window switches, help.

Nathen

Reaction score
having some issues with my a3's electric window switches on the drivers side, the passenger and both rear switches all work as they should but if I try and open any of the windows with the drivers switches either they don't open at all or the auto 1 touch function dosnt work, or they could work as they should, just wondering if this is a common fault or if any one else's windows do this?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Most common problem is the loom that passes between the door and A post. The wiring inside the gaiter can break after many years of opening and closing the door. Prise off the gaiter grommet and inspect the wires inside, they be broken or just the copper strands can break inside the insulation. Any broken ones can be repaired or a new loom fitted.

Most common problem is the loom that passes between the door and A post. The wiring inside the gaiter can break after many years of opening and closing the door. Prise off the gaiter grommet and inspect the wires inside, they be broken or just the copper strands can break inside the insulation. Any broken ones can be repaired or a new loom fitted.
OK thank you will have a look at the weekend.

If you remove the door card, you can unclip the loom from inside the door to give you more slack to work with. You'll be working blind in there but you'll be able to feel the plastic clips and unhook the loom.
As you have a car over 10 years old this is the most likely problem.

The window switch unit may also be on it's way out as it gets used more than the switches on other doors. If your clever with a AVO meter you can test them while the door card is off.

If you remove the door card, you can unclip the loom from inside the door to give you more slack to work with. You'll be working blind in there but you'll be able to feel the plastic clips and unhook the loom.
As you have a car over 10 years old this is the most likely problem.

The window switch unit may also be on it's way out as it gets used more than the switches on other doors. If your clever with a AVO meter you can test them while the door card is off.
OK will have a look at the weekend as I'm going to be working on my car at the weekend anyway so will get that done after I've done everything else, I deal with vehicle electrical connectors and looms all day at work so know how horrible they can be, like i say I'll have a look, thanks for the advice it's much appreciated.

That's a good website, might do a few simple upgrades jobs myself.

Reactions: Nathen