Wind noise from drivers window

Has anyone managed to get a fix for the wind noise? I have mine booked in tomorrow. With my scirocco it took them a few attempts to actually fix the issue. (That was adjusting the frameless window to push up further into the door, so won't be the same solution)

Reactions: poketin
Chaps,

Long time lurker and been a member of various forums for different marques of cars, always found them to be an invaluable source of information at times so thought I would give something back relating to this very subject.......

So, had my car into the local dealers for exactly the same issue late last year and was told 'It's a characteristic of the car' so nothing done. Well, in my book a car costing near enough 40K should not have this sort of characteristic (Love that BS term!) so I have pursued it further as the wind noise is bugging the t~~s off me and with some perseverance Google has come up trumps once again.

Anyone with this issue needs to report to their dealer they are experiencing excessive wind noise from the drivers and passengers side door window area and quote Technical Product Information 2047728/2 which is a 4 page document detailing the fix. This was only released in July 2017 so fairly new.

Due to work commitments etc my car is booked in for this work but not until late November so will update how things go.

Interesting to see how others get on with this one?

Quick update......

Car has been in to local dealer and have full documentation that the required work has been carried out as per TPI.

Only problem is....................I think it's now worse!!

Where to go from here I do not know, love the car but hate the fact when cruising along at 60 mph+ it sounds like I have the ****** window open :sob:

Anyone else been brave enough to approach their local dealer and get this done?

Anyone has a copy of this document? Technical Product Information 2047728/2

My previous 8p was ok and so is my current 8V, my missus has a 16 plate A1 and that too is as quiet as something very quiet.

Imagination?

I have this issue as well. As far as I can tell the seals are all ok. My thoughts are the wing-mirror is causing air disturbance which is then hitting the window and creating the noise. If you have a car with a bad seal on the window, this would just amplify the problem.

Hello Chaps,

Yes, I have a copy of this but away on work commitments at present so not got it to hand.

If you call your local dealer and quote the TPI number you will probably be met with 'Sorry Sir we cannot just except any old number for a warranty repair that people throw at us' like I did. You then reply to this by asking them to wander off and speak to a Senior Technician to check and ask them to call you back when they have conformation and 5 minutes later your phone will ring and you proceed to book your car in for said repair.

The TPI is an interesting read as it shows pictures and describes the exact fault a vast majority of us are suffering. Wheat I would now say is 'DONT BOTHER' and turn up the stereo as I genuinely think it is worse now than before the repair. Even to the point my Mrs commented on it and she never comments on anything about the car (apart from it's dirty, it needs petrol and where have you put my sunglasses I left on the passenger seat) Can I be bothered to take it back again, probably not even though I have another 12 months on my warranty??

Subsequently I have noticed marks around the door frame which were caused during the repair but again, try to prove that one!

Mine is still there along with the creaking from the rear right and the rattles in the passenger door and dash so I've just turned the radio up and all is well :grinning:

My car is suffering from noise from the drivers window over 60mph made worse as my car can do that speed with no engine noise..... Has anyone successfully had this fixed. When I went to the local dealer recently I mentioned it and just got a load of Bulls***t from them no help or mention of a potential fix.....

Not had this issue with my S3 (or maybe we are talking about the same thing). Occasional squeaks (which becomes a chatter at speed) from the driver’s window seal but gummi pfledge sorted that (silicone in car shampoos contaminates the rubber seals). I recall watching a “Wheeler Dealers” episode years ago with a window seal leak in an Aston Martin. The fix (allegedly Aston do the same) was to pack out the seal (the same technique worked on my freezer that was constantly icing up).

Took the car to be checked today for another problem and the master Texhnician who I went for a drive with could hear the same noise whistle and rushing wind noise

It will go back for investigation in a couple of weeks .

Evening all - has anyone had any luck fixing this or getting audi to fix it?

Ive recently bought myself an S3 (15 plate) and whilst I am loving it i am noticing what i would deem excessive wind noise from the drivers side at any speed above 60..

For a car that was built to go at speed i am finding it difficult to fathom why this is occurring and how it should be accepted? Is it the aero dynamics off the wing mirror or is it the seals?

I would really appreciate it if anyone who has had success either with audi or fixing it themselves could reply as this is the only negative i have with the car but its really irritating!

Cheers

Last edited:
I have this on my 2016 rs3 it wasn’t there when I got the car so it’s definitely not aerodynamics

Had the car In to Audi they had it a day and bit got it back and it was better but now it’s back to how it was before

Any info much appreciated

Hello Chaps,

Yes, I have a copy of this but away on work commitments at present so not got it to hand.

