Window Tinting

MarcQuinlivan

Reaction score
Website
audiretrofit.quinlivan.net
I've always been a bit unsure about tinted windows as I thought it would make the car look a bit boy-racery. That was until a couple of weeks ago. I sold my previous (04) A3 to a friend and he got the windows tinted a couple of weeks ago. I must say I was rather impressed with it. The old car was dolphin grey and he got a light tinting on the windows.

The question I have is, how does tinting look on a Misano Red car and how dark should I go.

Audi Ireland didn't list tinted glass as an option when I was speccing the new car up, but it turns out it was available if you asked for it.

Anybody in Ireland or NI got aftermarket tinting done, and if so, who did it, how much did it cost and how did it turn out?

I'm still unsure of whether to do it or not.

hey marc

i had tints in my old clio - they were done by a company called JJ Tints outside Londonderry, a bit far for you i think

the best in the business are Pentagon Tints in Lisburn but they charge accordingly - £350 ish or there abouts

there is also Bad Boy tints in Newry i think

i would never pay pentagons prices - they are very professional and use top machinery but i got my tints done as a group buy with JJ for £80 haha and they were perfect!!!

however, looking back, i am now of the opinion that tints are a dying breed like the lexus light. im not fond of them anymore and to be honest i think a car looks much better without them

also any aftermarket tint from the b-pillar forward is illegal

you will already have a factory tint inside the side windows of 17% or so which is the legal limit

My mate got his done for €140 or about 80-ish pounds in old money. It looks good but I'm not sure if I want to go with it because of how it is done - i.e. a film placed inside the window.

not sure what the law is down here as regards after market and forward of b-pillar, but he's a policeman so i'm sure his is legal.

I might leave it, and wait till I change for the new model A3 in 2009\10 to get it factory fitted.

thats what after market tints are - film on the inside of the window!

on another note - spotted my first S3 today in belfast just outside my work

it was in that bright blue colour - took me by surprise at first before realising what it was!! looked stunning!

I wanted factory fitted privacy glass and went through a right palava to find out if I could have it, and though it wan't listed it was available.

Lo and behold, on the day I ordered my car it appeared on the configurator at the dealer for the first time, so I have had it. Will be interesting to see what it looks like, as on the A4's and 6's I have seen it on it has been about right in darkness, but ofcourse they were estates with more glass.

My windows are tinted, i believe they were done at the dealers when the first owner bought it, everyone who has seen the car has commented on how well they look along with the silver mirrors.

Are yours gradual, rear to front, ie the windows front of the b pillar are tinted as well but not as much as the b-pillar backwards?