Winter Mode ON: Post Your Winter Setup

KemiksiZ

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I checked but could not see, I think we do not have that kinda topic which we share our winter setups & specs.

So here you are, mine;

BBS Replica: 18*9 - et35 - 225/40/18 Achillies Winter Tyres

Reactions: ACWKGYTO, Ironborn and 45bvtc
S3 with OEM Black Edition wheels shod with Dunlop Wintersport 3D's from Audi! Little dearer to buy but they look after my tyres when not on the car and one price covers 2 sets of changes and is as cheap as any tyre fitter for me. Well worth it.

What suspension setup are you running?

Hi Guys,

I checked but could not see, I think we do not have that kinda topic which we share our winter setups & specs.

So here you are, mine;

BBS Replica: 18*9 - et35 - 225/40/18 Achillies Winter Tyres

Love the concaveness of those alloys. But how on gods earth have you managed to fit a 9j et35 upfront? I thought the limits were:
Front: 9J 40+ OR 8.5J et 35
Rear: 9.5J et:29+

one or the other depending on what I'm doing:

3475582003fc3d0dd6617aee4fb8055c_zps5c15cd6b.jpg

null_zps912467eb.jpg

Love the concaveness of those alloys. But how on gods earth have you managed to fit a 9j et35 upfront? I thought the limits were:
Front: 9J 40+ OR 8.5J et 35
Rear: 9.5J et:29+

Your limits are totally off I think :D
Rear 9.5J with et 29 is imposible.. I tried 9.5's with et 42 with 255-30-19's, it was rubbing like you can not drive.
I run 19*9 et 33 on the rears normally, rubs when you are 2+ person in the car. Using the SAME setup in the front, very little rubbing whn I bounced high :) (225-40-18 tyres all 4 )

----------------

I run on H&R but the front is a little high right now..

Oops I meant 9j ET29 rear,guy on here called MTW is running that set up. So much conflicting information when it come alloys on this thread. I see you manage to fit the S3 brakes aswell, the look very nice indeed.

Anyway here is my winter set:
18 RS6, et54,7.5, 15 spacers rear, 10mm spacers front, winter tyres.

SDC101900

Reactions: sliced
Anyon havin trouble coz of 225 or wider tyres? On snow or on ice.

This threads up my street atm....

12148689583_9c8e211abc.jpg

Bridgestone Blizzaks. 225/40 R18 Rotors

Havent bothered this winter, as there hasnt been one here....yet ! Just wet

Looked into winter wheels/tyres but decided I'd try the quattro first on my s3 p8 before shelling out

Glad I did

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391475220738634

Old set of a4 15" alloys (bought on gumtree for a tasty price) wrapped in Nokian WRD3 winter tyres 195/65R15.

Not the prettiest alloys admittedly and missing my 17's for the look but will serve their purpose if and when the snow comes. Don't want to go flying into a kerb and destroy my good alloys like last year in my old car!

Last edited:
View attachment 26922

Old set of a4 15" alloys (bought on gumtree for a tasty price) wrapped in Nokian WRD3 winter tyres 195/65R15.

Not the prettiest alloys admittedly and missing my 17's for the look but will serve their purpose if and when the snow comes. Don't want to go flying into a kerb and destroy my good alloys like last year in my old car!

I feel you :) I was using old 16 black alloys but since I have S3 brakes, I jumped on those 18s :))

Yeah mines just standard at the moment so the 15's have exactly the same rolling distance as my 17's so was just a logical choice for me.

Only had the car a few months but I HATE the back without the s-line spoiler or similar! As soon as I find one that's a good price I'll be snapping it up and getting it fitted! Refuse to spend the £300 or whatever audi want but I need it in my life at the same time!!

I run Continental Winter Contact TS830P all round for winter, outstanding tyres and really make access to the Scottish ski resports a doddle.

Racks on too and Audi rubber mats :)

B004DC30-2A66-4FB4-9C85-99BA75C57B2B_zpspucnr9mm.jpg~original

Reactions: SPARTAN91
Same as my summer setup.

Michelin Supersports 245x18x9 and TC off.

Reactions: warren_S5 and S.
Yeah mines just standard at the moment so the 15's have exactly the same rolling distance as my 17's so was just a logical choice for me.

Only had the car a few months but I HATE the back without the s-line spoiler or similar! As soon as I find one that's a good price I'll be snapping it up and getting it fitted! Refuse to spend the £300 or whatever audi want but I need it in my life at the same time!!

I have a s3 8p spoiler for sale, let me know if interested... Bought two so one for sale now... Pm me if interested

I don't mean to come across as ignorant, I'm actually interested to know what the actual point of a winter set up is in the uk? What's wrong with running the same wheels and tyres in the summer and winter? Does it really make much difference? I've never had any problems running the same all year round that's all.

I don't mean to come across as ignorant, I'm actually interested to know what the actual point of a winter set up is in the uk? What's wrong with running the same wheels and tyres in the summer and winter? Does it really make much difference? I've never had any problems running the same all year round that's all.

I'll answer that.

Firstly, I do circa 16k per year and umpteen trips from Glasgow to Inverness and further north. Also quite a few journeys from Glasgow up the west coast, over Glencoe, Fort William and then on to Skye, a lot of the time through the Winter and sometimes you can get caught in some extreme weather, there's no avoiding it at times. Good winter tyres will allow you to go on and on the difference they make in snow is something you have to experience for yourself to appreciate, I cant tell you how good they are, they just are.

It's not just snow either, the difference winter tyres make to your stopping distances in sub 5 degree temperatures or even just plain old wet weather is astonishing, go watch some comparisons on youtube if you doubt me.

It's actually a really good investment, a full set of good winter tyres will last me 3 winters easily, this allows me to rotate my summer tyres so in turn they also last a lot longer, you're not losing out on anything and gaining a huge advantage in terms of safety and reliability.

£500 worth of tyres that will last 3 years and near double the life of my summer tyres, when driving a £20,000 S3, often with my toddler son and mrs in it (so safety is paramount) is a no brainer for me.

I'll never go another winter without having a set of winter tyres to hand.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ironborn and Alex_007
I'll answer that.

Firstly, I do circa 16k per year and umpteen trips from Glasgow to Inverness and further north. Also quite a few journeys from Glasgow up the west coast, over Glencoe, Fort William and then on to Skye, a lot of the time through the Winter and sometimes you can get caught in some extreme weather, there's no avoiding it at times. Good winter tyres will allow you to go on and on the difference they make in snow is something you have to experience for yourself to appreciate, I cant tell you how good they are, they just are.

It's not just snow either, the difference winter tyres make to your stopping distances in sub 5 degree temperatures or even just plain old wet weather is astonishing, go watch some comparisons on youtube if you doubt me.

It's actually a really good investment, a full set of good winter tyres will last me 3 winters easily, this allows me to rotate my summer tyres so in turn they also last a lot longer, you're not losing out on anything and gaining a huge advantage in terms of safety and reliability.

£500 worth of tyres that will last 3 years and near double the life of my summer tyres, when driving a £20,000 S3, often with my toddler son and mrs in it (so safety is paramount) is a no brainer for me.

I think that does make very good sense,despite my slightly tongue in cheek post below.

In proper snow or icy conditions,and not the swampy conditions we have down in the softy South,it makes a big difference to have a tyre compound that actually works in sub-zero situations.

Reactions: Muzza80 and Alex_007
This winter so far, not needed for me, I live in an urban area and dont really do much long distance driving

All depends where you are and what you use the car for

In proper snow or icy conditions,and not the swampy conditions we have down in the softy South, it makes a big difference to have a tyre compound that actually works in sub-zero situations.

Speak for yourself - down in the Garden of England (the real SE) the amount of A and B roads that got closed on the way back to my house was ridiculous. Over 200 cars abandoned at the bottom of the main hill to the village I live in... (pic 16)

Folkestone and Hythe snow chaos: pictures | This is Kent

Lakeside is usually very well gritted though- especially around the Ikea area ;-)

Also note- using the incorrect tyres in conditions will also increase the wear and tear....e.g using summers in winter or winter tyres in summer.

I'll answer that.

Hello

Thanks for all the Info

I don't think that answer can be topped .

Investment wise it would be no good to me as I tend to change my cars within 12 months.

I see Stopping distance as the main advantage, I've never had issues with stopping tbh , even on 21 inch rims on decent tyres the grip was still good...well I was still impressed anyway.

I think I still will always stick with one set all year round even if decided to keep the car for long period.

Each to there own though.

Thanks for your input

Cheers

Speak for yourself - down in the Garden of England (the real SE) the amount of A and B roads that got closed on the way back to my house was ridiculous. Over 200 cars abandoned at the bottom of the main hill to the village I live in... (pic 16)

Folkestone and Hythe snow chaos: pictures | This is Kent

Lakeside is usually very well gritted though- especially around the Ikea area ;-)

Also note- using the incorrect tyres in conditions will also increase the wear and tear....e.g using summers in winter or winter tyres in summer.

We haven't had any snow...yet...and I'm hoping we dont.

The last lot we got was pretty bad in terms of roads closed,and the lowest temp I saw was below -10C,but the car coped well enough on the Michelin PS3s I had at the time.
The R888s would have been scary,not to mention uncertified for use below freezing!

In any case there's been plenty of marrooned cars,and the usual people parked in ditches when they ran out of road and skill presumably,but I think that a lot of people simply don't treat poor conditions with anything like the respect they deserve.

Reactions: Alex_007
Here's mine...

72edb1312b291fbbb734e9e575dc4099_zps5b3c1c94.jpg

Sweet, what MPG you get with those?

I live in the South West on an A road that they seem to grit if the temperature drops below 10 degrees C so no need for special tyres. Was it last winter where snow fell in ridiculous amounts? Drove back in my old car to my folks house, not a soul on the road, was a phenomenal drive. Did it in about 45 minutes, usually takes an hour.

Winter screen wash; check
Adapt driving style and braking distances; check
Leather heated seats set to 4; check
Sweaty **** crack; check
Done

Had just legal 19" Toyos summer tyres on in 2011 Xmas when we had a period of snow and only the front ground clearance caused me any trouble. I do believe winter tyres are the way forward, but I learned to drive on very fine dust tracks in my teens (private roads and fields in Spain), and I've never felt particularly out of my comfort zone on slippery surfaces.

It's other people that worry me as much as anything, but TBH I should look at getting some at some point.

Reactions: S3Alex
Who's still running their winter tyres at the moment?

Temperatures are starting to get towards 10C here and looking forward are going to stay around that temperature and rise. Hence I'm thinking about taking my winter wheels off now and going back to my summer set up as the winter tyres are now 'squiffy' on the warmer days and starting to wear down fast!

Anyone else changed yet or staying in winter mode for a bit longer?

I still have mine on, and I'm having the same feelings as you.

I'll give it until 1st March and if still warm. They're off.

Yeah I might just play it safe and do the same! I don't want to take them off now and regret it if it's freezing again next week! Too much hassle to take off clean up and put away to have to reverse it a week later!