If you call your local dealer and quote the TPI number you will probably be met with 'Sorry Sir we cannot just except any old number for a warranty repair that people throw at us' like I did. You then reply to this by asking them to wander off and speak to a Senior Technician to check and ask them to call you back when they have conformation and 5 minutes later your phone will ring and you proceed to book your car in for said repair.

The TPI is an interesting read as it shows pictures and describes the exact fault a vast majority of us are suffering. Wheat I would now say is 'DONT BOTHER' and turn up the stereo as I genuinely think it is worse now than before the repair. Even to the point my Mrs commented on it and she never comments on anything about the car (apart from it's dirty, it needs petrol and where have you put my sunglasses I left on the passenger seat) Can I be bothered to take it back again, probably not even though I have another 12 months on my warranty??

Subsequently I have noticed marks around the door frame which were caused during the repair but again, try to prove that one!

Hi EsS3x Audi - please could you share the TPI content with us or send via PM? I would really like to be able to take something with me to Audi to at least show that they acknowledge that there is an issue to be resolved. (and that im not just mental!)

Thanks

Hi EsS3x Audi - please could you share the TPI content with us or send via PM? I would really like to be able to take something with me to Audi to at least show that they acknowledge that there is an issue to be resolved. (and that im not just mental!)

Thanks

Me to if possible

Me three .... my car is going in next Monday ... be great To have something to point them towards ....

Reactions: Goubo1
Me three .... my car is going in next Monday ... be great To have something to point them towards ....

I’m in the process of trying to get mine back in again and as you say would be good to have something to point them towards

I'd love to hear what they say about it if you could let us know please? Will you be referencing the TPI?

I'd love to hear what they say about it if you could let us know please? Will you be referencing the TPI?

I am still after the details of The TPI , it is infuriating they do not pass this information on freely to help other customers !

Had mine in twice they said they couldnt any issues, i did fit wind deflectors and its definitely made it worse.

What about applyjng a transparent tint to the Window glass so it's a tighter fit in the seal when they are closed.

I.e. someone test my suggestion with cello tape and see if it helps

What about applyjng a transparent tint to the Window glass so it's a tighter fit in the seal when they are closed.

I.e. someone test my suggestion with cello tape and see if it helps

I'm not sure if it is the window seal, I think there is possibly 2 things happening. That there is turbulence/noise from the wing mirror and that the whistling is from the door seal not the window....

I'm not sure if it is the window seal, I think there is possibly 2 things happening. That there is turbulence/noise from the wing mirror and that the whistling is from the door seal not the window....

I can’t see it being the mirror mate as mine was silent when I first got the car and nothing around the mirror has changed....mine was in before for this and the door got moved so it closed a little tighter but never made any much difference

When I’m driving it sounds it’s coming from the top of the window like the window when fully closed isn’t fully butting up to where it should just a guess from what I can hear

I’m trying to get it booked back in but i work away from home so it’s hard for me...

If I get the chance I’m going to try Getty mate with a air line to blow air around that area with me in the car as that should make it come apparent where it’s coming from.inreally want this fixed as it’s really annoying me now and taking away a lot of enjoyment from the car

I booked my car in to have this done at the same time as the mystery subwoofer settings. They were actually aware of both issues which was a huge bonus.

Subwoofer controls sorted, wind noise slightly better but still definitely there.

(affects driver side only on my car.)

I booked my car in to have this done at the same time as the mystery subwoofer settings. They were actually aware of both issues which was a huge bonus.

Subwoofer controls sorted, wind noise slightly better but still definitely there.

(affects driver side only on my car.)
Did they give you any idea of what they had to do to improve it ?

Did they give you any idea of what they had to do to improve it ?

I don't think so but I would assume re-fitting or replacing the door seal. Can't see what else they could do other than maybe adjusting the hinges? (Not sure if there's any in/out adjustment on hinges)

May I ask where you took it ? I wonder if I could get my garage to phone the one that you used so annoying they don’t publish any information about the service programs for things like this

Guys,

Apologies for not getting back to anyone, had a mare of a time recently with one thing and another so not been very active.
Can't lay my hands on the hard copy of the TPI at present but I never had to actually wave this in front of the dealer once they confirmed the number was genuine, just booked the car in and had it done. BUT as I have said in previous post it was no better so decided to take it back yet again about 6 months later and this time had both front door seals replaced and low behold.........................................still no better!!

I will endeavour to locate a hard copy of the TPI and get it out to as many as needed. From memory it was something to do with the window guides?

My advice for now would be to call up and quote the number and say you are experiencing this problem and would like the work carried out under warranty, they basically can't refuse.

Reactions: jrumball
Guys,

Apologies for not getting back to anyone, had a mare of a time recently with one thing and another so not been very active.
Can't lay my hands on the hard copy of the TPI at present but I never had to actually wave this in front of the dealer once they confirmed the number was genuine, just booked the car in and had it done. BUT as I have said in previous post it was no better so decided to take it back yet again about 6 months later and this time had both front door seals replaced and low behold.........................................still no better!!

I will endeavour to locate a hard copy of the TPI and get it out to as many as needed. From memory it was something to do with the window guides?

My advice for now would be to call up and quote the number and say you are experiencing this problem and would like the work carried out under warranty, they basically can't refuse.

Thanks for replying, I think we are all just really interested in seeing what exactly is in the TPI before quoting it at Audi. Cant believe youve had it in twice and still no better! What did they do on each occasion?

Ive tried all sorts today to diagnose where its coming from, to no avail... taped up various seals around the window - no difference.... folded in the wing mirror - no difference... I even took it to Audi as i noticed the vertical seals at the window (B pillar) were not firmly in and hoping that by some miracle that this was the issue.. service chap had a quick look and ruled it out pretty quickly (i taped it up later and no difference) he was happy to suggest i leave it with them at £120-£150 an hour...!!! Anyway my taping it up made no difference.

Ive run out of ideas short of adding more D seals which im not sure will work.

The only thing i found that masks it is turning the B&O up or driving with the sunroof on tilt!

The car seems slightly better now happens at bait faster than 60 mph ..... still have the whistle. I gave them the TPI No. These are the notes I got back...

Investigate Wind noise

Carried out road test, confirmed noise from osf door around B pillar. Checked and found tpi . 2047728/4 Removed os inner door panel, Removed glass as required, checked and modified glass runner panel inside door. Lubricated seal. Reassembled and tested okay. Noise from B pillar okay. Noted noise from door mirrors, when mirror folded noise changes. Checked for damage on mirror all ok. Noise due to turbulence and no defects.

So it is defiantly a known issue but still not completely solved

May I ask where you took it ? I wonder if I could get my garage to phone the one that you used so annoying they don’t publish any information about the service programs for things like this

Tyneside Audi, sorry for the delay, I didn't get a notification for some reason.

My rs3 has just gone back in this morning

The service technician went a road test with myself as passenger(hammering down with rain so noise will be masked a bit) said he reckons it’s the mirrors and i call bulls**t on that as when I got the car no noise at all and nothing around the mirrors has changed

Starting to get really annoyed with Audi now as just seems like a bluff to get you out the door.....I’d have my mate have a look at his work but not wanting to ruin my warranty

My rs3 has just gone back in this morning

The service technician went a road test with myself as passenger(hammering down with rain so noise will be masked a bit) said he reckons it’s the mirrors and i call bulls**t on that as when I got the car no noise at all and nothing around the mirrors has changed

Starting to get really annoyed with Audi now as just seems like a bluff to get you out the door.....I’d have my mate have a look at his work but not wanting to ruin my warranty

What ever they did in the TPI above in my post has improved the situation there is definitely 2 components to it both noise from the mirrors and somthing to do with the windows which now happens at a higher speed than it did before

How long is the (standard) warranty that this might be covered under?

New car has 3 years in the uk ? Usually a year additionally with Audi Approved ...

I still have noise just happens at a faster speed !?!

I ve got the solution for this wind noise on the driver side- Audi couldnt handle it at all

All you have to do is:
- clean the window especially its upper part
- use silicone ( 3M Silicone ) for all the window and door seals and ALSO FOR THE MIRROR SEALS ( do it in close position)

Do it few times and it helps - u ll se

Cheers!

I ve got the solution for this wind noise on the driver side- Audi couldnt handle it at all

All you have to do is:
- clean the window especially its upper part
- use silicone ( 3M Silicone ) for all the window and door seals and ALSO FOR THE MIRROR SEALS ( do it in close position)

Do it few times and it helps - u ll se

Cheers!

My noise has come back it is now even more high pitched and whistling.....

Can you tell me the exact product you used ? a picture of the bottle maybe and exactly how and where you applied it .... It is driving me mad as my car is so quite on electric ....