1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dismiss Notice

Window tints problem

CarbonMike Jun 28, 2018

1. CarbonMike

CarbonMike Registered User

Right so, took car in today (2014 A4 Black Ed) to have rear windows tinted to a place thats has been doing it for years...

Turns out they cant do them because the rear screen is wrong type of glass with slightly raised demister strips that cause loads of bubbling??

Apparently a common thing on particular VAG models that dont have a factory tint as standard??

Anyone ever heard of this?

I have a black car with a black interior on the hottest days of the year & was looking for some quick respite to lower the cabin temps when parked up lol

2. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

3. CarbonMike

After a few phone calls.... turns out the main issue is the integral brake light & antennae set up in the rear screen!

Got National Windscreens on the case seeing if they can supply & fit an entire factory privacy rear glass set as a "cash buyer" waiting for call back with a price.

Autoglass werent interested but did quote £333 for a clear rear screen compared to Nationals £180.

4. ruairi83

ruairi83 Registered User

Balls. I’ve had my old December 2013 a4 black edition done and my current 2015 a4 black edition plus saloon done.

Get a different windows tinter

Meemo likes this.
  5. CarbonMike

Do they look any good or can you see all the demister strips an aerial line etc.

According to my local main dealer its a mare to do an looks rubbish once done also.

Did both thosr cars have a rear screen mounted aerial or roof mount?

6. NHN

NHN Retrofitter - Audi - VW - Skoda - Seat Site Sponsor VCDS Map User

I've not heard that before tbh.

If anywhere near chertsey, give eva@oldschoolwindscreens a shout, always used them & brilliant work.

7. CarbonMike

Im at another tint shop now near Southampton and theyve got an S4 with the rear screen tinted nicely & there fine with doing the job while i wait

I guess the first guy was just a n00b

8. Meemo

Meemo Registered User

had my b8 rear tinted and looked fine, talking rubbish.
    They guy who did it said it was not his most favourite car to do rear tints on because the saloon rear windows are so difficult to access from the back seats to tint.. but he is a pro so did a fab job none the less ;) maybe the guy just knew it was an awkward job and would rather not do it.
    I used monsterwraps southampton, they have a shop in hedge end, also did my golf and numerous other little jobs.

Best pictures i could find that show the tints on the rear as sold the car off in Jan.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

DieselJake likes this.
  9. NevMan

NevMan Well known member

Was about to reply that I had A6 done without issue, but see you are getting sorted :icon thumright:

10. CarbonMike

Monsterwraps came thru top dog. Did it while I waited. 20% light through on rears, 70% on fronts.

Cant upload a pic as file size to big but certainly looks the bees.

Meemo and NevMan like this.
  11. Rich76

Rich76 Registered User

Had mine done last year no problems at all

12. Avatar

snack-media
    Advertisement

13. Sandra

Sandra Administrator Staff Member Administrator Platinum Supporter Audi Main Dealer

14. R0cket

R0cket Active Member VCDS Map User

My S3 was tinted when I bought it, but they must have been limo tints as I could barely see cars behind me haha. I removed them so only have the factory tint which is perfect for me. Doesn't look after different on the outside, but inside it's a lot brighter and you can see out!