Why masking tape?

moorzy

Reaction score
Got a polisher to help me out with polishing and all that jazz and it comes with masking tape. Looked at some folks applying polish/wax etc.. and they put masking tape on, say quarter on the bonnet. What's the score with that, why would I want to put masking tape on motor?

It can be used in two main ways. One to section off a panel so you can clearly see the difference that the work you're doing is working. Secondly to tape off plastics and other materials that you shouldn't put polish on.

As Scotty says its to protect your pads from getting damaged and stained by plastic and rubber trim. Also good for 50/50 shots if you want to show before/after.

Nice one, I can feel another full day of kissing about with water and chemicals coming on this weekend if weather stays groovy

Don't forget masking off edges and raised panel lines/edges where the paint surface is vulnerable to 'burning' early.

Reactions: marcusp13
There are better tapes made just for detailing rather than PAINT masking tape.

I quite like the blue painters tape for it. Leaves very little residue if removed soonish afterwards. I do tend to find that anything marketed to 'detailers' usually comes at a needless price premium.

Reactions: DrEskimo
I quite like the blue painters tape for it. Leaves very little residue if removed soonish afterwards. I do tend to find that anything marketed to 'detailers' usually comes at a needless price premium.

Agree with this! If the tape is too sticky just stick it to your jeans a few times and hey presto...you've got yourself 'Ultimate, non-tacky detailers tape'....

Reactions: blackwiddow, marcusp13 and D3mon