Windows rattling

SilureMark

Reaction score
First problem with my S3 and I've had it just a month ... the front windows are rattling in their frames every time I go over a bump. Not a small rattle either. This only happens when it's raining and you know what? This is EXACTLY the SAME problem I had with my last S3!!! It took the dealer about six attempts to fix it, so here we go again. Not amused... anyone else got the same problem? It must be a common fault - the windows are essentially moving around in the seals. It's a very loud and unpleasant juddering noise that I get from both windows every time I go over the slightest bump in the road. Only way to get rid of it is to open the windows, which isn't an option when it's ******* with rain. GRRR.

Yep, thanks for that. You're on the money there. Popped into the dealer yesterday am and they've fixed the problem along the lines you describe. It'll no doubt have to go back every few months for more of the same, just like my last S3. Let's hope not, but I have my doubts...

Mine does this, not got round to having it fixed yet due to it being fairly dry lately.

Yep, thanks for that. You're on the money there. Popped into the dealer yesterday am and they've fixed the problem along the lines you describe. It'll no doubt have to go back every few months for more of the same, just like my last S3. Let's hope not, but I have my doubts...

The stuff they used when they fixed my A1 was the Gummi Pfledge but in a silver "Audi" OEM packaging. The dealer said save £6 on buy it on Ebay,

Was much easier to do it myself than keep going in to the dealer. Their diagnosis from memory was something to do with keeping the car outside with the sun shining on it for long periods. The seals would dry out?

The stuff they used when they fixed my A1 was the Gummi Pfledge but in a silver "Audi" OEM packaging. The dealer said save £6 on buy it on Ebay,

Was much easier to do it myself than keep going in to the dealer. Their diagnosis from memory was something to do with keeping the car outside with the sun shining on it for long periods. The seals would dry out?

Interesting theory. I keep my car outside and it's been v hot lately and I've started getting the dreaded window rattle! Only from driver's door and the noise goes away if I wind the window down. Would that make sense? I have no knowledge of the windows mechanism so is it logical for it to rattle when up and stop when down.
So I'll go get the seals lubricated when I can find the time and see if that does the trick.
Seems like this is common enough for it to be called a design flaw.

I actually thought it was the door seals on mine.

If it's the windows where do I need to apply the conditioner?

Like I said, I had this on my previous S3 and every three or four months had to go back to the dealer. I only live 3 miles away from them, so it's never a big deal to swing by on my way back from work. Can't believe I got the same problem on this S3 as well. The rattling is when the window is shut; it's could also be described as creaking I suppose. Either way, it's the glass nocking around in the seal.

I can only say that since I took the car in and they gave it the lube treatment, it has been fine come rain or shine. I recall test driving an RS3 a couple of years ago on a wet day and the windows rattled in that too. As soon as you mention it to one their technicians they know exactly what the problem is... yeah, exactly!

Like I said, I had this on my previous S3 and every three or four months had to go back to the dealer. I only live 3 miles away from them, so it's never a big deal to swing by on my way back from work. Can't believe I got the same problem on this S3 as well. The rattling is when the window is shut; it's could also be described as creaking I suppose. Either way, it's the glass nocking around in the seal.

I can only say that since I took the car in and they gave it the lube treatment, it has been fine come rain or shine. I recall test driving an RS3 a couple of years ago on a wet day and the windows rattled in that too. As soon as you mention it to one their technicians they know exactly what the problem is... yeah, exactly!

Is it a quick, while-you-wait job? I do press my hand firmly against the window and it feels completely solid and doesn't stop the rattle.

"Creaking" best describes it and suffered with this on two BMW 1 Series and a MINI JCW. They were known for it bad. My A1 did it too.

As most of my cars in the last 6 years have suffered with it I have put it down to my cleaning regime. But again, from talking to the dealership it's caused but living outside and direct sunlight on the seals (which mine does). The stuff I linked is a proper OEM fix and in essences just lubricates the seals.

To apply just wind the window right down and run the applicator on all the seals and rubber that present themselves. Be liberal with it.

It's such good stuff.....can't recommend it enough.

Going back to dealer for the third time hopefully will be sorted this time, will let you know exactly what they do

It only rattles when the window is up and only on the the drivers side....enough to drive you mad !

Just to report back on this problem, as I've now covered 35k in my S3 and it still has rattling/creaking windows - but ONLY when I have not given the door seals a good does of Gummi Pfledge and only when it's raining - if you just apply it once every three or four weeks (takes a minute to do both front doors) then the problem is non existent. Got mine off ebay and you don't need to use much either. Going to the dealer is a waste of time, as all they'll do is use the same product you can buy and use yourself!

Reactions: Pulp84
Just to add - if you make lubricating the door seals part of your car wash routine, you'll effectively eliminate the problem. Get the Gummi off ebay, as the kind fella has posted the link above to. Definitely not worth going to a Dealer about - I speak from experience!

Reactions: Pulp84
I had same problem on my A3 since day one. Here in Italy this problem is very usual due to poor roads everywhere. The noise comes from upper door seal (the one having double lips) especially when the contact between seal and body is not perfect (see below). Yes, sometimes our expensive cars are far to be perfect ...
I tried all kinds of liquid/cream etc, from cheaper to most expensive ones (i.e. Tunap at 30$ ...). Audi Service itself applied some specific liquid which didn't solve the problem. The only solution which works great - I mean that you need just 2-3 treatments per year - is a silicone cream for leather which is cheap enough, is transparent, has a good flavour and doesn't leave unpleasant traces. I'm talking about this one:

http://tinyurl.com/js6fszb

It's really great ! Just apply it with a small brush along the entire seal then remove the surplus, and then apply it again. This way you will get rid of this annoying problem DEFINITIVELY.

But ... you will just kill one of the effects, not the cause (another effect is the extreme wind blow from side window which unfortunely will still remain...). The "original sin" is the misalignment between the door and the body frame. I'm talking about the alignment with respect to the CENTER OF VEHICLE which can weaken the seal grip. In my case, there was a gap of about 2-3 millimetres between the upper and lower side of the door. In practice, the upper door contour stuck out more than the bottom which instead had been assembled slightly inwards (2-3 mm).
These few millimetres can seem negligible at a first glance but they are VERY IMPORTANT. A quick visit to my body repair Service and ... no more rattles, no more wind noises !

My best regards.

David from Rome (Italy)

Reactions: richinsoton
Haha funny enough exactly the same sympthoms on my car.. very annoying rubber rattle on the driver side front door specially on wet/rain conditions not when dry. I discovered when it rains some drops on the seal rubber on the drivers front door. So i believe that could be the cause.

I have now bought the Gummi Pflege from Ebay at £10 and see if that cures the issue..before i report to the dealers (but could be a waist of time reporting it to dealers if they are going to propose the same solution). I hope it works the Gummi Pflege.. My car its been doing the rubber noise since day 1..and when driving specially when it has rained or have been ice its quite anoying for a premium car to hear this noise..

Well, you will probably solve the rattle problem but will not eliminate the cause ... take a look to door alignment and consider that few mllimetres can be fundamental due to the seal typology. Consider also that our cars are designed to have minimum tolerances everywhere and this can be a double-edged sword for noises when alignments are not perfect.
Once doors will have been re-aligned you will get rid of this problem definitively. This job should be really easy for an experienced body repair service (just loosen a couple of bolts and move the door).

Hi
David