WiFi Hotspot

The Silverfox

Reaction score
I haven't added my own SIM yet and just wanted to know before getting one, is the WiFi Hotspot in the car on and available with the ignition off?

You can try it without the SIM. (If you have the tech package with inbuilt SIM)

Once connected it will just redirect you to a Data-plan site. I don't think it is available with the ignition off tho, I had mine connected which I was messing with the MMI Connect app and turning the car off kicked the phone off the Wifi.

OK, thanks. I'll give it a try.

It's just that my dash cam has a cloud facility where it will connect to the internet via the car hotspot and it will send notifications of any incidents like if somebody hits your car and you can also remotely view what it going on around the car via your phone. Of course, if the car hotspot isn't live with the ignition off then it makes this facility useless.

OK, thanks. I'll give it a try.

It's just that my dash cam has a cloud facility where it will connect to the internet via the car hotspot and it will send notifications of any incidents like if somebody hits your car and you can also remotely view what it going on around the car via your phone. Of course, if the car hotspot isn't live with the ignition off then it makes this facility useless.

Did you find out if the car hotspot will connect to dash cam while engine is off mate? I want to know before purchasing a sim card for my car

You can try it without the SIM. (If you have the tech package with inbuilt SIM)

Once connected it will just redirect you to a Data-plan site. I don't think it is available with the ignition off tho, I had mine connected which I was messing with the MMI Connect app and turning the car off kicked the phone off the Wifi.
Doesn't work with the inbuilt sim on my and others A4's and this has been documented before. The only way to get the wifi hotspot is to use a alternative Sim card.

Did you find out if the car hotspot will connect to dash cam while engine is off mate? I want to know before purchasing a sim card for my car

No, the WiFi Hotspot isn't live when the ignition is off, whether you use the built-in SIM or use your own.