1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wind noise from drivers window

Tristan2 Apr 13, 2016

1. Tristan2

Tristan2 Well-Known Member Team Nardo Bronze Supporter saloon Audi RS3 quattro DSG

Just noticed this from speeds 60 and above,from the drivers window,anybody else had this problem
    Looks like a dealer visit

TDI-line likes this.
  2. Avatar

Google AdSense Advertisement

3. Justo-S3

Justo-S3 Member Gold Supporter

I thought is was just meee!

Tristan2 and TDI-line like this.
  4. cuke2u

cuke2u Well-Known Member TFSI Owners Group saloon Audi A4 S-line owners group

Nope very quiet, perhaps a door or window seal has mis-fitted...

Justo-S3 likes this.
  5. TDI-line

TDI-line Uber Post Whore Team Floret Silver TDi Audi A3 Black Edition quattro

I've had this since new, and lived with it for 2 1/2 years, never think about it driving round town, then do a long distance and there it is. Oh well, it will be handed back soon for another one.

Justo-S3 likes this.
  6. Tristan2

Tristan2 Well-Known Member Team Nardo Bronze Supporter saloon Audi RS3 quattro DSG

Anybody had this fixed by the dealer,is this common?

Justo-S3 likes this.
  7. Chris4410

Chris4410 Active Member Team Glacier Audi S3 saloon Audi TT Audi A5 Black Edition quattro

I have this as well, would interested to hear if anyone has had a successful fix from Audi

Justo-S3 likes this.
  8. Justo-S3

Justo-S3 Member Gold Supporter

I'm booked in on 21st so ill bring it up

9. Stevier88

Stevier88 Active Member

Have this on my saloon, always think the window hasn't went all the way up properly

Justo-S3 likes this.
  10. Rob2k68

Rob2k68 Well-Known Member VCDS Map User MQB Platform

If you push out on the glass whilst driving (carefully) does it go away ?

How's the general fit of the door are the feature lines lining up and the black B post finisher at the front door flush to the rear door ?

Taping up joints from outside the car (need two people or do this yourself then get in through the passenger side) is commonly used to identify the source of any air leaks/wind noise - use a tape that won't leave a residue behind though electrical insulation tape is pretty good for this.

RAF_S7, SW14NY'S and pburv like this.
  11. RYes3

RYes3 Active Member Team Nardo Audi RS3

This issues has existed on every 8P I have ever had, A3,S3,RS3, I'm a bit gutted to read this as I have an 8V on the way to me now and I was hoping this would have been solved! Grrrr!

12. Avatar

13. Lightspeed998

Lightspeed998 Member Team Sepang Audi S3

Had this on 2 8V S3s! Think it's 'just the way it is' I'm afraid.

14. Tristan2

Did Audi try to fix this?
    I'm taking mine in tomorrow to see what they say

15. Lightspeed998

Lightspeed998 Member Team Sepang Audi S3

Never took them back. That's the downside of doing mods, too much hassle to go back to standard for a minor issue.

Rob2k68 likes this.
  16. Tristan2

Surely it's just the engine and gearbox that losses the warranty?

17. Martinbanshee

Martinbanshee Well-Known Member TeamMisano Audi S3 saloon quattro

"Yes Sir, we've resolved the wind noise issue from the front door. Oh, and we noticed you've modified the ECU software during our regular software update, have a free TD1 on us."

18. Rob2k68

How did you get on mate ?

19. cilurnum

cilurnum Active Member

Can be a common problem, probably a door seal. My left rear window seems to be generating some wind noise so I'm getting that checked out next week.

20. Chris4410

Chris4410 Active Member Team Glacier Audi S3 saloon Audi TT Audi A5 Black Edition quattro

I will probably get mine booked in next week for them to have a look at it, really starting to annoy me.

21. Big Matt

Big Matt Member

Hi did you get the wind noise from the driver side window sorted out if so what was it as mine makes noise aswell.

22. Bittern

Bittern Well-Known Member TDi Audi A3 S-line owners group

Hmmm my A3 8V TDI has NO wind noise in any of the windows!. Must be an S3 thing ?

