wilwood calipers

Mpathe

1st gear
Reaction score
ive just got hold of some willwood 4 pots and are ment to be used with 32mm thick discs but im wondering if it would be ok to run them with the leon 323mm x 28mm discs as i want to still be able to run std alloys. thanks

I would think it would be fine.
A mate of mine has willwoods on his astra gsi that uses standard discs... ( i think they are 28mm thick )

ive just got hold of some willwood 4 pots and are ment to be used with 32mm thick discs but im wondering if it would be ok to run them with the leon 323mm x 28mm discs as i want to still be able to run std alloys. thanks

Er....NO!!!! You run the risk of popping the pistons when the pads wear down!!!! Go buy some R32 discs, they're 334x32 and will go under standard 17's :)

Why not test it using shims and you will know rather than every one elses guess at what you need. Remember its always better to say no as its then easier to say I told you so. Sorry as an engineer i always find opinion is far stronger than fact as soon as you say SAFETY so test it your self and make sure you are satisfied with the results. Failing that pay someone to take the decision and take the responsibility.

Er....NO!!!! You run the risk of popping the pistons when the pads wear down!!!! Go buy some R32 discs, they're 334x32 and will go under standard 17's :)
So its good to see that you measured it and there is less than a 2mm overlap for these calipers.

I've just converted a set of Evo8 calipers to fit my S3. They're designed to run 32mm discs so I know the R32 discs go under the standard wheels. I could've shimmed the pads but I didn't want them squealing like a little piggy every five minutes but it is an option if you're hell bent on using the 28mm LCR discs. It's really touch and go whether the pistons will pop out with the narrower discs and not really worth the chance.

So its good to see that you measured it and there is less than a 2mm overlap for these calipers.

Yes Paul, I measured it and chances are, they'd stay in but it wasn't a risk I was prepared to take. If in doubt, over engineer! :)

forget piston poping out, once the pads wear out say they went metal to metal then the pads would have a chance of dropping out the carrier. but with out looking could'nt say if this is a possibility, id go with the r32 discs anyway as there bigger too