Will our car be a write off ?

shifty_steve

Reaction score
We are hoping our beloved A3 wont be a write off, anyone have any idea?
...there doesn't seem to be many 5 door 1.8T's of this era in silver and we loved this car.

Sad time, but could of been much worse, our injuries are minor...car spun round 180 after being hit hard
on drivers side... it broke the rear passenger side wheel and carved the tarmac.

Will it be a write off :(

Crash3

Crash1

Crash2

Yes. Not cost effective to repair

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Reactions: shifty_steve
Sorry to say Pretty much guaranteed as there is a substantial amount of damage there.
The main thing is no serious injuries. The car can be replaced.

Yes definitely I think most 8ls would be written off if involved in an accident due to the age and price they go for

Reactions: Gavin thyvhhh and shifty_steve
Ah, thanks for replies...be hard to find a replacement to match this quality for the few hundred £££ they might offer...
Really love this era too

Ah, thanks for replies...be hard to find a replacement to match this quality for the few hundred £££ they might offer...
Really love this era too
I hope you weren't injured but
Look at it as an opportunity to get a s3

I hope you weren't injured but
Look at it as an opportunity to get a s3
Don't know how UK insurance works, but here in Belgium you can demand that the cat be replaced by the same car with same equipment level.
Insurance companies hate this and will do almost anything to sell you the fact it's a write off and give you pennies.

Just don't take no for an answer and brush up your legalese.

And is all else fails, listen to TJ ;-)

Sent from a green cloud on planet Procrastination

Thanks all & JohnDuh, it doesn't make much sense just writting good vehicles off, I'm sure this car could be fixed if funds would allow.
I'd much sooner get the insurance to pay a bodyshop money to fix it, keep people in jobs etc etc..

This car is as good if not better than many of our friends modern cars...

Everyone at work always remarked how great it looked and could never believe it was 17yrs old...it has been a good advert for Audi

How much are these s3's...do they come in 5 door.. ;*)

£2k for a high mileage one, no they are only 3 door

If scrapped check if they will sell it back to you. If it's cheap and you have the time you could sell on a lot of the parts to help with the next car

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our insurance have offered £985 ...but we can't find another 1.8T 5 door in very good conditon to work out if this is reasonable or not.
...insurance company says they can't find another model like ours because it's a rare combination ?

I've searched here and fleabay, autotrader etc...not found any 5 door 1.8T's

Does £985 seem ok , the car was in very good condition throughout and very well maintained etc

Never accept the first offer. Had a quick whizz on autotrader. As you say not so many 1.8T A3's especially in 5 door. A few extra hundred pounds isn't going to make much difference in this claim. The whiplash / medical payout will be far higher than the cost of the vechicle. Dependednt on mileage and year go for £1300.
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201707097220469?
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201707026979251?
May be an opportunity to trade up to a newer model /shape.
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201706206602782?

well I just saw your post 161K is a lot of miles compared to the cars I listed. I would still reject the offer as you have nothing to lose. They will add a bit more but £1000 is probably a good price in reality with that mileage and age.

Thanks, looking at those adverts it does seem about right. A lot of car for the money.

Reastically you will probably get £1k max for that, it will probably go down as a Cat C, so you should be able to buy the car back for about £100, so you could get it repaired and carry on using it, you will just need to get another MOT once the work has been done.

Reactions: shifty_steve and hydro s3
I wouldn't bother buying the car back with that amount of damage. There is potentially a lot of labor and parts to repair that. Take the money and move on. Hopefully stick with Audi there are good cars out there but the problem is in this kind of case that you are usually under pressure to find some more wheels and it's a case of what comes along first. Hope you find something good and you are still in an Audi.

Reactions: Nilz, shifty_steve and Tj 0785
Sorry to hear you're bad news

Thank you, all advice gratefully received.
We are now looking for our next A3, we have a temporary budget of £3k to get us back on the road, preferably a petrol, ideally a 1.8t again.
I'll check the classified section.

thanks again

Thank you, all advice gratefully received.
We are now looking for our next A3, we have a temporary budget of £3k to get us back on the road, preferably a petrol, ideally a 1.8t again.
I'll check the classified section.

thanks again
You can get a respectable 8p for that money. Good luck

Go to Gumtree do a nation wide search for Audi A3 1.8T as there is a few there . I have come across 2 / 3 sliver ones ranging from 500 to 2000 if i mind eighrly but thwy are Hatchbacks .

Last edited: