Window Tints

The tinted glass is very different from the tinted film. The main difference is that the film cannot adhere well enough around printed articles on the glass - this affects ALL film. The 4 main considerations are:

* That means you will have an air gap where the dot matrix is - you can see this as a white mark around the rear window and the small rear windows.

* When looking in your rear view mirror, you will also have much larger light diffraction from the film where it is bending around the heating elements on the rear window - the effect you will see is blurred headlights in the vertical plane.

* You will also see the heating elements (which are orange in colour) from the outisde and the darker you go (or the darker the inside of the vehicle - the more noticeable this is.

* The film takes more care to clean and scratches more easily than the glass. Becomes more of an issue on sportback / coupe models where there is no window frame.

At factory, the glass is tinted, so you don't have these issues. It's worth the £300 over the film, especially as a good tinting company will remove all the trim and tint the whole glass so you cannot see the edges of it.

I had tinted windows on my A5 sportback, and learned through this.

If you don't have a choice but film, then the company which applies it is what is important. M25 Audi, Land Rover and Bentley use a company just outside London to do theirs - you cn call them and they will give you details. There are so many dodgy companies. The factory tinted glass is cheaper than a well done film tint.

I had many concerns about after market tints, scratching, actual UV protection, bubbles, glue marks and so on...... all of which I fed back to Audi when I found out the A4 I ordered couldn't have them factory fitted. The company mine has gone to (today) is someone Audi use for all of their vehicles in the area, so I highlighted my points above to both Audi and called the company directly.

Audi tinted glass is only available on the avant models, also they do not offer the UV value of after market products, basically Audi advised its just coloured glass with some protection. The company advised that no bubbles will be visible, it will offer UV protection and glare reduction, and they also use a tint made by Suntek who are apparently the market leader in window tints? The tint will not fade over time - so if for example, a couple of years down the line a window was smashed & replaced, they would only need to tint that window and the colour would match as if all were put on together at the same time, whereas some other tints fade in sunlight over time. It comes with a lifetime warranty so if I get scratches or problems it will be replaced..... apparently :icon_thumright:

In all fairness, Audi are covering the £250 cost and its all being done through Audi prior to my collection, so I hope that gives me a fair amount of protection/guarantee. Most people here that have had it done do not appear to have had any problems. I appreciate the comments and they make perfect sense, if it was an extra available on the saloon I would have happily paid! I just hope (and it does appear) if they are professionally being done using a quality product then fingers crossed there will never be a cause for complaint :happy:

Yes, the garage recommendation will be best.

In terms of film, there is no danger it won't be good film, the issue is having film at all. As I mentioned, if you can live with the dot matrix white line around your rear screen and the rear view mirror light refraction, then I'm sure you won't notice.

I had mine removed as I couldn't. It drew too much of my eye.

To be honest I've never heard of the Dot Matrix or light refraction, just done some Google research and see what you mean......

I don't really have a choice as I want the tints not only for looks, but for my little one sitting in the back, and as its not a factory option I'm kind of stuck on that front. Be interesting to see if I notice to be honest, problem is I'll now be looking for it thanks to you lol :applaus:

Anyone else here noticed much on theirs? Purely out of interest.

I would t worry. You don't have a choice. If you need tinted windows then this is your only choice. I agree, tinted windows help hide valuables left on back seats and keep the heat out which is the worst thing for leather seats too.

I was only playing around, but still its very true I don't have the choice anyway :happy:
Not sure about keeping the heat out, I even opted for heated rear seats - just I what I need heading into summer!! lol!

The dot matrix edge cannot be seen from the inside and i have no light reflection From the rear view mirror at all infact the tinting guy told me there tint also had an anti reflective coating to reduce glare and reflections inside the car ...... if you look for the dots on the very edge of the rear window from the outside then yes you will see them this is one of the things that worried me but I just don't notice them :)

Last edited:
Ours was tinted prior to pick up and yes it isn't as good as factory tinted glass but my thoughts were if it is done whilst with audi then any probs and there is some come back.

At the end of the day a few dots don't detract from the overall effect which is what we were after.

* That means you will have an air gap where the dot matrix is - you can see this as a white mark around the rear window and the small rear windows.

* When looking in your rear view mirror, you will also have much larger light diffraction from the film where it is bending around the heating elements on the rear window - the effect you will see is blurred headlights in the vertical plane.

At the shop they told me to come by after 2 or 3 weeks to remove the white marks on the rear window.
I also have the light diffraction close to the heating elements (I hope they will fix that too)

I will bet my own car they won't remove the air gap on dot matrix. A good installer will tell you the truth. The film cannot bend enough to stick to the glass between the dot matrix lumps. It's just not possible.

The light diffraction is physics. The film is bending around the heating element so it bends the light.

Sorry fella, but that's what happens no matter who installs it.

Oh. And the dot matrix is actually ceramic I believe making it even harder for the film to stick to it.

The radio reception thing is old... it was when the aerial was printed on the glass and metal film was used and caused problems.

The aerial is now in the fin and the film is not the same.

Ours doesn't have a fin has tints and the radio including DAB (which I love) works a treat :)

Ours doesn't have a fin has tints and the radio including DAB (which I love) works a treat :)

Easy fix that is, if you have a spare £30k-£40k you can buy yourself a fin, the car comes with it for free! :p

Reactions: on_the_virge