will S3 gearbox fit a TT

nazS3

Reaction score
Hi guys

was wondering if anyone knows will a gearbox from a S3 8l 210 bhp amk 2001
be compatible on a audi tt 225 bam 2001 ? i know both cars use a 6 speed box, just not sure about the bhp difference
thanks in advance.

they share gearboxes across models so I don't see why not. My 2001 S3 AMK has a dqb gearbox code which is an option on an 01 TT... an FHB gearbox would probably be fine also

Why would the extra bhp affect the compatibility of the gearbox

While it fits I should have mentioned there are a couple of things to watch out for... pre 2001 02M boxes use a different connection for the gear change cables... they have a ball and socket setup rather than the later ones that use a post and clip setup... this is no biggy as this part can be swapped over... the other difference is the transfer box... earlier boxes use an alloy bracket to secure the transfer box to the engine block... later boxes use a steel one... you need to make sure you use the right bracket for the box rather than the one you have currently on your car as it may be different...

Both 2001 AMK (S3) and BAM (TT) used changeover kit from the APY/APX engine codes and I have seen both types of gearbox setup in these cars... mines a late 2001 (51) AMK and I have the later setup but have seen other AMK's with the previous stuff...

The box itself will fit fine but just be aware of these differences

<tuffty/>

Reactions: nazS3
While it fits I should have mentioned there are a couple of things to watch out for... pre 2001 02M boxes use a different connection for the gear change cables... they have a ball and socket setup rather than the later ones that use a post and clip setup... this is no biggy as this part can be swapped over... the other difference is the transfer box... earlier boxes use an alloy bracket to secure the transfer box to the engine block... later boxes use a steel one... you need to make sure you use the right bracket for the box rather than the one you have currently on your car as it may be different...

Both 2001 AMK (S3) and BAM (TT) used changeover kit from the APY/APX engine codes and I have seen both types of gearbox setup in these cars... mines a late 2001 (51) AMK and I have the later setup but have seen other AMK's with the previous stuff...

The box itself will fit fine but just be aware of these differences

<tuffty/>

cheers mate appreciated

are the DQB boxes off the 2000 s3 210bph compatable with the box FMN gearbox any help plz

what is the diffrence if any as ime new to audi and not clued up ?

lets bring the old topic alive again. so my question is this, i have audi a3 8l 1.8t quattro 5-speed and agu-engine code, my gearbox failed and i found one that has WW0 6 gb-code (02M301103D part number) is this compatible with my car? sry for bad/misspelled post, im from finland so there might be some words wrong.

Your A3 quattro is definitely an AGU?... has it had an engine swap? AGU was FWD (in the UK at least anyway) unless they did a quattro AGU for Finland which is plausible considering...

A3 quattro is either a 5 speed or 6 speed 02M gearbox so a TT quattro 180 or 225 gearbox will fit as they are all 02M

What is the gearbox you found from?

<tuffty/>

well thats what reads on my engine, i can go and check that in a minute. the gearbox that i had in mind is from britain and i know that the side is wrong but if it fits i will order it and put it in.

ill ttake the agu comment back, i called my friend who is the last owner of the car and mentioned arx engine code as the right one, sry for wrong information.

Reactions: <tuffty/>
gearbox orientation is the same regardless of LHD/RHD

Picture of the engine bay may help... is it cable throttle or drive by wire?

<tuffty/>

ill ttake the agu comment back, i called my friend who is the last owner of the car and mentioned arx engine code as the right one, sry for wrong information.
Ok... thats more like it lol...

In which case its an 02M box you currently have and the 02m 6 speed will physically fit...

Just check the connections of the gear change cables to the change tower... early boxes had a push fit ball joint fitting, later boxes are a pin and clip setup... I suspect yours will be ball type... if the box you are getting is pin then you will need to address that

Not done that particular swap myself so can't comment exactly on whats involved but you may need to swap a few parts about to get it all working...

Please also note that the part number 02M301103D is not for the gearbox but is in fact the outer gearbox casing... searching on that part number netted a few front wheel drive boxes which will not work as a quattro box so be sure of what you are buying

<tuffty/>

the box im watching is from quattro tt 8n and my car has drive by wire, does this help?

thanks mate, ill order it and my bebe is back in business! hopefully. this has been nightmare first i had deer accident and 2weeks after got my car fixed this happened...

one more question, its from bam-engine does it change anything? :/
Nope... BAM typically uses the later gear change cable connections so you may have to do some swapping of bits if yours has the ball type is all

<tuffty/>

the box will fit... you may just need to put a little work in to get the cables fitted is all

<tuffty/>

Pretty sure the shifters will swap over... I recently fitted a TT box from an earlier car to my S3 but it came with no shifters on the tower, I just used mine and it works so I believe you will have no issue there

<tuffty/>

i have my 2 friends with me doing it. one has own repairshop but wasnt sure about this kind of change so thats why i asked from here.