why is the Audi A4 B8 2.0T engine faster than the S3 BAM 165KW?

Neesh

Reaction score
I dont completely understand how a stock A4 B8 2.0T 147Kw is faster than the S3 BAM 165Kw,can someone please explain to me why?

Surely the B8 is heavier than S3?

Define faster....

S3 is around 1500kg, A4 prob a bit less if its not a quattro. DSG gearbox option will make it faster through the gears...

<tuffty/>

Seen an A4 2.0T get closer to an Audi S4 on a 1/2 mile run than the BAM S3 on about 4-5 runs.

The Audi 2.0T was stock standard no mods what so ever,Ive seen this with the Jetta 2.0 TFSI why are these engines quicker I just dont understand and its not the driver either, drivers had a go in both cars aswell and the A4 came out tops well in terms of being against the S4.

Seen this aswell guys the 2.0TFSI wins by 2 car lengths in a 1/4 mile race and pulls away in the 1/2 mile,the S3 just cant catch it im not sure on the track how it fairs out but it looks like its a good piece of machinery I think it won engine of the year in 2005/2006.

What is meant by powerband?does that mean it holds the power longer at a certain amount of Revs?

I heard something about the Newer Audi engines having Variable valve timing ,does the S3 have this?Could this be whats giving it the edge?

nope the BAM engine and AMK (check the AMK) has VVT but makes no difference by all accounts

VVT on 1.8 20v was implemented for emissions not power...

Lets put this into perspective though... you would kinda expect a more modern variation of an engine to perform better than its predecessors... its not always about how much power you have its the package... too many variables to categorically say whats faster than what and why... take Top Gear and the way they do a lap in cars around the track... on paper the Veyron should have walked over any car they have tested... it didn't...

<tuffty/>

VVT on 1.8 20v was implemented for emissions not power...

Lets put this into perspective though... you would kinda expect a more modern variation of an engine to perform better than its predecessors... its not always about how much power you have its the package... too many variables to categorically say whats faster than what and why... take Top Gear and the way they do a lap in cars around the track... on paper the Veyron should have walked over any car they have tested... it didn't...<tuffty/>

True but i think in a straight line the Veyron would have anniahlated most of them,figures are more accurately presented in a straight line rather than around a track that is because there is more than one component playing a part suspension,grip,body roll etc etc. All figures aside S3 should have atleast matched up with the A4...its dissapointing when you place so much of faith in a car.Both cars had similar mileage aswell 90 000 on the A4 86000 on the S3.

Power to weight ratio:

A4 2.0 TFSI 138.1 HP/Tonne

S3 1.8 T 154 HP/Tonne

Both cars complete the quarter mile in 14.7 Seconds.....

I heard something about the Newer Audi engines having Variable valve timing ,does the S3 have this?Could this be whats giving it the edge?

Thee new engines have something called "valve lift"......http://www.worldcarfans.com/1080626859/audi-variable-valvelift-system-in-detail

"Audi valvelift system enhances performance from TFSI engines.
The Audi valvelift system controls engine valve lift on TFSI petrol
engines in two stages, ensuring optimum combustion chamber
filling under all engine load situations. It regulates the amount of
combustion air drawn into the engine by varying inlet valve lift; in
most cases the throttle butterfly can therefore remain fully open,
which largely eliminates undesirable throttling losses. The engine
therefore breathes more freely and develops higher power and
torque with lower fuel consumption and emissions."

Do we know if the S3 was in good health? on paper it should have been the S3's race but if the S3 was not running as well as it should have (vac leaks, poorly MAF etc) then paper figures mean nothing...

<tuffty/>

I stand corrected 148 HP/Tonne is the correct,The figure I got is from an 8P A3 2.0TFSI 197BHP 1416KG

Yeah tuffty gues it couldnt have been in very good health the owner really pushes it to the limit,so you reckon a full health S3 can match up to the B8 2.0TFSI?

I would like to think so, do we know if the B8 had a DSG box?

Gear changes with DSG are very quick and would certainly help the B8, ratios of the box also makes a difference too...

Tough one to call tbh, if the S3 was on song I would say it should have sorted it, better traction off the line (assuming the B8 is not quattro) and slightly more power but as Bill has said, the power delivery of the TFSI is better, has more power more of the time while the S3 peaks and drops off... makes all the difference...

<tuffty/>

No not DSG normal 6 speed box and not a quattro and completely stock.Someone mentioned that the S3 loses a lot of its power though the transmission because of the quattro?is there a way to limit the amount of power that it loses?

No not DSG normal 6 speed box and not a quattro and completely stock.Someone mentioned that the S3 loses a lot of its power though the transmission because of the quattro?is there a way to limit the amount of power that it loses?

Fit a bigger turbo :)

<tuffty/>

That sounds about right then, the extra few bhp the s3 has on weight to power ratio, it looses it in transmission losses, plus the tfsi having a more tuned engine. Is it like a ford focus 2.0l has 150bhp but the clio rs has got 172 bhp from a 2l engine, its just been tuned better.
i love the dsg gearbox too, dad had it in the golf gti, the gear changes are so swift its unreal!

That sounds about right then, the extra few bhp the s3 has on weight to power ratio, it looses it in transmission losses, plus the tfsi having a more tuned engine. Is it like a ford focus 2.0l has 150bhp but the clio rs has got 172 bhp from a 2l engine, its just been tuned better.
i love the dsg gearbox too, dad had it in the golf gti, the gear changes are so swift its unreal!

Nearer 200 if you count the newer car.