Winter tyres?

Where did you get the nokians from?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Thundercliffe81
Do you mean emoji's? You probably can't see them in Tapatalk, I use web browsers...

I'm really undecided what to do here.

I'm out in the sticks in the South-East and obviously we are experiencing some pretty extreme weather right now but on average the winter months are fairly mild compared to more northerly parts of the UK. I don't do the kind of mileage whereby "winters" will pay for themselves over time, nor do I do a lot of night driving when temperatures fall but I do have a short drive early each weekday morning (07:30'ish) with kids on-board, so obviously want to be as safe as possible. Storage and swapping over isn't an issue for me.

I wont be in my car until May/June by which time this snow will be long forgotten so I'm thinking this might be a good time to pick up a bargin. Just not sure it's all really necessary given my circumstance.

Last edited:
Do you mean emoji's? You probably can't see them in Tapatalk, I use web browsers...

I meant the Nokians that thunder mentioned lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Going to sound like a silly question.... but how do I find out which alternative alloys would fit my new S4 B9?

Assuming there must be other specifications that they would have to meet in order to fit!

Don't know anything so please start from the beginning for this noob :)

Look here: https://www.wheel-size.com/size/audi/s4/ :readit:

I'm out in the sticks in the South-East and obviously we are experiencing some pretty extreme weather right now but on average the winter months are fairly mild compared to more northerly parts of the UK. I don't do the kind of mileage whereby "winters" will pay for themselves over time, nor do I do a lot of night driving when temperatures fall but I do have a short drive early each weekday morning (07:30'ish) with kids on-board, so obviously want to be as safe as possible. Storage and swapping over isn't an issue for me.

I wont be in my car until May/June by which time this snow will be long forgotten so I'm thinking this might be a good time to pick up a bargin. Just not sure it's all really necessary given my circumstance.
I'm in the South-East too and lucky enough to be able to walk to work if I really have to. When the weather is so bad you can't drive, the schools are shut anyway, so unless you've got some nasty hills to deal with, the factory tyres should really be fine. Let's face it, in this part of the country we get the odd blob of snow once a decade and I'd be pretty p**sed at spending money and time on putting winters on my car for the odd few days in every 10 years they may be needed.

It really does depend on how much of an inconvenience the very occasional day or two of not being able to use the car really is to you, and of course being big enough to say "I'm not driving in this". To be honest, the snow and ice doesn't bother me anyway near as much (OK, I don't like hills) as the tw**ts that drive around slipping and sliding into others......I'd rather keep my car out of the way for the sake of a few cancelled meetings and having to walk 30 or so minutes each way to work.

Reactions: Nickfrog
Question - if I look at the tyre sticker on my door I can see that it lists both my tyre - 245/40 R18 but also lists 225/45 R18 M + S (Mud & Snow?). Does this mean if I am looking for a set of All Season tyres to replace my Summer tyres on the same 18" alloys that my Audi came with I could fit either size? If I can is there any downside to fitting the 225/45 R18? Would they look strange?

Feel like at my age and years of driving I should know this but to be honest i've always just fitted the same tyre size as the cars came with so be kind... :grinning:

Check it yourself here: http://www.willtheyfit.com/index.php

As you can see there's little difference between the two - as the data shows - 245/40 R18 is 'EXISTING' and 225/45 R18 M+S is 'NEW':

Wheels and tyres 2 2

On my own RS3 - and TT and A1 - I use the same size tyre and rim as this provides me with a spare if and when needed.

This is the RS3 with 235/35 R19 winter and summer rubber:

Winter wheels and tyres 2

Hope this helps... :racer:

If I lived down your way I'd be having a pretty good look at Michelin CrossClimates. Good luck whatever you go for.

Reactions: DohNut and 45bvtc
I'm in the South-East too and lucky enough to be able to walk to work if I really have to. When the weather is so bad you can't drive, the schools are shut anyway, so unless you've got some nasty hills to deal with, the factory tyres should really be fine. Let's face it, in this part of the country we get the odd blob of snow once a decade and I'd be pretty p**sed at spending money and time on putting winters on my car for the odd few days in every 10 years they may be needed.

It really does depend on how much of an inconvenience the very occasional day or two of not being able to use the car really is to you, and of course being big enough to say "I'm not driving in this". To be honest, the snow and ice doesn't bother me anyway near as much (OK, I don't like hills) as the tw**ts that drive around slipping and sliding into others......I'd rather keep my car out of the way for the sake of a few cancelled meetings and having to walk 30 or so minutes each way to work.
Agreed, however I've been driving our fiesta with its standard Michelin tyres all week with no particular drama's and only took the A4 out yesterday. But you're right about other people on the road when, whatever tyres you have, you have little protection against. We came across a car having its roof cut off because they obviously drove down a hill and found they'd ran out of driving skills in the snow.
Our car has been the only one consistantly in the school car park as no-one else could get their cars up and down the steep hill outside it and several cars had been abandoned on castle hill hastings where as I have sailed up and down that hill in both cars with no drama's.
If, though, we have more harsh winters, and we don't know yet if this one is just a one off, I might consider some all weather tyres however at the moment I'm not about to panic. As you say, heed the warnings and stay in, a day's salary isn't worth being wiped out by some other idiot..

Reactions: Nickfrog

Interesting although winter tyres have little to do with snow. See it as a side benefit. I live in Sussex but commute through cold/damp/muddy/****** b-roads where winters give a lot more grip/safety than UHP summers. I could stay at home but I value my mobility and I probably like the idea of being at work when my team are there...
As for cost and inconvenience, winters have been 100% cost neutral on the past 3 cars and just require 45 mn twice a year to swap the wheels, which is also a great opportunity to properly clean the wheels/calipers and inspect the pads.

You can pick up cheap OE small wheels on ebay from people who have downgraded to bigger wheels (;-)), fit winters and sell on for the same outlay 2 years down the line.

Having said all that...I have fitted All Season tyre to the kids' Yaris and simply borrow that this year...

Basically it depends on many factors, there isn't a right/wrong answer.

40 mile round trip to and from work in the snow, plus taking the Mrs to work and back, no real issues on my summer tyres.
We don't have the same climate here as other parts of the country.
We don't even run winter tyres at work and we were out all evening dealing with stranded motorists in the snow. Take it smooth and steady and as long as there is no massive hills, you should be fine.

I don't have storage space for extra wheels or tyres. I've got Goodyear Eagle F1's

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Storage and swapping over isn't an issue for me.

I think you answered your own question here. If you can afford a set why wouldn't you ?

I picked up a cheapish set of Audi winter wheels/ytres for our (heavily used) A1 this week, To justify it to myself I checked the average temperatures to see if we get sub 7 degrees (the temp where they start to work) for long enough to get a benefit - October to March seems about right.

Reactions: 45bvtc
Melting here now, +5c, most of the snow or ice on roads has vanished, even warm enough to wash a car...