23. Chris4410

Mine is going in on Thursday to have it investigated, if it gets sorted I will put the fix here

24. steeve

steeve Well-Known Member Team Ibis TeamMisano Audi S3

Mine has no unnecessary wind noise at any speed

Last edited: May 2, 2016
    Rob2k68 likes this.
  25. Chris4410

Well surprise, surprise. Audi have told me the wind noise is normal, however they have agreed that it is quite loud so they are sending a report to Audi to find out if there are any recommended fixes.

I have ordered a set of the new wind deflectors to see if this makes any difference, I like the look of them anyway.

26. SW14NY'S

SW14NY'S YOLO - FISH TeamMisano Team Panther Audi S3 Audi TT quattro

Chris, from experience this will only make matters worse....especially if you ever remove the deflectors, as the the way they are fitted they widen the rubber seal between the door window and its seal, over a prolonged amount of time will become permanent and so much worse.

27. Big Matt

Big Matt Member

Dito took mine last night to Audi went out for a test drive and he could hear the noise both sides, he said TT is a lot worse.

28. Ignition1

Ignition1 I like Audi

No sound from mine either at any speed. It's certainly not normal and I wouldn't take Audi's response at face value.

If it was normal then I'm sure one of the many reviews of the A3 would've picked up on it - and none I've read mention wind noise.

Simon L and Rob2k68 like this.
  29. Rob2k68

The TT door is frameless and therefore bound to be worse he's not comparing apples with apples - lame excuse !!

Ignition1, Simon L and SW14NY'S like this.
  30. Tristan2

Anybody had a successful fix on this,as my local dealer has no clue what's causing this

31. Martinbanshee

Martinbanshee Well-Known Member TeamMisano Audi S3 saloon quattro

My TT definitely had less wind noise than my S3 but it's not enough to bother me.

32. Tristan2

I'm going to try a different dealer to try and fix this,it's bloody annoying

Rob2k68 likes this.
  33. Avatar

34. Chris4410

If you get a fix I would love to hear what it is, we only have one Audi dealer in Northern Ireland so I don't have the option to try elsewhere

Rob2k68 likes this.
  35. mikemod

mikemod Well-Known Member Team Tango Audi S3

Getting this on mine as well, looks like no point in me reporting this to Audi Belfast as they told you yours was normal.

36. Chris4410

Would love to turn up together and report the same problem, it's really ******* me off

37. SamR92

SamR92 Well-Known Member Team Floret Silver Sportback TDi Audi A3 S-line owners group

I have the same issue, and a few rattles/cracks from dashboard when cold, but have always just done the quick fix... turn the radio up! (If you can't hear it, is it really there? )

38. Mrs Wogan's Lemon Drizzle

Mrs Wogan's Lemon Drizzle Active Member

Did anyone ever get to the bottom of this? i can here a little wind noise at "motorway" speeds, i cant hear anything when in the passenger seat so it seems odd that it's always the drivers side?

39. Tristan2

No
    But dealer does recognise there is a difference between driver and passenger sides

40. Mrs Wogan's Lemon Drizzle

interesting. just out of interest how intrusive is the noise at 60 in your experience? can it be heard over the hum of the aircon for example?

41. The_Ironist

The_Ironist Active Member

I started experiencing this about a month ago after 2 years of no issues. Only at 65+ coming from windscreen more passenger side. Quite high pitched so could be heard over music.

Had windscreen replaced by autoglass about 11 months ago so logged as warranty issue with them.

Senior tech visited and went for a drive, agreed could be windscreen and would replace to be sure. He took the old one off. Slight bubble in adhesive but not all the way through.

After replacement it was reduced but not gone so thought it had been that. But now seems to come and go so thinking unlinked...

42. Rob2k68

Surprised no garage has suggested an odourless smoke machine similar to how they test for boost leaks or water leaks in the cabin just by filling it up with smoke and looking for where any seals may be breached by the smoke escaping.

43. Mrs Wogan's Lemon Drizzle

in my case i don't think the seals on the door are dodgy. I'm wondering if it's some weird aerodynamics thing that effects the A3?