Window Tint glue removal?

jojo

Looking for Boost!
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.audi-sport.net
Just got pulled over by the local plod for my window tints, and I had to remove them on the spot or have my car taken off the road.:busted_cop: So removed the tint which had been on the car for almost 10 years which has left a sticky residue on the glass, and now the windows are very difficult to open.

Anything you guys can recommend to remove it? I've tried Mr Muscle window cleaner with no effect and Turtlewax bug/tar remover, but it's hard work using this stuff, I got a small patch off after a few minutes of scrubbing.

Tardis should be rinsed clear on paint work so for inside glass I'd be inclined to put some on a towel and dab at the glue to dissolve it. Should be fine, just take your time with it and remember that it's a strong solvent.

Tardis should be rinsed clear on paint work so for inside glass I'd be inclined to put some on a towel and dab at the glue to dissolve it. Should be fine, just take your time with it and remember that it's a strong solvent.

Cheers, just need to order some later on in the day.

I would be more tempted to go with Auto Glym Tar and Glue Remover, John (and this is more of a question, than a statement!)?

I am Tardis' number one fan for external use, but internally, where you have leather, suede and plastics on show, I would be more inclined to use a less agressive chemical? I know it won't be as effective, but I would worry about suggesting Tardis and for the user to (God forbid) have an issue with drips/spills (no offense Joe!!).

Thoughts John?

I would be more tempted to go with Auto Glym Tar and Glue Remover

This stuff?

Autoglym - car cleaning products, car care products, car valeting, car detailing

Looking at the vid, it's very liquidy, like spirits or similar right?

Main thing is not to stink the car up with fumes to be honest, as it's the family runabout, and my little one travels in it. I haven't ordered the Tardis yet, but might give my creamy tar/bug remover another go. I think I was a bit to eager to get it off, maybe leave it on for a few minutes to see if it dissolves/softens up the adhesive that's on the glass. going to need to take the damn door card off to get to the bottom bit too, seriously annoying!

Was about to say remove the door cards mate to make your job easier.

Unfortunately Joe, they both don't smell so good, but this is short lived and can be rectified if it hangs around any longer than desired.

That's the product I was on about, can be picked up from Halfords for ease as well.

One thing to point out with Tardis, for safety reasons it needs to be correctly posted in it's metal sealed container. Yes you'll use it for tar removal and is a useful product, but if it's a quick fix the metal can is rather large and contains 5l!

Autosmart Tardis | Autosmart Car Care & Detailing Products

Don't get me wrong, it is a cracking product. Really really easy and effective. But in my mind you buy for the application and 5l just sounds silly for this small use!

just use a rag soaked in petrol, you don't need anything special.

As above with John, I've removed various glue residues on internal windows with Tardis no problem. I'd always apply to the cloth though as opposed to spraying straight onto the glass for fear of overspray.

You could also try a slight bit of heat?! (hairdryer/heatgun)

just use a rag soaked in petrol, you don't need anything special.

Have you seen how much petrol is these days? lol

No seriously, I don't have any to hand

As above with John, I've removed various glue residues on internal windows with Tardis no problem. I'd always apply to the cloth though as opposed to spraying straight onto the glass for fear of overspray.

You could also try a slight bit of heat?! (hairdryer/heatgun)

The cold weather isn't helping is it?

Joey, solution for your woes would be

BC42DF3E-0EA5-1822-3E155F8B4F480BC2.jpg

I heard you were kinky & liked your gel.

I'd go with this technique - use as little product as possible, dab it and let the solvent flash off (obviously with the doors open). The smell of Tardis doesn't really linger as it's quite volatile - just, as mentioned, try to avoid spillages!

Reactions: redspudder