Window closures upon remote locking - Confused...

AJD S3

Reaction score
On my 2001 8L S3 (Facelift), I of course have remote central locking, which comes with the ability to close remaining open windows/hatches upon holding the 'Lock' button on the key itself.

This feature appears to work absolutely fine and as normal on the Driver's side window, and on the sunroof, but doesn't on the Passenger side window.

My question is - Is this normal, and is the car designed this way, or is something broken here?
Forgive me if this sounds stupid, but it's really confusing, and fairly irritating. If the sunroof didn't close either, I'd have thought this feature was only designed for the closure of the Driver's side window, but as it does, this leads me to believe it should be all windows/hatches that close upon holding the 'Lock' button.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

Should close all windows and the sunroof

However... if the battery has been off the one touch feature needs resetting and I think this can prevent the window from closing from the key like this...

To fix one touch operation you hold the window buttons up for at least 3-5secs and release... you should have one touch operation again..

Might be worth trying this first to see if it sorts the issue out...

You know you can also open all the windows when unlocking too (if coded else it can be in VCDS) ;P

<tuffty/>

Occasionally on my old car it wouldn't do the auto closure first touch of the button. I used to have to lock it then let go and then hold the button. Doesn't diagnose the problem but might offer a solution..

Thanks for your quick replies guys. I had thought it should be all of them closing.

<tuffty/> - It's interesting you should say this. My one-touch windows never seem to work unless I reset them using exactly the method you describe - holding the buttons up for 3 - 5 seconds. In other words, they constantly seem to reset themselves. I've never disconnected the battery on the car, nor has the battery ever died on me.

Even after resetting the one-touch system though, no joy with the passenger window. Still won't close when holding the 'Lock' button on the key.

Humm... you scanned for fault codes? seems you have a deeper set issue... maybe a wiring issue...

It is plausible that you could have had water ingress from the pollen filter thats done localised damage to the wiring in the passenger footwell... maybe worth pulling the kick panel cover off and having a look...

<tuffty/>

Mong question time... how can I activate total closure when locking the car but without holding down the lock button... if even possible?

I haven't just yet no, think I'll do that asap.

Definitely no water ingress from the Pollen Filter, checked this recently as I was doing some other work on the car. The only thing that I think could possibly have an effect on the wiring could be my aftermarket headunit fitting...

Had to run an active ignition lead from the driver side fuse box to ensure the headunit turns on and off with the ignition, I spliced this onto another lead already coming from the fuse box. Can't remember for the life of me which lead it was, but could this be related maybe?

Mong question time... how can I activate total closure when locking the car but without holding down the lock button... if even possible?
I'd be interested in this too. Fully open/close windows by double pressing the button or something. Anyone got any ideas?

Not as std no... to do this you would need to fit a third party alarm and module to activate the total closure system... I used to fit this kind of thing on my previous cars but never really bothered with the S3..

<tuffty/>

Occasionally on my old car it wouldn't do the auto closure first touch of the button. I used to have to lock it then let go and then hold the button. Doesn't diagnose the problem but might offer a solution..

snap

Thanks for all your ideas & suggestions guys, thing is I know I've tried all of them.

As per <tuffty/>'s suggestion, I think its time to start the fault code checks...

Thanks for all your ideas & suggestions guys, thing is I know I've tried all of them.

As per <tuffty/>'s suggestion, I think its time to start the fault code checks...

Do you have vcds?