why oh why didn't I buy that 1.0 Ecoboost Focus?

Kugaman1

Reaction score
Bad day today.......

87mph in a 70 zone.......

3 points and £100 fine.

Why did I buy a quick car again?

This happened this morning on the way to Aberdeen, very quiet dual carriageway, no one about and my speed drifted up......it happens!

Funny, but the same rozzers that pulled me had also pulled over a red Q3 on our way home! Do you think it was pull over Audis day today? or maybe a snooker day? 5 points for my Sepang then!

Lucky.....as we pulled in to refuel, we noticed more rozzers in a grey 5 series. They left the garage before we had finished refuelling.

Around 15 miles later, I was following a lorry at 45mph on a very long straight (between Hatton and Ellon for those who know the area)......I was really tempted to floor it and get past him.....but feeling sore from this mornings 3 points, I held back. Good job I did! the 5 series was hidden behind trees in a farm track 200 metres down the road....!

Oh, before anyone mentions it, we don't get an option for speed awareness courses up here!!!

Reactions: cpc_s3 and Smir
That's a bummer. Po Po all over the place.
My sentiment exactly, when you have a quick car it definitely is a
temptation not to floor it at times. :racer:

Reactions: Kugaman1 and Simon L
Sore one!

I remember on a dual carriageway a lady was sitting at 30 in a 40,hogging the lane for no reason. She eventually pulled over and I booted it out of pure frustration and looked in to see who the hell was driving. Blue rinse brigade! Turned back around just before a slight bend and damn it...police van. 54 in a 40. Some times it's just bad luck/stupidity or down right lack of concentration when you get done. If she had been in the left lane on an empty road to begin with I wouldn't have been booting it down the road.

Been close a few times thinking il over take here, you don't for whatever reason, then you see a police car 30 seconds up the road and you let of a sigh of relief. Almost been caught to many times!!!!!!! 0 points *touch wood

Reactions: GRE57Y and Blackwhite
I feel your pain mate, and to be honest this will be the one that gets me if I'm not careful.

I'm far too wily around town having picked up several fixed speed camera tickets donkey's years ago but it's so easy out on the open road. These cars hit 80 effortlessly! :blink:

Reactions: Kugaman1 and Blackwhite
You only have yourself to blame.................

Ecoboost 1.0 litre still goes more than fast enough to lose your licence...............

Reactions: cuke2u, DommyR, Darren92 and 1 other person
Yeah, had a 1.0 Focus a few years back. Gets into illegal territory quick enough.

All speeding is driver error. Obvious I know but thought I'd say it
I had 6 points several years ago, only slightly over but it was enough.

You only have yourself to blame.................

Ecoboost 1.0 litre still goes more than fast enough to lose your licence...............

Man I love these warm sentimental posts!! lol

Were you a policeman in another life @steeve? ;)

Reactions: FBF01
I feel your pain mate, and to be honest this will be the one that gets me if I'm not careful.

I'm far too wily around town having picked up several fixed speed camera tickets donkey's years ago but it's so easy out on the open road. These cars hit 80 effortlessly! :blink:

Definitely doesn't seem like 80. I never had the urge to go faster in my last car.
I guess I "Have the need for speed". :busted cop:

Reactions: Simon L
I don't think it's the car. That's not an unusual speed. Wrong place,wrong time. Don't let it get you down.

Reactions: Ignition1, Kugaman1 and Simon L
I don't think it's the car. That's not an unusual speed. Wrong place,wrong time. Don't let it get you down.

I couldn't agree with you more.

My dearly departed (and I mean that genuinely, he was a lovely man) father-in-law used to drive his 3ltr merc at 90 all the time when he was in his late seventies. He was hardly what I'd call a boy-racer! :)

Reactions: Blackwhite
About 20 yrs ago I was caught at 76 on the A75 , 3 points and £60 fine if the cops had been 3 miles down the road I was in losing licence territory at least 95 /100 Astra gte had a digital speedo so the faster you went the faster the numbers went up loved that car. fastest gte to come out my local garage the mechanic said .
I had slowed down on the straight where they usually hide with the speed car and they were not there so I sped up and they were in layby at the end of road sitting in front of the white car which usually sits there , still have the points on my old style paper licence as haven't got photo one yet .

