Will CAT D effect my insurance?

JDM82

Reaction score
Im looking at buying a car that has insurance notified CAT D. The damage was an electrical fault in the interior which damaged the seats etc. The damage has been repaired. The salesman has assured me that CAT D wont increase my quote etc but Im unsure. I can't really do 2 quotes, one declaring CAT D and one not cause then they will know so I thought id see if you guys could answer through your own past experiences etc.

The insurance premium doesn't go up for Cat D as such, it's more of a case of some insurance companies won't insure Cat D cars, or if they do, in the event of a payout, you will get Cat D payout, and the car will most likely be written off the second time round.

As above. Although when I spoje to my insurer HIC after taking a fancy to an S4 they weren't bothered by the CAT-D and any payout would be as per a straight non CATD car. The biggest problem is most people get very wound up by the "insurance write off / CAT-D" thing and as such resale values are typically a chunk lower than the equivelent non registered car.

Yeah thats the case here, the car Im looking at is a BMW M3 and its a good 2 and a half grand cheaper than the others the same age etc so Im keen on it, the CAT D doesn't bother me as long as its not more expensive to insure.

E46? ****** awesome car!! Find out why it was CAT-D and get somebody to scan through the car with the BMW software. My brother unearthed a couple of stinkers doing this

It has a written report. An electrical fault in the drivers seat caused a fire which damaged the seat and interior. All has been replaced. I'll see about a scan if I decide to go through with it.

Cheers for the advice.

Im looking at buying a car that has insurance notified CAT D. The damage was an electrical fault in the interior which damaged the seats etc. The damage has been repaired. The salesman has assured me that CAT D wont increase my quote etc but Im unsure. I can't really do 2 quotes, one declaring CAT D and one not cause then they will know so I thought id see if you guys could answer through your own past experiences etc.

Hi
Sorry for the delay, I have just returned from holiday.
Yes, no problem on our scheme!