Windscreen Crack

MarcQuinlivan

Reaction score
Website
audiretrofit.quinlivan.net
Have a small crack in the windscreen - it is not noticeable, but I want to get if fixed before it gets any bigger.

Has anybody tried any of those DIY glue jobs, and if so, which one is the best?

Most car insurance companies will send out someone to repair it for free (and without affecting your NCB).

If it needs replacing, they'll charge you £50(ish) according to your policy.

SamDude said:
Most car insurance companies will send out someone to repair it for free (and without affecting your NCB).

If it needs replacing, they'll charge you £50(ish) according to your policy.
Yeah, my policy includes free windscreen replacement - no questions asked, with no impact on the NCB. They don't even need to send somebody out to inspect it.

The thing is, since it is such a small crack, I don't want to replace the screen at this stage. I'd rather just stick a bit of whatever it is into it to stop the crack from spreading.

But if the glass company turn up and can fix it rather than replace then they will

If you do it through your insurance company, does it count as a claim?

Not with most insurers and there is no excess to pay if it can be repaired. Usually an excess of around £60.00 if the screen is replaced.

h5djr said:
Not with most insurers and there is no excess to pay if it can be repaired. Usually an excess of around £60.00 if the screen is replaced.
over here (at least with my insurer) there is no excess to pay. The replacement is FOC and does not affect the NCB.

Marc,

Sounds best to just go with the experts, no cost, no fuss and better than messing around with one of those fix it yourself kits.

BTW - do all insurance companies in Ireland offer that sort of insurance cover? From my driving in Ireland years ago, windscreens were always getting whacked with stones so that must be expensive for the insurance companies!

smee said:
BTW - do all insurance companies in Ireland offer that sort of insurance cover? From my driving in Ireland years ago, windscreens were always getting whacked with stones so that must be expensive for the insurance companies!
from what I understand most of them provide it. I think one or two of them started offering it, and then the others followed suit.

It may limit you to one per year or something like that. I think I've had two windscreens replaced on various cars before.

Sounds like a good deal. Our excess is £50 for a replacement windscreen, I know because I had to get one a couple of weeks ago. For the other halves, Scenic not for the A3.