rear 235/35 19).
Cheers if anyone can help.

I put 16" wheels on with 205x55x16 Continental WinterContact TS860 all round. They are great.

Common size so easy to get too.

Camskill has some in your size but certainly worth considering something smaller than 19" wheels if they will fit.

https://www.camskill.co.uk/

Last edited:
Reactions: Spencer589
Iv got 19 inch rotors on my Q2 that I use all year round. I forget what tyres Iv got one them but I think they are Bridgestone and same set up as your rear tyres but for all 4. I’ll check and let you know.

Reactions: Spencer589
I put 16" wheels on with 205x55x16 Continental WinterContact TS860 all round. They are great.

Common size so easy to get too.

Camskill has some in your size but certainly worth considering something smaller than 19" wheels if they will fit.

https://www.camskill.co.uk/
Didn't know you could get 16's over the calipers on a RS3. Cheers for the help.

I don't have an RS3 so 16 inch wheels fit fine. You may get 17 or 18 inch to fit. Camskill did have both your current sizes though. I use seperate wheels so I can just change them over when I want instead of taking it in to get the tyres changed on the 18 inch wheels.

Neither did I on an RS3! Ya reckon, Really? Just measured 15mm clearance caliper to inside of a 19inch rim on an 8P RS3, and I'm sure the 8V caliper is a tad more larger and the rim a tad more smaller; must check/measure... :readit:

No excuses for interest, I do have a set of low miles/rare/no longer available 8P RS3 rims and winter tyres (all Audi supplied) for sale in The Trading Post

TT rims with winters rubber also, and maybe (waiting on purchaser) even rarer 185bhp A1 rotor rims with winter rubber: may as well let people know, fed up with the "why didn't you tell me" stuff...

OH, and I am a 'believer' in winter rubber, make no mistake, I'd make 'em 'legal' but that's another argument.

PLUS: Out today in 'FOG' and maybe 30% using headlights! And of them 90% I guess 30% don't have DRL's. Brain MEGA DEAD in a 'grey' colour car don't ya think!

Home safe now, lol...

Last edited: