Windscreen :(

Spooky

Reaction score
well I had 2 days in the office this week,
That will be a nice run for the new car and a chance to see how it goes.

4 miles in on my way to work yesterday on the M4 - ping. Stone flicks up and chip the lower right of the windscreen...frustrating yes? But should be repairable

On my way home from work today, just joined the M4 at Reading, plodding around 65/70 in the fast lane, and what must have been one of the Stonehenge stones, or maybe similar in size to the iceberg that took down the titanic (ok slight exaggeration) comes out of nowhere, and puts an enormous crack in the lower left of the windscreen (12 inches with a massive impact point after it stopped spreading)
So frustrated, now I have to hope that auto glass of whoever can deal with changing it and not screwing the rain sensor etc...

I picked the car up 7 days ago :( :( :(

4 miles in on my way to work yesterday on the M4 - ping. Stone flicks up and chip the lower right of the windscreen...frustrating yes? But should be repairable

On my way home from work today, just joined the M4 at Reading, plodding around 65/70 in the fast lane, and what must have been one of the Stonehenge stones, or maybe similar in size to the iceberg that took down the titanic (ok slight exaggeration) comes out of nowhere, and puts an enormous crack in the lower left of the windscreen (12 inches with a massive impact point after it stopped spreading)
So frustrated, now I have to hope that auto glass of whoever can deal with changing it and not screwing the rain sensor etc...

They did a good job on my B8 RS4 when they replaced the screen with a load of sensors.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

I feel your pain.. I had to buy a new tyre as there was a screw in mine right on the edge so couldn't be repaired. Less than 1000 miles on the clock. Got tyre cover as well but it only covers repairable punctures or worn out tyres.

OK AutoGlass have been good so far, after some confusion about the exact model (my reg was coming up as an A6 on their systems) they have confirmed they are ordering OE glass direct from Audi - or who ever supplies them...which will take a few days..

OK AutoGlass have been good so far, after some confusion about the exact model (my reg was coming up as an A6 on their systems) they have confirmed they are ordering OE glass direct from Audi - or who ever supplies them...which will take a few days..
I had them fit oe glass as well and it came with the mounting for all the sensors etc pre bonded. If you have lane departure on your car you should be advised to take it to your dealer to have it recalibrate.

I did not bother I just checked it worked before the screen change as Audi would charge which is not covered as part of the screen swap.

I feel your pain,

4 days into getting my new car someone broke my taillights when it was parked! :frown new:
Now the whole ordeal of getting the insurance claim and getting it replaced. Value of the car already dropped!

Stay strong.

Indeed, given that you just cant replace the plastic bit. Plus there was a deep scratch just above the exhaust. It just bad luck i need to give to my local dealer as they have quite the reputaion of taking forever to fix. I picked my car from the dealership in the next city.

I feel your pain,

4 days into getting my new car someone broke my taillights when it was parked! :frown new:
Now the whole ordeal of getting the insurance claim and getting it replaced. Value of the car already dropped!

Stay strong.

would you mind taking some pics of it? hope its not that bad..

Just had my new one for 2 weeks and need a new screen already due to stone chips.. Check with your insurance company before getting it replaced as the Camera/Sensors in the screen will need calibrating by Audi (5+ hour workshop job). Found this out today from NationalWindscreens who were supposed to be doing it. It's now being replaced and calibrated by Audi next week due to possible insurance implications of driving with the system un-calibrated..

Last edited:
Just had my new one for 2 weeks and need a new screen already due to stone chips.. Check with your insurance company before getting it replaced as the Camera/Sensors in the screen will need calibrating by Audi (5+ hour workshop job). Found this out today from NationalWindscreens who were supposed to be doing it. It's now being replaced and calibrated by Audi next week due to possible insurance implications of driving with the system un-calibrated..

Not a chance it is a 5+ hour job to re-calibrate, I had my RS4 screen done last year and whilst advised to have it checked all functions (lane assist, side assist and "radar cruise") worked perfectly fine, I sold it to a dealer shortly afterwards and told them so they were aware of it and they said it was not a big job.

The mounting points for the sensors come pre-bonded to the screen and the sensors just unplug and clip in, make sure it is an OEM screen that is being fitted.

Not a chance it is a 5+ hour job to re-calibrate, I had my RS4 screen done last year and whilst advised to have it checked all functions (lane assist, side assist and "radar cruise") worked perfectly fine, I sold it to a dealer shortly afterwards and told them so they were aware of it and they said it was not a big job.

The mounting points for the sensors come pre-bonded to the screen and the sensors just unplug and clip in, make sure it is an OEM screen that is being fitted.

Hopefully you're right about the 5+ hours but that's what was stated by Glasgow Audi, not sure about your RS4 last year but the regulations changed 01/08/16 regarding the need for calibration. To be fair it's a big gray area currently so I've erred on the side of caution and booked it with the dealership.

http://aga.uk.net/advanced-driver-assistance-systems/

Also the likes of Autoglass/National Windscreens CAN do this it's just a workshop only job and dependent on the one nearest to you having the equipment.

Hopefully you're right about the 5+ hours but that's what was stated by Glasgow Audi, not sure about your RS4 last year but the regulations changed 01/08/16 regarding the need for calibration. To be fair it's a big gray area currently so I've erred on the side of caution and booked it with the dealership.

http://aga.uk.net/advanced-driver-assistance-systems/
I think booking in with the dealer is a good idea, they should then stand the calibration check as part of the job.