Windows Tints

Mike_R

Reaction score
Hi guys,

So I have more or less installed my double din sat nav now. Big thanks to the guys on this. My next project I would like to have done is to have the windows tinted.

I have seen a few posts on here where people have done the back windows around 35% tint. Because I have installed a sat nav double din, and even though it well jammed in, I would like tint the front windows for additional security plus I dont see the point in doing half

What do you guys reckon to tints, I don't want to take the car to look over the top. Just on a nice smart level. Once I get home I will post some pics of the car. it's a 2006 2.0 T a4.

Would you guys recommend 35% back and front or slightly darker / lighter either way.

And do you know anyone from the Derby (midlands) area that could potentially have this done for me. and what is the normal costs.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

There are laws governing the tinting of front windows. IIRC, it is illegal to tint your front windscreen and there is a maximum limit for the driver/passenger window. You are likely to get stopped by the Police as it is something they are particularly hot on.

Hi Mike,
I have had my windows tinted, highly recommended, however be careful with the percentages, according to VOSA (I know a guy who works or them) near and offside front windows must allow no less than 75% of light transmission, this comes under the "danger of injury" law, the rear windows on mine are as dark as I could get.
So.... happy tinting.

I used a company called The Tintman, from Essex, total cost £175 (thats 7 windows in all).

Mac

£175 sounds good, sounds very good! I paid £250 for all my tints on my old B6, I had 75% on all the side windows, and 50% on the rear. IMO, it was plenty. With a black interior it made the car from the outside look very dark, and it looked classy too. 50% on the rear was nice, as it was likely having an auto dimming rear view mirror at night.

One thing I would say is when tinting the rear window, spend the extra time removing the trim around the window on the inside. Otherwise you get a very small gap (probably 3 or 4mm) and it just really annoyed me.

On a side note, I tried window tinting myself the other day on my step dads nissan navara. ****** hell its difficult! Yeah, you can get the tint for like £10, but it is very much worth the extra to pay a professional to do it as you will never get it as good as they do!

£175 sounds good, sounds very good! I paid £250 for all my tints on my old B6, I had 75% on all the side windows, and 50% on the rear. IMO, it was plenty. With a black interior it made the car from the outside look very dark, and it looked classy too. 50% on the rear was nice, as it was likely having an auto dimming rear view mirror at night.

One thing I would say is when tinting the rear window, spend the extra time removing the trim around the window on the inside. Otherwise you get a very small gap (probably 3 or 4mm) and it just really annoyed me.

On a side note, I tried window tinting myself the other day on my step dads nissan navara. ****** hell its difficult! Yeah, you can get the tint for like £10, but it is very much worth the extra to pay a professional to do it as you will never get it as good as they do!
Absolutely agree, best off to have it professionally done.

Hi Guys,

Sorry, i should have said i didnt want to do the front screen. Just the side and back window.

Well if anyone knows of any tint people around derby, then please let me know. Am sure to give them a bell in the next few days.

I think i might follow Chris. 75% side and 50% back. Chris do you have any photos of your car.

Thanks again guys.

Ooooh a chance to whore my old car....

autotrader10.jpg

autotrader2.jpg

a4041.jpg

a4035.jpg

I went for 35% rear screen & rear side windows, and 45% on the front side windows...

A4_01006.jpg

It depends on the quality & thickness of the film. I paid £250 & I went for a midrange film. The cheaper film would have been £175, the top film would have been £400. Also, the cheaper films don't have as many percentage grades.

I got mine done by these guys: Tint My Car | Exclusive Window Tinting London

An older pic, but a side-on one:

car7.jpg

Last edited:
Guys how do you get your pics to show up that way in posts

A mate did mine for me as he used to do it as his profession, he has done two cars for me and uses 3M film which is really very good, don't get sh*te for £10 a roll it's only worth £10. It looks pretty to good if you match back and front or at least have them similar. Mine are very dark all round and so far iv had no trouble and mine gets parked in P station car park everyday. Police tend to vary from place to place on how they take tints.

Last week in Bradford roads policing were pulled up alongside me looking through the tints into the car on M62 and they just drove off.

Guys how do you get your pics to show up that way in posts

You have to use [ IMG ] [ /IMG ] around the link of the picture, just take out the spaces. Or click the little picture of a tree above the text reply box! The one that says Insert Image.

You have to use [ IMG ] [ /IMG ] around the link of the picture, just take out the spaces. Or click the little picture of a tree above the text reply box! The one that says Insert Image.

Thanks Chris i'll give that a go

Mac

I too, like Ultramods got mine done at TINT MY CAR!

They are excellent, though take AGES and have kept me waiting for so long on previous cars...BUT, if you book in advance, drop it in and touch wood they get it done on time then you'll be extremely happy. They do an excellent job and use very good quality tint.

I paid £180 on my avant, due to discount because i was a previous customer...

FAO ULTRAMODS: Are you a local boy? I'm from down the road, Wanstead?

I too, like Ultramods got mine done at TINT MY CAR!

They are excellent, though take AGES and have kept me waiting for so long on previous cars...BUT, if you book in advance, drop it in and touch wood they get it done on time then you'll be extremely happy. They do an excellent job and use very good quality tint.

I paid £180 on my avant, due to discount because i was a previous customer...

FAO ULTRAMODS: Are you a local boy? I'm from down the road, Wanstead?

Not too local - I'm in Hornsey, N8.

I think I saw their ad on Gumtree of all places!