Sore one!

I remember on a dual carriageway a lady was sitting at 30 in a 40,hogging the lane for no reason. She eventually pulled over and I booted it out of pure frustration and looked in to see who the hell was driving. Blue rinse brigade! Turned back around just before a slight bend and damn it...police van. 54 in a 40. Some times it's just bad luck/stupidity or down right lack of concentration when you get done. If she had been in the left lane on an empty road to begin with I wouldn't have been booting it down the road.

Been close a few times thinking il over take here, you don't for whatever reason, then you see a police car 30 seconds up the road and you let of a sigh of relief. Almost been caught to many times!!!!!!! 0 points *touch wood

This is spot on! Law of Sod!

36 in a 30 for me less than half a mile from home! Just under 3 years since previous one so no speed awareness :(

TX.

My car definitely creeps up easier than previous cars. It seems hard work to keep down to 70.
I was bowling down our dual carriageway a week or two back and spotted the white van in their favourite place on a bridge over the road. I was doing well over 80 when I spotted them (and presumably they spotted me!)
But haven't had the letter yet, so maybe got away with it.

Bad day today.......

87mph in a 70 zone.......

3 points and £100 fine.

Why did I buy a quick car again?

This happened this morning on the way to Aberdeen, very quiet dual carriageway, no one about and my speed drifted up......it happens!

Funny, but the same rozzers that pulled me had also pulled over a red Q3 on our way home! Do you think it was pull over Audis day today? or maybe a snooker day? 5 points for my Sepang then!

Lucky.....as we pulled in to refuel, we noticed more rozzers in a grey 5 series. They left the garage before we had finished refuelling.

Around 15 miles later, I was following a lorry at 45mph on a very long straight (between Hatton and Ellon for those who know the area)......I was really tempted to floor it and get past him.....but feeling sore from this mornings 3 points, I held back. Good job I did! the 5 series was hidden behind trees in a farm track 200 metres down the road....!

Oh, before anyone mentions it, we don't get an option for speed awareness courses up here!!!

Yeah, it's bad road for Police, probably because there's no fixed speed cameras on it and it's had more than its fair share of nasty crashes. The sooner it's all dualer to Peterhead the better.

Reactions: Kugaman1

Definitely not letting it get me down mate!

I kinda figure that its been 5 years since I last got points, so it was just a matter of time before I got the next lot.

Its a total lottery on the roads nowadays....with so many 30 and then 20 mph zones, its almost impossible not to break the limit.

If anyone on here claims not to speed.....seriously, theyve bought the wrong car!

Hopefully, it will be 5 years till my next points!

Reactions: Matthew_S3
Good job I did! the 5 series was hidden behind trees in a farm track 200 metres down the road....!

I feel for you - very unlucky.

Key word features again in nearly all these type of events....."was hidden behind trees".....

If it's all about Road Safety then the cops should stand in obvious places i.e. not hidden.
Same outcome results - slower traffic.
If it's all about the money - hidden is absolutely perfect.

That is bad news - been a "lucky escape" for me being able to attend said Course.
Don't think you would have been offered one if they did do them though due to the recorded speed i.e. 87mph.

Reactions: Kugaman1
Definitely not letting it get me down mate!

I kinda figure that its been 5 years since I last got points, so it was just a matter of time before I got the next lot.

Its a total lottery on the roads nowadays....with so many 30 and then 20 mph zones, its almost impossible not to break the limit.

If anyone on here claims not to speed.....seriously, theyve bought the wrong car!

