Window regulator. Never again.

Dani_B19

Audi-sports own special child.
Reaction score
Had to change the drivers side front window regulator today as it had snapped or was as good as.

Bought one off eBay which turned out to be pretty good quality but time will tell.

Anyway what an **** of a job to do. Was problem after problem, bolts stuck, heads like money metal and rounding, duct tape on the sound deadening that disintegrated when removed as the window blew covering the interior in white reside, sound deadening ripping, not been able to remove the wing mirror cable as the clips were stuck so has to hang it off the door and leave in mid air, then came to refit it after putting the regulator all in only to realise it's impossible so had to remove the regulator again, gauge the door card due to the wind blowing a gust and slamming the door before I could catch it.

To top it off I think the whole unit has dropped slightly as I'm not happy with how the rubber seal meets the roof but tbh I think it's just me imagining it as everything was lined up on the original markings and that.

Anyway horrible job, you either seem to get lucky and manage it in no time or it goes tits up and takes hours like mine did.

well sounds like a pretty crappy day all in all then dani, it is not a difficult job but like most audi "tasks" , even the easy ones can become a real hair pulling event, well, as you have found out....anyway at least you've done it albeit with possible adjustment to be done...
I did both my rear door last year, well not replacing the regulators but changing the window glass but its the same job as the glass has to come out of the regulators aswell so the same job, it did go problem free to be honest , but I think I was just a tad lucky and I did spend a while researching the job...not had any probs since either ...

best plan now would be to go a sit down with a long drink and chill for a bit......

Reactions: Dani_B19
Not a hard job as you say and I did the majority from memory of watching videos, it wasn't helped as said by monkey metal T bolts.

Tbh rob I think the frame is fine, I aligned the bolts up with the original markings, the window goes up and down freely and the door shuts fine. I just junk it's me been funny and picking fault if that makes sense?

I was planning on doing the door loom repair while at it but time disappeared and I had to arrange the shed to accommodate the new alloys so that had to be left for another day.

Ooh don't worry I'm having a few.

Reactions: carlcall
Had to change the drivers side front window regulator today as it had snapped or was as good as.

Bought one off eBay which turned out to be pretty good quality but time will tell.

Anyway what an **** of a job to do. Was problem after problem, bolts stuck, heads like money metal and rounding, duct tape on the sound deadening that disintegrated when removed as the window blew covering the interior in white reside, sound deadening ripping, not been able to remove the wing mirror cable as the clips were stuck so has to hang it off the door and leave in mid air, then came to refit it after putting the regulator all in only to realise it's impossible so had to remove the regulator again, gauge the door card due to the wind blowing a gust and slamming the door before I could catch it.

To top it off I think the whole unit has dropped slightly as I'm not happy with how the rubber seal meets the roof but tbh I think it's just me imagining it as everything was lined up on the original markings and that.

Anyway horrible job, you either seem to get lucky and manage it in no time or it goes tits up and takes hours like mine did.

Sorry to hear about that, sounds like allot of my "five minute easy" car jobs haha.

Reactions: Dani_B19
Nothing worse Jake than them 5 minute jobbies turning into a 5 hour one haha.

I've just done mine, was too bad a job.
Used windowregulatorman.co.uk ,as I have done for other cars as the quantity seems to be good!
Like you say if you're stuck check youtube videos :)

ive just had mine done by the local garage £89 supplied and fitted seems reasonable to me

Good price that pal for the work that can be involved.

Reactions: jaffaxr