Window Tints

firecracker69

Reaction score
Hi all,

Sorry if this has been previously covered, but I am in a situation of whether to cancel my order or not?

I have ordered a brand new A4 Saloon TDI, S-Line Black Edition, Quattro 177 S-Tronic with a load of extra goodies..... when it came to colour I was really unsure as I was under the impression the black edition comes with tinted windows! So my dilemma was do I get the Scuba Blue or Glacier White? The blue I was worried would look too dark overall with dark wheels and tinted windows, even in the showroom we discussed this and Glacier White was chosen.

After introducing myself to this forum it was pointed out to me by another member tints are no longer on the A4 saloons? I really don't understand why Audi have suddenly removed this? Last night was my 14 days cool off period so I served notice of cancellation.

Audi have come back this morning stating they thought I was talking about the window trim!? Needless to say they are advising aftermarket tints at a cost of £300.

So couple questions please:
Anyone any idea why the tints have gone and when this happened?
Also, any idea what UV protection the Audi glass gave compared to aftermarket tints?

I know this is all personal preference, personally I love the tinted windows, its a feature I wanted as I have young children and this was very helpful in my last Audi. I'm wondering whether to go ahead with the cancellation or not, but I'm not sure how aftermarkets compare in terms of actual practical use (ie. UV filteration).

Help appreciated!

Audi are cost cutting as you can see many things they've taken away such as:

Tints
Grill Badge
Glove box lights, interior lights
...and lots of other stuff

£300 is quite a lot, I had mine done for £150.

You can always ask them to do it for free or walk away, but for £150 it shouldn't be such a big deal.

I can't tell you when they stopped doing it for sure, but I think that it was when they started doing the facelifts on the B8 models...

I find it amazing that the A4 saloon is literally the only model that has no option for tinted windows at all. My A3 BE had them as standard and I just assumed (wrongly!!) that they would be standard on an A4 BE. So I feel your pain.

I got mine tinted aftermarket for about £150 if I remember right and apart from the heating elements being more obvious in the rear window you can't really tell they weren't standard.

I'm sure Audi still put factory tinted glass in the new cars (someone will correct me if not)

I always have my rears tinted, using a high quailty uv film, never had an issue, here's a link to the guy I use

home - EssexTints-21702

And here's the link to the film he uses

SunTek Automotive Window Film and Window Tint: Professionally Installed Automotive Window Film, CXP Window Tint, Carbon Window Tint, InfinityOP Window Tint, HP Window Tint, High Performance Window Film, Standard Window Film, New Leader in Automotive

Here's mine with a dark smoke tint

Have a wee read pal, will give you an idea what's out there, films have moved on greatly

Mac

Reactions: ScottishA4B9, V6 Quatt and Cyprio
Thanks for the replies..... the dealer has just called me to discuss options following their email. They have confirmed that they cannot be added by the factory so my only option is aftermarket or cancel completely.
For some reason the A4 appears to be the only model its not included by way of a pack or an optional extra?

I agree with you Liquidfusion - seems to be Audi cost cutting which is a shame, like you said with the lighting, I had to pay extra to get the light pack, I mean what modern car comes without a glovebox light or footwell lighting nowadays? Apart from Audi! :happy:

Thanks for the pics, looks nice - thats all I'm after something like what you have. The question now is will Audi meet me half way on cost? I've just been advised they are getting the car irrespective as too late to cancel, plus will all the extras I have added it may not appeal to a lot of the general public? So maybe I can haggle?

Thanks for the links..... Page 2 I kind of got the idea!! :thumbsup:

Macdoon - just out of interest, how well was yours done? Could you tell it was aftermarket?
My concern is potential bubbles and it just not looking quite right.......

I took mine back after 7 days so they could be checked and there were a few tiny bubbles which were flattened out, and now perfect

My car is booked in for tinting in the next few weeks .... I have been looking out for cars that have had tinting done and ( like a mad man ) spoken to a few people in car parks and had a good look at there tinting and I have not seen one that had any bubbles still in the tint after the drying period...

Liquidfusion do you still have bubbles in your tints ??

The ones which I showed before were water bubbles which have completely disappeared, but the rear window has a bubble which looks like a air bubble than a water bubble, not too happy about that but I guess I can live with it.

You see, that's exactly what I want to avoid - "not too happy, but can live with it". This is what i'm arguing with the dealer about, they can tell me all day long about how good the company is but it wont be Audi trying to put it right if it doesn't go quite to plan.

On the whole, most people seem happy, but I still have reservations.

Well mine is getting done one week today and they have already told me there shouldn't be any issues once the tint is installed there will be small amounts of water behind the tint and not to use the rear windows for 5 days as this is the drying period but if there are any bubbles left then bring it back and they will sort it out ...

