Winter tyres + Quattro = Awesome

Joetidman

Reaction score
The title says it all. I got some winter tyres fitted about two weeks ago and this was the first time out in proper snow with them this morning on my S5. Quite deep slush and snow with other drivers struggling (especially a local BMW 2-series coupe all over the shop). Honestly it was amazing. I did a trip to the local supermarket, and back without traction control or ABS firing once. Breaking was just like in rain at worst, and acceleration and control was superb. I tried a few sharp turns of the steering wheel and got really good responses. Even driving like a bit of a nob (with no one else around) couldn’t unsettle it. Highly recommended

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: aliwtsnS5, MrSkimo, Daggerit and 1 other person
The title says it all. I got some winter tyres fitted about two weeks ago and this was the first time out in proper snow with them this morning on my S5. Quite deep slush and snow with other drivers struggling (especially a local BMW 2-series coupe all over the shop). Honestly it was amazing. I did a trip to the local supermarket, and back without traction control or ABS firing once. Breaking was just like in rain at worst, and acceleration and control was superb. I tried a few sharp turns of the steering wheel and got really good responses. Even driving like a bit of a nob (with no one else around) couldn’t unsettle it. Highly recommended

Glad somebody else agrees cracking isn't it.

Reactions: Joetidman and Daggerit
I don't have winter tyres but I got the benefit of my quattro yesterday. Due to there being a major queue on the M4 I had to divert to the A4. I had a long journey to make so I really couldn't abide sitting behind vehicles doing 30mph* in 60mph zones with no dual carriageways forthcoming. Having had the overnight snow the centre of each side of the road was mostly clear, just a bit slushy, but in the middle there was a wide layer of deep snow. Reminding my wife that my S5 has 4WD and that I had done a skidpan course, I waited patiently for opportunities to safely overtake and did so on several occasions, ploughing into the snow. But I needn't have worried. Apart from feeling a very slight twitch on the steering when one of the wheels might initially lose traction, the quattro was rock solid.

*I really do NOT blame other drivers for being careful. However I do blame those few who seemed to believe that my act of overtaking is the biggest crime of the century. Such people are totally ignorant of how much less safe their cheap 2WD car is to drive in such conditions than my expensive 4WD car.

Reactions: Joetidman
Agreed dippy, Quattro on its own is great, having driven for years on summer tyres with Quattro cars. The difference with winters is the car control and breaking imo. Quattro doesn’t help much with either (zero on breaking) which is where the winters come into their own, but Quattro traction beats 2WD all day long if both cars are on summer tyres

Reactions: Daggerit
This thread is super useful, i have never considered winter tyres, but the front tyres that came with my quatrro have been a sh*t in the recent bit of rain that we have had SE England, i feel them losing grip as i power through a corner. This has persuaded me to replace all four with good quality winter tyres.
Also these two videos have shown how much difference there is between summer and winter tyres:

Question, do you run two sets of alloys, each with summer and winter tyres, or do you simply replace the rubber on the same set of wheels?

This thread is super useful, i have never considered winter tyres, but the front tyres that came with my quatrro have been a sh*t in the recent bit of rain that we have had SE England, i feel them losing grip as i power through a corner. This has persuaded me to replace all four with good quality winter tyres.
Also these two videos have shown how much difference there is between summer and winter tyres:

Question, do you run two sets of alloys, each with summer and winter tyres, or do you simply replace the rubber on the same set of wheels?

Ideally separate set of alloys for winter tyres, then avoids alloys being damaged as has happened to me before, even using so say "reliable" fitters, but clearly gets costly.