Windows Fogging Up

A4 Annoying

Reaction score
I’m hoping someone can help. If not I’ll try going to Audi tomorrow.

The windows in my 67 plate A4 constantly fog up. If it rains it is really bad and I either need to put the max front window vent on or the back window strips. That or open the windows for a while. It’s strange and I’ve never had the issue with my previous BMW cars. It’s not just normal fogging at the edges. All the windows fog up really badly. The rear windows in particular which is strange as I’m often in the car myself.

What settings does everyone use? I have the front on ‘Auto’ set to between 19-21 depending on the weather. All the vents are open and switched to max speed.

Could something be blocked?

Check for wet mats, make sure the CC isn't set to recycle and set to auto...

Mine fogged a lot has to give them a proper clean

I find I have to clean the front screen so much more than any other car iv had before and iv had a serious amount.

For some reason it’s settled down a bit but still needs cleaned every 400 miles or so.

Cheers for the suggestions. I’ve been giving the windows a good clean to no avail. I’ll try check for possible water ingress. Or get Audi to do it actually.

Door seals worth checking. Also seen a few windows not sealed correctly at factory.
Not that you should be having to think about this on your new wagon.

Cheers for the suggestions. I’ve been giving the windows a good clean to no avail. I’ll try check for possible water ingress. Or get Audi to do it actually.
What model do you have? Avant or saloon what engine?

Try vaseline around all the rubber seals...not kinky but will help stopping cold air getting into the car.

Personally I'd go back to Audi though and let them deal with it.

One thing that has delayed me changing to a B9 S4 or S5 from my B8.5 S4 is the lack of being able to send air to the windscreen and face at the same time, so it is bound to mist up when the screen temperature is below the dewpoint of the air in the car.

In that case it would happen to us all but I've never had any issue with the windows fogging up...

Try vaseline around all the rubber seals...not kinky but will help stopping cold air getting into the car.

Personally I'd go back to Audi though and let them deal with it.
Using vaseline to keep rubber seals in good condition is not good advice. Vaseline will cause deteriation of the door seals if you keep using it, a much better option is gummi pflege.

I had this initially with mine. It seemed odd given that the weather was warm and sunny for a few days after I took delivery. I keep the a/c on eco auto setting and that keeps it at bay.

That reminds me of a few years ago driving somewhere one summer evening. I must have driven 20 or 30 miles with an annoying amount of condensation building up from the bottom of the screen. No amount of fan speed/direction would clear it, nor having the windows open. In the end, I flicked the wiper and embarrassingly realised it was caused by cold a/c on the inside of the screen and warm summer air on the outside.

Not that that's likely to be the cause for a4annoying....unless you're wearing 3 layers of thermals and have the air on cold!

Yes A/C was good at doing that as it only cools air, where as CC both cools and heats. Some A/C's can blend but they are not as sophisticated as CC is...

I had this on my C7 even with the blowers on

Started using aircon to clear it up until one day I forgot to put aircon on and realised windows cleared up without

Since had no issues.

I remember the days when your hands used to freeze from the cold air from the vents. When CC first came out many thought they weren't working properly because it didn't do the same...

Reactions: Theonenonly
I remember the days when your hands used to freeze from the cold air from the vents. When CC first came out many thought they weren't working properly because it didn't do the same...

You have certainly opened my eyes cuke!

Can’t believe how good CC is!

Reactions: cuke2u
Odd question maybe but do you vape (e-cigarettes)

The vapour you exhale still carries PG and causes a build up on the screen over time which becomes apparent only when the window fogs up and can only be cleaned effectively with a glass cleaner containing IPA.

I still don't get how there can be condensation without moisture ingress irrespective of dew point. It's never happened to me. The last time was a Boxster and it took me 3 months to spot that a roof rubber seal was routed slightly out of its correct position. The dealers had failed to spot it on 4 occasions and were insistent there was no water ingress, which I knew was wrong.

High humidity and never running the AC which dries out the air, combined with the significant moisture you exhale while in the car can add a lot of moisture to the inside of the car even without there being an actual leak.

Yes but the OP has the AC on auto, hence my assumption there is water ingress.

Ah, but does the OP have the AC on auto? The system can be set to auto by pushing the temperature adjustment button without the AC selected on.

5B9BAD70 44C5 4F23 A6BD 50A68AFD3E2B
Yes he has the front on Auto which does not automatically turn on the AC. The AC can be off with the system set to Auto

Reactions: Daggerit and Theonenonly