Window malfunction S5 SB

gldy_b

Reaction score
Woke up with his morning and my car window drivers side is not functioning properly. So the door won't close. Any ideas what to do. I've tried outing the window down but that won't work the window won't go down :wtf:

Reactions: Boswell
Any ideas would be appreciated?

Window issues with the new A5 platform are well documented - in particular with the door open/close function which needs to drop/raise the glass by about 10mm.

I believe the fix is a software update by the dealer.

http://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/software-update-bricking-s5-coupe.312768/

I don't think I've seen a forum post containing a workaround. It's a known issue, book a dealer visit.

Can I book this with any dealer or does it have to be with the dealer I bought the car from. The dealer I brought the car is about 50 miles away but my local dealer is 8 miles. - local wouldn't give me the deal

Can I book this with any dealer or does it have to be with the dealer I bought the car from. The dealer I brought the car is about 50 miles away but my local dealer is 8 miles. - local wouldn't give me the deal

You can go to any dealer.

Have you tried and long open and long close with the key fob? That might do it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Common issue with frame-less doors, seems that eager pulling of door and not allowing the glass to preform its initial drop can cause this, as you're essentially pulling the glass out of alignment overtime. Remember the glass will only be sitting on glass clamps attached the Window Reg rails. I'd leave it to Audi to fix, but always allow the glass to perform its drop, even though the A5/S5 have handles that should allow time for this, we can always beat the glass drop.

Common issue with frame-less doors, seems that eager pulling of door and not allowing the glass to preform its initial drop can cause this, as you're essentially pulling the glass out of alignment overtime. Remember the glass will only be sitting on glass clamps attached the Window Reg rails. I'd leave it to Audi to fix, but always allow the glass to perform its drop, even though the A5/S5 have handles that should allow time for this, we can always beat the glass drop.

I don't think it's that common, and Audi have had the frameless doors for years. It's only the recent A5 release that it has become an issue on new models (I've seen some older A4 convertibles malfunction, but that's after a few years usage)

I have **tried** to "beat" the window drop on my S7 - impossible, it's so dam fast... and I've never had a malfunction :racer:

I don't think it's that common, and Audi have had the frameless doors for years. It's only the recent A5 release that it has become an issue on new models (I've seen some older A4 convertibles malfunction, but that's after a few years usage)

I have **tried** to "beat" the window drop on my S7 - impossible, it's so dam fast... and I've never had a malfunction :racer:

I didn't specifically mean just Audi, Any frame less door. Working with Automotive Closures and in the industry, you come to find that it is an issue with them and you have to design for these issues along with the potential errors from Door Slam, Door Sag, type of glass used, it's an endless battle.

Also I had the thought that the orientation of how you open the A5 door could be to allow the glass drop, as you pull the handle it comes upwards rather than outboard towards the yourself. Is this the same for the A7?

Also I had the thought that the orientation of how you open the A5 door could be to allow the glass drop, as you pull the handle it comes upwards rather than outboard towards the yourself. Is this the same for the A7?

On the A7 platform, the door handles have a micro-switch fitted. As soon as the handle is pulled, even by a millimetre, the window immediately drops. If you move the handle a little then let go without actually opening the door, the glass immediately closes.

Dam clever these Germans :racer:

This window issue is proving to be a very significant problem for Audi on the A5 platform. There is still no fix.

I've contacted Audi and they advised me to reset the windows. My windows was not dropping.

Hold the windows button up for 3 secs wknd the window down and hold button for 3 secs and the window resets. I got full functionality back window is now dropping and working as should be..... so far

Reactions: Liddo
Sorry to hear this is affecting more cars. A few us have struggled with this problem for many months see thread 'software-update-bricking-s5-coupe'

I am not aware of any mechanical, electrical or software fixes. We had many unsuccessful repairs / updates in first half of 2017 (tried all of the above and more). Tried your reset fix too, but in my experience it comes back. The fact that they are even suggesting this makes me think it hasn't been resolved. To be fair on the dealers, they are also in the hands of Audi Technical for a solution.

After many failed attempts, Audi agreed to replace my car. I take delivery in September. It seemed to be affecting only a handful of cars, which is why I agreed to a replacement. I will be watching my new car very carefully!

I hate to break it to you, but the issue is still unresolved according to Audi UK...even on new builds.

Passenger window gave me the same issues today.
The window wasn't dropping on opening the door.

Checked the MMI and it said the Long Press To Close was enabled, but it wouldn't work. So I couldn't try that.

Strange thing was the passenger window one touch feature wasn't working.

Eventually tried the "reset" option and everything is working again. Including the one touch.

Will look at getting the dealer to check. Even if no fix is known, it will add +1 to the count.

And another one... My S5 SB, 2 months old, 1500 miles, has the same problem. I took it to Aberdeen Audi to get it fixed, and after 2 days they advised they were waiting on a "fix" from Audi. Collected my car and they said they'd contact me when they had the fix... From all previous threads, I'm not holding my breath. If they can't fix soon I'll consider rejecting the car even though it really ticks all the boxes for me.

Damn. They really haven't sorted this then. My replacement is now built, waiting transportation. Car ticks all the boxes for me too, but I will seriously look at early rejection if reoccurs.

I also suggest logging a case with Audi UK customer services. I found them quite ineffective, but at least this ensures all the cases are being logged. Must be a fair number now.

Planning on registering my dissatisfaction and intent to reject the car, if a solution is not found within a reasonable timeframe, with Audi UK's Managing Director, Andrew Doyle, and Head of Marketing, Benjamin Braun.

Reactions: Liddo
Update - got my brand new replacement car and it has same window fault.... can't believe this is an isolated issue now

You’re joking! I have it on good form that this is issue is present on every 17 and 18 MY vehicle built. They just don’t have a clue as to what’s causing it. I’ve had water ingress on my convertible because of it. Because of the way the roof is, the window can look almost closed even if it hasn’t dropped.

Update - got my brand new replacement car and it has same window fault.... can't believe this is an isolated issue now

Ah shoot! That’s not a good result. What have the dealer said?

God help us when the weather starts to freeze and with windows stick to the rubber :(

I have only had a brief conversation and asked for the issue to be logged while I review my options. When I picked it up I was told that there are several cases logged now, and Audi UK / Germany are fully aware of the issue (a TP has been raised?) and are working on a fix. I will go in later this week to try and understand the status - from experience its hard to get a clear understanding of when fixes will appear and if they will work. If I keep it, my car will not go back in until a proven fix is available. BTW the first car was MY17 and the new one is MY18 - my personal view is that this is software related.

God help us when the weather starts to freeze and with windows stick to the rubber :(

Now I never thought of that.... this is going to be a real issue.

I had this issue a few times at the beginning. It seems that if you don’t fully close your door the window goes out of sync. There is a sensor underneath the door. The window will need to be reset. Every time I now make sure I properly close my door and it is working fine.

Best thing to do if the window doesn’t drop is to push forward the window - slight force and shut the door. Use the keys to fully lower the windows and then do a reset

Still suffering from persistent window not dropping issue with my brand new replacement car. Still waiting on Audi factory to provide a fix.

Audi UK offer no support or help and referred me back to Aberdeen Audi, who today told me that Germany had advised them that a fix would be provided by the end of October.
Don't hold your breath tho'

Now I never thought of that.... this is going to be a real issue.

Think I'll keep a can of antifreeze in the boot just in case! At least then you can spray around the top of the window/rubber.

Use the keys to fully lower the windows and then do a reset
Not got mine yet, but how do you do a reset? Always handy to know before the event!

For those worried about the winter and windows sticking to the rubber. @OliS3 in the S3 section just posted about this stuff 'Gummi Pfledge' it's designed to clean, protect and to stop freezing in winter!

Looks easy enough to use:

Update on window malfunction (not dropping when doors opened). Software fix to 2018 MY has fixed the problem. It’s been a long journey but I’ve had great support throughout from Aberdeen Audi. Very pleased!

I've started to develop a window fault. Windows occasionally not dropping when the door is open and then struggling to close unless I start the car and lower the window myself. Also had the car washed the other day and water starting coming in where the window sits in the middle door pillar. Doesn't happen when I rains so probs pressure of the water when washing....

It’s true there’s an update for MY18 (mine is now fixed), but I understand that this particular update isn’t compatible with earlier MYs...if anyone has earlier MY and had a successful update please advise

Just had this issue on my a5 sportback - 18 registered but ordered in Oct 17 so unsure if this makes it MY17 or MY18.

I suspect it may be due to cold temperatures and the fact I washed it yesterday, potentially I’ve not dried one of the seals properly and the window has stuck. the fault cleared after leaving the car alone for 5 mins then trying again. I’ve booked it in for a check with Audi to make sure there is no underlying problem and will update on here if anything crops up.

Yours will be MY18 like mine so software fix should be work for your car.

Only ‘valid’ reason for window not dropping is if ice has formed on lower seal preventing it from moving. What a terrible design. Thus is my first frameless window and they are really more trouble than they’re worth unless cab of course. When it’s freezing and you are stuck with open doors it’s no joke.

If no ice on windows then it should move. Rain or water is not an issue. The software update should work but I have still had 3 failures in 3 months, so it does completely fix issue. That’s substantially down on previous 30 per month though!

Yours will be MY18 like mine so software fix should be work for your car.

Only ‘valid’ reason for window not dropping is if ice has formed on lower seal preventing it from moving. What a terrible design. Thus is my first frameless window and they are really more trouble than they’re worth unless cab of course. When it’s freezing and you are stuck with open doors it’s no joke.

If no ice on windows then it should move. Rain or water is not an issue. The software update should work but I have still had 3 failures in 3 months, so it does completely fix issue. That’s substantially down on previous 30 per month though!

Interesting, the frameless windows look fantastic but like you say they’re a pain!!

My issue was with the passenger door, on shutting the window was coming up before the door was fully closed and shutting outside the door seal, I wonder if it ever dropped when I opened the door now. Re-opening the door caused the window to drop to half open (some sort of “fail safe” position I assume) I was then able to shut the door and wind the window up with the door already shut so it caused no issues with locking the car up (though I do wonder what I’d have done had the drivers door been the one that stuck). Returning to the car later I retried and found that winding the window fully up with the door open caused the window to drop into its normal opening position and I’ve since been able to open and close with no further issue. Just plain weird!

I've contacted Audi and they advised me to reset the windows. My windows was not dropping.

Hold the windows button up for 3 secs wknd the window down and hold button for 3 secs and the window resets. I got full functionality back window is now dropping and working as should be..... so far

Thanks for sharing this gem of info! I've had an issue with my passenger window on my A5 coupe where the switch would put the window down once and when you close it would go up and back down half way! Only to have to put it up in 15mm increments till it gets back to the top. Sometimes it would even sneak back to 50% on the odd occasion... Well frustrating, to say the least!

Decided to give the window reset a try before booking it in and it worked perfectly! Thank you, sir!

I' actually getting that on my brand new S5 too! Just got it on the 1st and it does it quite often. Sometimes it will open half way and then not go back up unless I do it manually from inside. Other times it doesn't go down at all and I have to do it manually again on the inside and like other people were saying the 1 touch doesn't work either. It only seems to do it on the passenger door for some reason. I've emailed the dealer so I'll wait to see what they say.