Windows Tinted

S3mad

Dark Knight
Reaction score
Hi all,

long time no speak im looking at getting my windows tinted in the a3 if you have had your windows tinted what % did you go im thinking 20% rear and fronts clear ?

We tinted our mk2 G60 before but that was easy with the windows out but then again it took all day. Is anyone on here a local car tinter im based near london if that help :)

also does anyone have pics of there Audi 3 Door tinted ?

Thanks

S3MAD

I went for the one down from limo black I think they were 20%, picture in my sig

Reactions: S3mad
Jay,

have you a bigger picture looks like you have the same color A3 as me :)

Auu

i had my a3 tinted, got 80%tint at the back and i think 30% at the front

Old School Windscreens in Chertsey area, Eva or her brother are great people, very good professional tinters.

Thanks for that will have to check them out :)

Old School Windscreens in Chertsey area, Eva or her brother are great people, very good professional tinters.

does anyone know the % they have in the Audi tint pack?

Its not quite dark enough for my linking so was thinking at some point to get the rear done again with a limo to darken down the rest

I think its 20%

im going to have a go tinting my own windows do it with the m2 G60 and looked the nuts.

does anyone know the % they have in the Audi tint pack?

Its not quite dark enough for my linking so was thinking at some point to get the rear done again with a limo to darken down the rest

Personally I would go for legal tint all round, looks so much cleaner

Thanks to oldschoolwindscreens they did a amazing job and a quality service if anyone lives around the surrey area i would recommend this company great customer service and the job the end result is great !

Old School Windscreens

Last edited:
What can I say, they are extremely good at what they do & a price I'd pay everyday of the week for the professionalism, brilliant workmanship :)

Thanks for update & hopefully others will use them aswell based on this feedback.

Please beware of having fronts tinted.
From 2000 on ward the fronts only allow upto 86% of light through so any film will then make it illegal.
New rules in the uk now state that any vehicle with tinted front windows which are illegal now has a void car insurance.
So in a accident your screwed, if someone dies then this becomes even more serious as your driving a defective car.
Next year they are looking at bringing this into the MOT, so your car will fail and be even more seriously prosecuted if having such film.
How do I know this?, I've run my own tinting and wrapping company for a number years and have alot of dealing with VOSA and police forces.
And no, under no circumstances will I tint any front windows with shaded film as I would not like to be held responsible for the death of anyone due to making a car defective.
Don't get me wrong, I like the look of it but the law is getting very strict on it.

All I can say is, I'd you've had it done just be extra careful
Matt

ive had limo all back and front light tint.

IMG 3111

Last edited:
I thought the law stated that 70% of light has to be allowed through the front side windows. Thus if as standard 86% is allowed through there appears to be scope for some tinting?

no disrespect but that looks to dark for me.

Yes your correct anyone that does have front tints will have to watch out and i havent time for this its just not worth the risk.

QUOTE=andrecc;1680520]ive had limo all back and front light tint.

View attachment 7047[/QUOTE]

The law requires that the windows on the vehicle allow at least:

• 75 per cent of light through the front windscreen
  • 70 per cent of light through the front side windows

your allowed to tint front windows. but must manufacturer will have a film inside the glass so applying light tints to the front will make it illegal.

Just copied this from the dvla website.

The law requires that the windows on the vehicle allow at least:75 per cent of*light through the front windscreen70 per cent*of light through the front side windowsIn most modern vehicles there is a slight tint added to the windows when they are made. If you add any more tint it’s likely to result in the windows failing to meet the legal requirements.The rules on tinted windows don’t apply to the rear windscreen or the rear passenger windows.

I think the answer is that if you want to stay legal you will need to go to a tinter who has a light measuring device

Of which I do.
Your correct in saying about 75% though legally. However as I mentioned they come out the factory with 86% give or take a bit.
So that leaves with 10% to play with which you cannot buy as the film only goes from 5% (limo) to 70% vlt. So you would need to find a 90% visable light transmission film, which is worth nothing hence why it's not made.
Saying all that, IF you provide a medical certificate saying your skin is very sensitive to UVA & or UVB then the windows in front of the B pillar inc windscreen can by darkened past the legal limit.
Don't get me wrong, alot of tinters will tint the fronts as its money, but they don't explain the law to you even if you already know it

no disrespect but that looks to dark for me.

Yes your correct anyone that does have front tints will have to watch out and i havent time for this its just not worth the risk.

QUOTE=andrecc;1680520]ive had limo all back and front light tint.

View attachment 7047
[/QUOTE]

If you have any sort of accident in that and the law is called you will be prosecuted even if its not ur fault as you have an illegal and defective car.
Also of an insurance inspector assess your car for damage after an accident and see those windows, you will not get any payout nor would the third party. The third party would then sue you for damages to there car, you will have points or even a ban depending on the severity of the accident.
All this for £60 worth of tinting??

Ok so im thinking of getting windows tinted on my sportback, i went too a local tint garage down my way and the choices were 5%, 18%, 35% and 70%.
Now he said that Audi come too his garage and go for the 18% as factory on all Audi's. Would this be the better option too make it look more OEM or going for the darker one? Also is it worth risking tinting the fronts due too the new laws that have recently put in place?
If anyone has any pictures of black sportbacks tinted that would be great and help make my mind up.

Cheers

Just obey the laws - then you know you won't be pulled. Also, if it's a responsible tint place they should not do the work if they know it's illegal.

Why try and flout the regulations when you know that you will always be at risk, not only with the police but also with safety !

Unless of course you believe you are a boy racer and can get away with it ! lol

Agree with the above. I never tint fronts as its on my conscience and even more so if they had an accident and someone was hurt.
Your right in saying that 18% is factory looking. Next down is limo and is **** on 99% of cars and will look boy racerish.

I do maybe 2 out of 50 in limo for main dealers and there normally vans.

Obviously your choice

I defo think the guy who i spoke too was right in saying its too much of a risk with tinting the fronts and the OEM way is defo the best way too go!