Will S1's hold their value?

willttqs

Reaction score
Just had a quick look on auto trader and an Audi dealer has a blue S1 for £21k, although not a great spec it does seem a low price, so therefore do you guys think they will depreciate worse than a golf gti?

i wish audi would stop making the s1 right now ! if that happened i think we d be on a winner
good spec low mile examples will always fetch strong money , more so than a golf gti i would think

Audi make me laugh they make you wait like 9 months for the car, there are not that many S1's in the road but yet the residuals seem very poor to me, but then having said that I didn't buy the car for the residual I bought it to have fun . However I do think they will get better though.
DTYME83

i dont think the residuals are too bad , cars with poor spec will always loose money , fully loaded cars are always more desirable , when they are a year old so the demand better values
my car is fully specced cost £34 k new its 12 months old now and id still say its worth £25500 ! its only really lost the balue of the extra s on it

I was gonna trade up to an RS3 and they only wanted to give me £22500 and then had the cheek to tell me even the ones that are poorly spec have the same value and that spec on the car was custom to me. I had to laugh and walk out. However I did point out to him that most of the S1's that had poor specs are still up for sale in the Audi network and that should say something, cars with poor specs don't generally sale.

DTYME83

mine is quite a low spec, does not even have a DAB radio which is a bit annoying. Think I will keep it for another year and see what happens with values then. webuyanycar valued it at £17,700 which is crazy

Yes it is crazy, that is why dealers have so many cars in stock that they can't get rid of because the residuals are so crap. My local dealer isn't buying card unless you are buying a new one.
DTYME83

I'll be keeping mine at least till the new RS focus comes out , it will be a choice then between the focus an rs3 or I like the s3 cabriolet

Reactions: PastS1Owner
I'm going through this hassle as my RS3 is coming in Oct and need the car gone by then. It should be worth £26-27k with my spec, but dealers are being very reserved. Gonna stick it up for that much and wait for someone that wants every option ticked and no wait to come along.

Of course it's worth that maybe a little more the only issue is the colour what people want, that is the question??
DTYME83

Yes I think the S1 will hold its money quite well compared to its rivals such St fords and vxrs.
My final payment is just under 9k in 46 months so I'm expecting it to be worth several thousands more.
Would love an rs3 not a fan of rs fords especially as it's only available in 5 door.

Last edited:
mine is quite a low spec, does not even have a DAB radio which is a bit annoying. Think I will keep it for another year and see what happens with values then. webuyanycar valued it at £17,700 which is crazy

30 odd grand car and it doesn't have DAB. That's just sheer greed by Audi. Can't remember the last car I looked at buying not having it! I know S cars are for real enthusiasts but you'd like some normal creature comforts.

It was the earlier ones that didn't have or unfortunately
DTYME83

Yes I think the S1 will hold its money quite well compared to its rivals such St fords and vxrs.
My final payment is just under 9k in 46 months so I'm expecting it to be worth several thousands more.
Would love an rs3 not a fan of rs fords especially as it's only available in 5 door.

ive had a mk2 RS focus and have to say im not a fan either but i think the mk3 will be a different animal
i had a renaultsport megane rs250 after the focus and that was way ahead of it in every way

It's like the money men at VX. Took electric rear windows, visible exhaust, sports pedals and BT out of every spec car and put it on the options list. Oh and under thigh support for passengers. Money men shouldn't be involved in car design. If only.

Think I'd prefer
ive had a mk2 RS focus and have to say im not a fan either but i think the mk3 will be a different animal
i had a renaultsport megane rs250 after the focus and that was way ahead of it in every way
i had a Megane 250 also great car, I sold it and went all Eco for two years then sold it for the s1.
Personally think the new rs is a bit max power much rather have an rs3 all day long.

I've just started to sell mine. Put it up for just under £24k, but hoping to get £23k. Trade the other month was around £22k. Mine has quite a high spec. Sepang, HDD NAV, Quattro Interior, BOSE, 18" Upgraded Wheels, Rear Parking etc. Think list was just over £31k

What I don't understand is from the JCWs thread comparing that to an S3 should it not be compared to an S1? Both in the same price bracket (both too expensive for what they are) and size and proportions? My guess, having never driven either, but driven new Cooper S and wife's MINI, is they both have a very firm set up and driving dynamics? Or am I totally wrong? :racer:

I think the trouble is because the base car only cost £25 000 ish, no matter how much extra you spend on all the goodies that is the price that the dealers are going to base the resale value on. I ended up pushing mine up to 35k with the after market wheels, remap and the optional extras but I know full well that I'm not going to get anywhere near that if I sell it in 3 to 4 years time. Like Daniel said I'm going to have a lot of fun in it and not think about resale values just yet.

Reactions: coddy85 and DTYME83
The value the dealers are putting on the S1's will backfire as we are not longer living in times where people are prepared to throw away money so I do believe the price will go up not to mention a lot of the first S1's have not sold due to poor specs. There are just certain things people will live without and certain things people wont.
DTYME83

Wait another 2-3 years and S1 will be a rarity. Would be nice if they stopped production this year and make them even rarer.

Reactions: DTYME83