Window Tinting and UK Law

matt13988

Reaction score
I have been looking at getting my windows tinted and couldn't decide on what % to get on the front windows, so I have been doing some research on here and other websites to find out the current laws on window tinting. Obviously I don't want to be too much outside the law and have to have them removed the day paying to have them put on, that would just be a waste.

From searching on here I seem'd to find that everyone was under the impression that having your front windows tinted at all is illegal in the UK. When I went to find out some information for myself rather then rely on peoples hear says on threads on here, I first came across this link from the DFT Vosa Oct 2008. However I thought that it might be out of date being published in 2008 and reading the more current up-to-date threads on here.

I decided that I wanted to dig a little deeper and see what I could found, so I went onto the direct gov website and found the authoritative source:Tinted Vehicle Windows - The Rules.

The windows that matter
The law requires that the windows on the vehicle allow at least:
75 per cent of light through the front windscreen
70 per cent of light through the front side windows
In most modern vehicles there is a slight tint added to the windows when they are made. If you add any more tint it’s likely to result in the windows failing to meet the legal requirements.
The rules on tinted windows don’t apply to the rear windscreen or the rear passenger windows.

I am confused why other people here think that it is illegal to have any front window tints, any clarification?

Last edited:
hiya mate,
my friend does tinting for a living, and his motto nowadays is simply not to put anything at all on the front windows! 25% leeway you have is pretty much negated by the standards tints most vags/audis have so... id suggest just not to bother! :)

I am confused why other people here think that it is illegal to have any front window tints, any clarification?

Most modern cars have a factory window tint, usually green or blue, and that in effect gives makes the glass not 100% clear, despite that you can clearly see through it. If you want to stay legal, then don't tint your front passenger and driver side windows.
And just to clarify for you, I had the lightest tint possible that wasn't clear on the front windows on my Passat Estate, and have been driving around with them on for approx. 10 years. But just before Xmas, I was pulled over for them, then used a light meter on my tints which only let 46% light through, when it needed to be 70%+! I had to take them off on the road side or have my car declared not fit for road use!!

matt13988, have you looked up the gradient of tints you can buy and looked in to how much light they allow through?

Maybe might be a good way to check for yourself and make your own judgment. I know what you mean, I would my windows tinted (apart from ront screen) as my car is black I think they would look good with my other plans, but I am very dubious as I wouldn't want to spend all that money and then have to rip off the front tints :banghead:

Or maybe even looking to see if you can buy the front windows with ni tint what-so-ever so you could for a light smoke style tint and not worry about it :racer:

To put it simply.

Tint your fronts and they are illegal so the risk is upto you.

Don't tint them. And they are legal.

No need for us to go too deep into things as we all know well we should know by now that tinting the fronts at all is risking it.

Oh and if your going to tint your window less than 50% then I wouldn't bother wasting the cash. Might as well drive with the windows down. With shades on of course.

• Motor Vehicles first used on or after 1 April 1985
  • The light transmitted through the windscreen must be at least 75%
  • The front side windows (to either side of the drivers’ head) must allow at least 70% of light to be transmitted through them.If the glass is tinted to a point whereby it lets through less light, the vehicle is breaking UK Window tinting laws.
more information here WINDOW TINTING LAWS and full pdf info from Vehicle & Operator Services Agency - Tinted Windows Your questions answered PDF

best people to have a word with is your local Traffuc Police at your local station and they will keep you right cause if you happen to get pulled and your windows don't let the right about off light in, you will now get points straight away a minium off 3 and the less light you let in the more points you will get and i would guess now a on the spot fine and car will be taken into police custody and again a cost to get tint removed and car out of custody .
Plus before i forget your insurance will be void and if you dont believe me take this up with your insurance company telling them that yout tint doesn't let in the accquired light or again check with the T PC .
you can doing anything you want with the back side windows and back main window change into Mad Max style and you will be fine . hope this helps and only reason i k ow this is due to me being stopped and the nice gentlemen informing me as i could prove i was sold car by a dealer .

Reactions: piotrekmgs
Really wanted to get my tints redone with fronts near the limit but this thread is making me think twice :frown: