Window stuck please help ! S3

slinford

Reaction score
wound down the passenger window and now it won't go back up. If you pull the glass up by hand it gets pulled staright down by the motor when you let go of the button. i.e push the button to put window up then pull glass up, Window will go up a couple of inches but when you release the window button from up position it goes straight back down. I have tried to remove the door card but it feels very well clipped on and I don't want to damage it. Could someone please tell me how to remove the door card and If anyone knows what the issue might be let me know.

I can't really leave the car on the drive with a window down /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif.

Many thanks

Sam

Exactly the same thing happened to me at work with the drivers window. Even by taking off the door card i could'nt fix it.
If i remember correctly i think the cable had broken that moves the window up and down (either the cable had snapped or one of the clips joining the cable to the window had broken, can't quite remember). Ended up taking it to a specilist to get it sorted. Think it cost around £100 to fix. Parts were very inexpensive but most of the cost was labour.

I have that problem. You have to help the window up with your left hand on the outside of the glass and use your right hand on the button (standing outside the car). As soon as the window starts to come down again flick the button - twice I think and it will start to go up again. Keep doing this till it's closed.

Had the same problem on my old A6 and from what I have seen its quite a common fault.

The window motor is connected via wires to the glass by two plastic carriers. They work on a push pull basis. The wires have nipples on them that locate in the plastic carriers. These carriers break which means that the windows is trying to go up slihktly out of alignment. This causes the glass to not tun smoothly, the trapped finger safety feature kicks in and down the windows goes again.

Before I ventured into taking the door card off and seeing what had gone wrong, I too had to hold the windows button up whilst standing araound the door, pushing on the outside of the glass.

The carriers are very cheap at about £3-5 quid each, button I simply drilled a small hole in the existing plastic carrier and used a cable tye to stop the nipple moving away from the carrier. I actually ordered the parts to fix it properly but never bothered to collect then from the stealer as my "Bodge" worked a traet.

Its probably 3/4 hr job per door to do.

Simon

Hi Simon

Thanks for the reply. sounds about righto to me. I've had the door card off and greased the runners. Its a little more free but still to tight for the motor to push it up and down without the trapped fingure mech kicking in. I guess I'm gonna have to try changing the nipples to see if that helps.

Will let you guys know how i get on.

Sam

Sam

its not the nipples. They are crimped onto the cable.

The plastic carriers are normally the fault. These are the means that the cable attaches to the window glass. If I can remember they folder in half, clip around the glass,into an hole and then one bolt straight through.

The nipples simply locate into the carrier. As they work on push/pull the bit on the plastic breaks where the nipple connects, the cable can move before the nipple jams and the window starts to move atan angle. This is why the windows jams.

All you need is the plastic carrier. Dont know the part number as I have an A6.

When I spoke to the dealers parts department, he had never heard of this problem and couldnt find the part number. We looked at the exploded view of the window assembly and I pointed to the part. Audi call the part "Window Carrier"

Its a very simple job and if anyone in the Stoke area needs the parts for an A6 with the same problem, they are still waiting at Stoke Audi, fully paid for. Only been there for about 1 year

Simon

Hi Simon meant carriers :). Thanks for the article.

Peeeeerfect.

ive had this problem on my TT, under warranty they replaced two motors, now it rattles all the time if the window is completly down, Audi dealer said that it was down to cost cutting on Audi part, they used to use metal clips now they use plastic ones, ( see the pics above in link ) SORT it out AUDI

Does the whole frame assembly come out of the S3 door like the A6 in the linked article? I've had my door card off (quite some time ago) and couldn't figure out how to get to the carriers without major work, so I just put up with it. But if the whole assembly comes out that's another story.
Edit: I found a piece of broken blue plastic in the bottom of my door. I assume this is the culprit.

The broken plastic is almost definately part of the broken window carrier.

Never stripped an A3 door so cant tell you, but with the A6 after you remove the door card the window framework assembly lifts, out after removing the 4 screws, leaving just the door skin.

Its the only way to get at the carriers.

Im sure someone with an A3 must have done this one before or can point you in the right direction.

Simon

I also have found the small blue piece of plastic in the bottom of my door.

I have spoken to a few different people and garages and they all say the same thing. You can't get the blue carriers individually. You have to buy the whole regulator kit which costs about £70!!!

It's also a bit of a pain to do, but not impossible. I'm yet to get around to taking the door completely apart, but will at some point and I also shall be putting my own engineering skills to solving the problem (ty-wrap probably)!

Hi

I managed to get the parts individually for my A6. My dealer said the same but when looking on their computer with them they do have a seperate part number and are identified "window carrier".

saying that a small drill and a couple of small cable ties does the job just as well.

Its just a case of stopping the carrier moving seperate to the cable in both directions. Funnily it always seems to be that they break in one direction only.

Simon

So I went to Audi on the weekend to try and get the carriers but no joy. As a couple of people have said, Audi said there is no way they can get the plastic carriers on there own and the entire unit costs nearly £80. Its extremely annoying. I'm not sure where to go from here. I guess more investigation inside the door is required :-(. Any other advice ?

Sam

scrapyard? why not get an entire regulator from a donor, and then strip the carriers? 8L A3's must be pretty common in a scrappy by now.

Yea I suppose that is the next thing to look @. God I hate scrapyards I was hoping to get away from the places after my early banger car years !. Its not actually my car its my girlfriends S3. I will get her to the scrapyard with some spanners. I drive an Evo it does sound like its falling apart all the time but nothing brakes lol Touch wood !!!!!!!

Send her to the scrappy with some spanners!!!

haha cheek!!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked2.gif

Doh, I'm in trouble now !. Its either the scrappy or £80 ;-)~