Why the feck do I bother!!!!!!

Purple Princess

Reaction score
I have been working since the age of 14.
Late last year we lost our house and we ended up in a hostel. I had to give up my job as it was too far away to contine employment and as a result I fell into depression. Anyway, after alot of help and support I'm on the road to recovery.
I have now decided to embark on a career. I have dreamed of being a probation officer for a long time so I'm doing it. I applyed to the college to do an Access to humanities and social science course (diploma) and have been accepted!! Yay me

So off I go sorting out things. A bus pass....
NOPE you're over 19(im 25) you dont get a student bus pass that will be £956 pr year please!
Ok a discount for a bus pass as im now a student....
NOPE you're over 19 so even though you're studying you don't qualify for a student discount
Ok maybe a grant/loan to help get me started....
NOPE you're over 19 so you dont qualify
:motz::motz::motz::motz:
FOR FOOOK SAKE!! Oh did I mention you have to actually BE OVER 19 to do the course!! :banghead:
The goverment are saying Oh you should retrain now whilst there is no work etc etc etc Yea ok Mr goverment you try it!!!!!!

Ahhhhhhhhhhh. I really don't know what im going to do. I have sold everything I can think of to raise some money. I cleaned a mates house to get some, I even got up at 5am yesterday to do a car boot sale!!

So there is my rant over. If you have kids let them read this. Do it all before your 19 kids or you will get sweet fanny adams from anyone!!!

I feel for you mate. It's tough to start at the bottom but stick at it. My ex is a probation officer and she loves it!

Probation officer?, rather you than me!.

But seriously though, if you want to do it dont let the ones in charge **** you off.

I did engineering when I left school so I was an apprentice. I carried on for about 4 years till I got fed up of being made redundant so I bummed about for a few years. Winters snowboarding in canada and becoming an instructor and ten just temping in the UK in the summer. I grew out of that and decided I needed to settle so I wanted to go to uni or college to get some skills....they didnt want to know. I had qualifications in mechanical engineering etc so was no waste but they didnt care. No courses I wanted would have me because I was 'too old' and 'should have done them sooner'. Well excuse me for working my *** off since I was 16 and wanting a bit of a break.

Thats why I settled on the Police, I should have done it sooner but it didnt suit me back then so I joined at 25. Best move I ever did, although I wanted to tell the powets that be to get f*cked I ended up working for them...as will you!. Funny how things turn out?!.

Keep your chin up though, took a while for me to get into the plod (3 years) but it was all worth it. If you want it you'll get it, just take the rough with the smooth and keep your eye on the end result.

T

your over 19 no way i thought you was 18

Probation officer?, rather you than me!.

But seriously though, if you want to do it dont let the ones in charge **** you off.

I did engineering when I left school so I was an apprentice. I carried on for about 4 years till I got fed up of being made redundant so I bummed about for a few years. Winters snowboarding in canada and becoming an instructor and ten just temping in the UK in the summer. I grew out of that and decided I needed to settle so I wanted to go to uni or college to get some skills....they didnt want to know. I had qualifications in mechanical engineering etc so was no waste but they didnt care. No courses I wanted would have me because I was 'too old' and 'should have done them sooner'. Well excuse me for working my *** off since I was 16 and wanting a bit of a break.

Thats why I settled on the Police, I should have done it sooner but it didnt suit me back then so I joined at 25. Best move I ever did, although I wanted to tell the powets that be to get f*cked I ended up working for them...as will you!. Funny how things turn out?!.

Keep your chin up though, took a while for me to get into the plod (3 years) but it was all worth it. If you want it you'll get it, just take the rough with the smooth and keep your eye on the end result.

T

I thought about the police but that will be my seccond choice if all else fails with the probation service. I have been reading "wasting police time" by "PC David Copperfeild" very interesting insight into the work you guys do :)
I am going to stick at it and have written to my MP to complain about the lack of help avaliable he has put me onto some people who may be able to help WOOP!!

your over 19 no way i thought you was 18

only jokin tried to cheer you up stacie

only jokin tried to cheer you up stacie

Unfortunately in the society we live in, people like Stacie who are trying to better themselves seem entitled to less and less. Whilst on the other hand the people who sit back and let the state support them are entitled to more and more. It's pathetic really and driving the country into the ground I think. I'm not trying to go off topic here so I'm sure you all know what I mean!

I learnt a long time ago (I'm nearly as old as mark, but not quite ;)) that the way to succeed in this life is to expect nothing in the way of help from the governemnt etc, and to be prepared to do it all yourself and then you won't ever be disappointed, and even very occasionally, you might be pleasantly surprised!

I will do it even if I have to cycle the 20 miles!!!

And it sounds like with the above comment you have already made your mind up to do just that! Good luck :thumbsup:

Sorry to hear about your hassles there Stacie. The credit crunch is certainly affecting education. As you say - many state it is now the time to get into education, but the local government is putting caps on the numbers of learner recruitment post 16. I know of courses which are shut down through the financing structure. Less students = less staff. Education, whilst it is a 'safe' sector - it's not concrete.

Re: yourself and your course. You're correct about most the funding. I know funding for most learners is post 16, pre 19. The lsc generally don't want to know post 19 and many learners have to finance their own learning. I'd assume that you have applied to a FE (further education) college? If so, (depending on how good they are) I'm positive they will have a student career and advice centre / funding centre. Get hold of someone in there if possible, tell them your story. You might be entitled to an Adult learning Grant (ALG or equivalent) - Try this link. I'm not too sure how national that term is - but you may have heard of the Education Maintenance Award? (EMA) a big push by the government to get kids into further education - it's a similar kind of thing.

That site might help ya a wee bit maybe? I can't be too sure. Have a look and make some enquiries. What level is the course (do you know?), and how long is the course?

The best of luck with it all.
Rob

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about the problems there.

In Scotland there is a big anomaly where if you are at uni, the student awards agency take all your parental income into consideration for grants all the way til someone is 25!

When I did a course I was 23, was funding it myself and didn't get anything from my folks. I was living independently but did not get a bean from govt.

Compare this to people on the course who were over 25 still staying with their parents, were benefitting from bank of Mum and Dad, minimal outgoings but were getting full grants!!

Crazy. :keule:

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your hassles there Stacie. The credit crunch is certainly affecting education. As you say - many state it is now the time to get into education, but the local government is putting caps on the numbers of learner recruitment post 16. I know of courses which are shut down through the financing structure. Less students = less staff. Education, whilst it is a 'safe' sector - it's not concrete.

Re: yourself and your course. You're correct about most the funding. I know funding for most learners is post 16, pre 19. The lsc generally don't want to know post 19 and many learners have to finance their own learning. I'd assume that you have applied to a FE (further education) college? If so, (depending on how good they are) I'm positive they will have a student career and advice centre / funding centre. Get hold of someone in there if possible, tell them your story. You might be entitled to an Adult learning Grant (ALG or equivalent) - Try this link. I'm not too sure how national that term is - but you may have heard of the Education Maintenance Award? (EMA) a big push by the government to get kids into further education - it's a similar kind of thing.

That site might help ya a wee bit maybe? I can't be too sure. Have a look and make some enquiries. What level is the course (do you know?), and how long is the course?

The best of luck with it all.
Rob

Thank you very much for the advise:salute:. I am not entitled to EMA as im over 19 However I MAY be entitled to ALG. I will get a degree at the end of my learning as yes my college do have a lerners section and I have contacted them. They have said as im over 19 I will be entitled to nothing. I did contact my local MP about this and he has given me a number for the local council funding which I am dealing with/filling in forms for now. See complaining does work(I hope) :)
Thanks again

Sorry to hear about the problems there.

In Scotland there is a big anomaly where if you are at uni, the student awards agency take all your parental income into consideration for grants all the way til someone is 25!

When I did a course I was 23, was funding it myself and didn't get anything from my folks. I was living independently but did not get a bean from govt.

Compare this to people on the course who were over 25 still staying with their parents, were benefitting from bank of Mum and Dad, minimal outgoings but were getting full grants!!

Crazy. :keule:

Unfortunatly my mum and dad couldn't help me. It is the whole being over 25 thing Grrrrrrrrrr!!

Take the ferry to France, and come back as an Asylum seeker,,, all your funding troubles will be over...........

Hummm Im sure its not all that ****** easy!!!

Sit on your *** mate and they will give you everything. Thats the situation we are in with the UK. It is one of the only countries that helps people with cash that dont want to work. It has been setup for a reason but has got abused just like most other benefits in this country after all just like MPs expenses its paid by the taxpayer who doesnt get a say.

Keep up the good work Stacie, if you need extra cash, you can always sell your car to me ;)