Window washer upgrade

Allyn78

Reaction score
ive just purchased asset of Passat washer jets and the shims to fit them. Could tell me where the shims go?
Thanks

They clip into the long edge of the hole for the washer. I put mine on closest to the windscreen side (rightly or wrongly). Make sure they are clipped/slid on securely. One of mine wasn't and when I pushed the washer jet in it pinged the shim into the bonnet cavity. What a PITA to get that out :-(

Top tip adjust washer height before putting onto the car...easier
Push the shims into the bonnet
So the shims slide into the the bonnet. I have mine furthest away from the windscreen...wrong right
(Phil....hows your aim on your spray? Too high too low?)

Once shim is in just push you jets in

Mine are maybe too low (at maximum adjustment) - was thinking a wrong side shim might be enough to cause that but haven't got around to rejigging...

Well mine is on maximum height as you say..and pushed closer to the windscreen (as bonet is shut)
Mine seems to just pass over the wipers...could do with being a few inches higher

I have said in my post when i first got them..and so has many others...you will agree by the sounds of it, these sprays could do with being higher on the screen!

P.s ...taken the tme to pull out your oem one and check to see if it is heated or non heated
Heated has an extra thing inbuilt to it
I just assumed mine was non heated...turns out they were heated lol

Don't think I'll trauma myself by swapping the shim location then if yours are similar :)

Reactions: CraigRE
Nah no point realy
I take it yours just hits above the wipers too?

I would think further back the higher it would be?...not taking the force of gravity into consideration here due to how close the nozzle is to the screen and the preasure it comes out at.

So purely baising this theory on..
The closer the nozzle is to the edge of the bonnet = the closer and more chance it has to hit the wiper blades.
Same principle as...you have a bigger field of view the further you are away from something.
(The old trick with the 2p and the sun???)

Ive had my weaterbix this morning so i have my science head on lmao
...so if anything i may need to adjust mine ahaha
I SHALL ADJUST ONE AND TAKE MEASUREMENTS BEFORE AND AFTER!

Reactions: Dani_B19
I wrestled with the logic for a good 2 minutes :)

At the time I was too annoyed by:
1. the shim disappearing into the bonnet hole
2. the water tube connector snapping off the old washer jet when removing, causing stress with having to quickly order one from the local VW parts dept and then struggling with boiling water on the hose to try and give some ability to insert the new plastic connector into the far too rigid rubber.

Overall: stress vs. new spray pattern = probably not worth the grey hairs

Reactions: CarbonMike
Look at the thread I've started. I'm going to give the Chinese washer jets a go.

Just fitted my passet washer jets and shims. I found that your better off putting the shims to the back of the hole furist from the windscreen as this makes the jet aim higher

Reactions: phil_w and CraigRE
******! I'll have to try mine the other way round then as my wiper arms currently get most of the spray :-(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Swapped the shims round and yes, I think they now spray a little higher :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: CraigRE