Hopefully, it will be 5 years till my next points!
Yeah what's done is done,nowt can change that,you refer to the Focus 1.0 ecoboost as you may not have been caught speeding in that well there maybe some credence to this,because l would have had more chance of being caught speeding in my ST 2.0 ecoboost than l my S3 honesty
Don't beat yerself up too much about this

Reactions: Simon L
As above, the word hidden. They aren't allowed to be hidden if they are at the road side. Must be in full view with high vis jackets on. If it's an unmarked car they can do you whilst they are driving behind, in front etc etc. I'd challenge it if they jumped out from behind a tree or something. Challenged my wife's for the same thing and they were squashed.
I don't speed on local built up roads, but do on A, dual or Motorways. Touch wood, not had points since 93/94. Two in 3 months or so. I know it's a hassle but I'd challenge it.

They were playing car snooker! red and then you blue! The next car they pull will be red ;)

I'm buying white next time lol :D

They were playing car snooker! red and then you blue! The next car they pull will be red ;)

I'm buying white next time lol :D

go for silver no one notices you :sunglasses:

Reactions: SPARTAN91
As above, the word hidden. They aren't allowed to be hidden if they are at the road side. Must be in full view with high vis jackets on. If it's an unmarked car they can do you whilst they are driving behind, in front etc etc. I'd challenge it if they jumped out from behind a tree or something. Challenged my wife's for the same thing and they were squashed.
I don't speed on local built up roads, but do on A, dual or Motorways. Touch wood, not had points since 93/94. Two in 3 months or so. I know it's a hassle but I'd challenge it.

Hmm, is that true?

The rozzers that got me were on a road which was at 90 degrees to the opposite side of the carriageway....ie on the otherside of the dual carriageway parked on a road that would have headed away from the carriageway. They certainly werent clearly visible.

Infact, as I drove down the carriageway, I saw them as they were crossing over on to my side in order to pull me over. Did make me think.....they were ****** quick if they were sat looking for speeders and then managed to pull out and join my side of the road just as I was passing them.....

Yes, Im pretty certain they dont need to be visible....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ice-target-motorists-hidden-speed-camera.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/wales/7322582.stm

At the end of the day, I cant honestly deny that I was speeding, although I didnt feel as if I was going at 87mph......I will pay the fine and take my punishment.....Although I very much doubt I was at the accused speed.

If they had said I was doing 77mph, OK, fine, I would agree....but 87mph, I really dont believe. Even my wife was amazed, she didnt think we had gone above 70!

Fact is, yes I was going above 70mph, so Im guilty - feed me to the pigs! (Freudian slip?) The rules in Scotland now are that if you are going ONE mph over any speed limit, you can be prosecuted. This rule came into force on 1st October.

Last edited:
The rules in Scotland now are that if you are going ONE mph over any speed limit, you can be prosecuted.
This rule came into force on 1st October.

Wow - and I thought the Welsh were bad.
We seem to own every single Scamera Device that has ever been developed - and they're always out (in the good weather of course).

What is it with the Celts and (enjoying a bit of) speeding !?!?

Oy!!

Im a Yorkshireman!

Wifes Scottish and we ended up settling here after I left the RAF. Would dearly have loved to settle in Whitby but there was no work there....

Round here they do always position themselves in view. But the thing is, do you notice them? I was nearly caught by a camera on a bridge right above a straight bit of road. But guess what - I was looking where I was going, not at what was on the bridge!

Round here they do always position themselves in view. But the thing is, do you notice them? I was nearly caught by a camera on a bridge right above a straight bit of road. But guess what - I was looking where I was going, not at what was on the bridge!
Have you seen the lights on the new police cars? I never spot them, tiny little LED's on the roof..

Guess I need to get into the habit of looking at the car rather then the roof >.<

Aberdeen is quite bad for a lot of hidden police, but at least they seem to stick to the same positions every time so you know to slow down for them in future.

There's at least one patrol every day hidden up one of the farm roads on the A944, in-between Kingswells and Westhill. Also frequently patrols hiding near Durris on the south deeside.

That new law is making me open my eyes a bit more though (unfortunately). Too used to driving down to dundee at 78 on cruise control most weekends so that'll be a sore one to take if pulled over for that.