Reactions: Liquidfusion-S3 and Macdoon
Sounds like you have found a good company to carry yours out, plus they will correct it if any bubbles were left - cant go wrong really?

I just spoke to a local company recommended by Audi - they use them quite a bit by the sounds of things. The company have given a fair amount of reassurance so it actually sounds like it can be done properly at a cost of £250. Might see if Audi want to share the cost, although as its an overall misunderstanding I'm not sure I'll get far!

I have to wait for delivery of my car yet, approx another 6-8 weeks still to go.... so if you could let us know how you get on that would be great.

I can accept £250 to be honest if a lifetime warranty on it, I think just the reassurance I can take it back if a problem is worth the money for me personally, but then I am very very fussy!!

Oh we are ALL very fussy :) ... I will post photos of before and after and if they let me ill take some during the fitting ...

Photos would be nice indeed! You should drive South, we have sunshine :p

I've just had a result anyway, Audi have just agreed to cover the cost so I withdrew my cancellation and its all go again! :w00t:

I'm sure Audi still put factory tinted glass in the new cars (someone will correct me if not)

I always have my rears tinted, using a high quailty uv film, never had an issue, here's a link to the guy I use

home - EssexTints-21702

And here's the link to the film he uses

SunTek Automotive Window Film and Window Tint: Professionally Installed Automotive Window Film, CXP Window Tint, Carbon Window Tint, InfinityOP Window Tint, HP Window Tint, High Performance Window Film, Standard Window Film, New Leader in Automotive

Here's mine with a dark smoke tint

Have a wee read pal, will give you an idea what's out there, films have moved on greatly

Mac

You're right, Mac, the facelifts do come from the factory with a very-very slight tint, my s4 has it. It's really only noticable when the car is sitting in front of a white background. How much did you pay for your tinted windows? I may shoot down there for a quote; also thinking about asking them if they can wrap the rear diffuser - thinking of Satin Black or Carbon. Nice wheels by the way!:)

I've had my civic, a3 and a4 done by the same company in Bristol. Can't say anything bad about the company paid 140 for my rears 80% tint. Lifetime warranty for as long as I have the car. Had bubbles in my a3 but they sorted that out no cost.

You're right, Mac, the facelifts do come from the factory with a very-very slight tint, my s4 has it. It's really only noticable when the car is sitting in front of a white background. How much did you pay for your tinted windows? I may shoot down there for a quote; also thinking about asking them if they can wrap the rear diffuser - thinking of Satin Black or Carbon. Nice wheels by the way!:)

Pm'd

85% tints done by Cameleon in Milton Keynes.

Attachments

• DSC00163.jpg
    DSC00163.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 415
  • DSC00162.jpg
    DSC00162.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 431
  • DSC00161.jpg
    DSC00161.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 346
You bad people! Looking at the pictures has got me pondering getting mine done now! Just been quoted £125 + vat for the everything back from the B pillar, meaning back doors, little quater windows and rear... Now to convince her indoors!

You bad people! Looking at the pictures has got me pondering getting mine done now! Just been quoted £125 + vat for the everything back from the B pillar, meaning back doors, little quater windows and rear... Now to convince her indoors!

Excellent price fella

In situations like this I usually do something for the Mrs, get her something she wants or just agree on an old argument and get them in a good mood............. then POW........... slap them with everything you want and watch them agree! :laugh:

So I had my tints done today and here they are :-

Before :-

After :-

Side View :-

Surprisingly they look a lot darker in the photo than they are in the flesh so to speak ...

The tint shade is medium.

Reactions: RS5 JON and Liquidfusion-S3
Very nice Anthony, looks the part!:)

Loving this, I actually like how dark they look in the picture! What tint did you have done?

I popped into Audi Saturday to re-sign some paperwork due to an increase in road tax so they have had to re-do all the docs, apparently they have to do this with every single customer who has not yet taken delivery lol! To my surprise as I arrived my car came off the transporter! (looking scruffy I must admit). So today/tomorrow my windows get done (Suntek 18 Carbon) and collection Wednesday! Just looking at yours shows me how mine will look - exciting times!

My tint was a medium and it does look nice ... no marks at all in it they did a very nice job.

The other thing I have done is converted all the interior bulbs to led's and added a glove box light and door puddle lighting as I stupidly didn't ask for the lighting pack :-( and the led's are a nice crisp white light.

I was surprised when building mine that this was an extra!!! Makes me laugh, this stuff should be standard spec in my opinion. The new A4 coming out next year apparently has this as standard although the slight price increase means you pay for it anyway :shrug:

I am glad they have added this as std as the cost is not that much at all as an option but its just annoying that I missed it as my 54 plate A4 has it and my 13 one doesn't AAAAHHHH ... rant over :)

Its still a £150 extra for some lights though!! Which on almost every other car is standard lol... ah well, looks like you have it all now anyway, give it another year and you'll be looking at the new one! :drool: