Window reg fitment issue

glenandem

Reaction score
are b6 saloon and avant window reg mechanisms the same, I bought a replement off eBay and went to fit it today and the bit the window goes up and down on was shorter than the new one as per pic?

Same door and parts to my knowledge

Reactions: glenandem
I thought that too pal, as you can see from the pic one length is definstely longer than the other, maybe it's just a cheap made part lol

I've sent it back for a refund now and I'll have to order one from elsewhere, got the window held up with a screwdriver lol

Recently replaced mine with this one from eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171493859933?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Didn't compare lengths but I assume it matched the old one. It's been working fine for two months now and at 20 quid with a 2 year warranty, a no-brainer purchase.

It did have to play about with the fitting angle of the to arms to make sure the window sat fully snug in the frame when raised...a bit trial and error. Also, there is adjustment on the frame itself to ensure snug fit against the car body (discovered this after re-fitting the door panel!)

Please don't buy one from the above link, I bought two that both failed. The company are a nightmare to deal with and did not get my £40 back. Save your money and get a genuine one please.

Please don't buy one from the above link, I bought two that both failed. The company are a nightmare to deal with and did not get my £40 back. Save your money and get a genuine one please.

Interesting. What failed on the regulators? Why didn't you get your money back? They make a big point of the warranty so surely eBay wouldn't be too happy with them not honouring their listing.

The top cable pulls through the plastic on the mount and then jams up.Cheep britle plastic used.
They want a letter from a garage to say they failed,so if you fit them yourself your screwed.

Reactions: glenandem
sumo you are spot on, this is why im replacing mine, i bough the same reg a year ago and a few weeks ago it chewed itself up, i contacted them about the 2 year warranty and they wanted a letter from the garage and mechanic, i told them i fitted it myself and although i used to be a mechanic im not anymore, then they wanted proof i was a trained mechanic, i got my wife to try and dig out my old nvq's which i couldnt find and in the end i just left it for the sake of £20, then i ordered the one that wouldnt fit from elsewhere and the quality was absolutely **** so sent it back, ive reordered another from the car spares direct as it lasted a year or so and for £20 im not bothered, the car may be in a scrap yard anytime soon!!!

Just had another look at their listing and it does say that the warranty is only honoured if fitted by a mechanic so my error there for not reading the small print. Not sure how many mechanics use eBay as their parts supplier though!

I plan to have the car 3 years so one regulator a year at £60 total is a lot less than an OE part, I guess!

Buy cheap, buy twice! My original lasted 10 years, my original replacement @ £80 will also last 10 years, eBay specials are made from inferior materials, but if you like to pull your door to pieces every 1 or 2 years that's up to you, I have better things to be getting on with.......

Buy cheap, buy twice! My original lasted 10 years, my original replacement @ £80 will also last 10 years, eBay specials are made from inferior materials, but if you like to pull your door to pieces every 1 or 2 years that's up to you, I have better things to be getting on with.......

I do agree with your sentiment! But in this case, my car is already 11 years old and whether it's on the road with a working window regulator in another 10 years is no concern of mine. It's an hours work, which I enjoy doing, on a non-critical part. If we were talking a full set of front suspension arms, then buying cheap would indeed be asking for trouble in both labour and vehicle safety.

End of the day, you pays your money, you takes your chance