why just why would you !!

chrisw_s3mk1

Reaction score
Well as many of you may know my car by now as the most problematic audi s3 apy on here well ive just found out my car has had the gearboxed changed to a 5speed quattro box luckily for me i realised this before having my mate strip it out for a new flywheel replacement etc why is my question wouldnt you just do the job properly ! Or did audi make early 5speed s3 models ?

close but no cigar...... wrong section, forgot to mention; we've got our own issues:laugh:

Have any constructive advice or just bord lol ? Did this gearbox normal in a 99 apy my gearstick says 6speed ?

the 8l s3 never came with a factory fit 5 speed gearbox im afraid.

the only reason i can think they did this is the 5 speed has longer gear ratio's, so the car can reach 60 in 2nd gear etc but a bit extreme for something so small.

hope this helps a little

I thought all a3 quattors had the 6 speed box mate, in fact im 99% sure they did, you aure your gearbox isnt ******? What codes on the box? Also i know this is a bit late but didnt you test drive the car and realise then?

A few A3 quattros came with a 5 speed version of the 02M box... No S3 came with a 5 speed box as std...

Tbh, the 6 speed ratios are silly... I wang through mine like its gone out of fashion.. the 5 speed box has better ratios

<tuffty/>

Ron with his 6sp box would just hit 60 in second (prob led to the valve burning) before the remap it would hit 58 :) anyway I would rather have a 5sp box, never mind :(
I've never seen a 5sp a3 Quattro tbh, I'd like to tho :)

aye, 5 speed box will get you to 60 without having to change to third... unless you a rev limit of 7.8k of course lol

<tufty/>

5 speed is a HUGE benefit; I get 78 in second.

Count yourself very lucky.

Last edited by a moderator:
You sure the car is a s3 and not a a3 dressed up like a s3?

Yeah 100% a s3 as its got apy stamped on the engine etc and has the haldrex diff etc

Well looks like ive made a astonishing finding. My s3 has 6speed gear box its just the cable ive been told and the selector is stiff and wont allow you to put itin 6th whilst driving, just goes to fourth etc when your stationary you can select it werird, also car is 100000% better with new flywheel clutch just needs mast slave clylinder replacing.