Why is is hold assist and stop start stupid?

DeanoC

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
This cant just be me. Stop with hold assist on and the engine stops then let off the brake (because i have hold assist on) and the engine starts. How mental is that?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I never really understood this feature in an auto. The gearing holds you anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Newer VW's have it sorted. The accelerator restarts the engine. This makes hold assist useless.

Never noticed on the RS as that didn't have start stop

Reactions: Thundercliffe81
Newer VW's have it sorted. The accelerator restarts the engine. This makes hold assist useless.

Never noticed on the RS as that didn't have start stop

I know. I love what the designer said about it. "Wrong car..." It's not meant to be economical

Reactions: DeanoC
I know. I love what the designer said about it. "Wrong car..." It's not meant to be economical

So great. I loved telling people how it injected fuel into the exhaust to make it fart. Not get that anymore!

Yeah i find it really daft you pull up in busy traffic knowing your not going to move for 2 mins so you stop and the start stop kicks in, then as you release put it into P and release the brake and it starts the engine and stays on the whole 2 mins until you start moving again!

Yeah i find it really daft you pull up in busy traffic knowing your not going to move for 2 mins so you stop and the start stop kicks in, then as you release put it into P and release the brake and it starts the engine and stays on the whole 2 mins until you start moving again!
Craziness! Can't even code it out

Iv also thought this..pointless feature..

Also I think the hill hold is a bit pointless. I'm guessing this is the auto handbrake that your talking about?

Iv also thought this..pointless feature..

Also I think the hill hold is a bit pointless. I'm guessing this is the auto handbrake that your talking about?

The hold assist below the parking brake.

I thought that was auto handbrake not hold assist. It says A and it puts the parking brake on..

My other cars that have had hill hold etc although not automatic didn't put the parking brake on. They just held the normal brake for a few seconds and only when the car was on a incline or decline.

Must be different in the Audi.

Green P is hold assist, red P is parking brake.

Reactions: craig20102010
Green P is hold assist, red P is parking brake.

Shame it doesn't keep the engine off then lol

Sort of a lazy button for people who don't want to stick it into park lol.

There's so many features that do the same thing.

Park - holds the car
Parking brake - holds the car
Hold assist - holds the car

And you have to pretty much use the same effort to use all..maybe an exception with park you have to press a button and slide it haha

Shame it doesn't keep the engine off then lol

Sort of a lazy button for people who don't want to stick it into park lol.

There's so many features that do the same thing.

Park - holds the car
Parking brake - holds the car
Hold assist - holds the car

And you have to pretty much use the same effort to use all..maybe an exception with park you have to press a button and slide it haha

I know. Crazy. I've coded mine to put the parking brake on when you shift to P. Shame i cant use the auto hold and start stop together in traffic though

How the hell have you done that? And what else can you code that's helpful?

How the hell have you done that? And what else can you code that's helpful?

Using VCDS. I havr done 15 or 20 adaptations.

No engine off when you open the door
Beeps on lock and unlock
Needle sweep on start up
Show fan speed in auto
Low speed cornering lights via the all weather lights
Dipping passenger mirror on reverse
No seatbelts warnings
Adjusted DRL brightness
Adaptive brake lights
Control of the footwell lighting

You get the idea

I dont agree, the hill hold assist is great at traffic lights where there is a decline or incline present, Why would you use P in this situation? the stop/start, mine, A6 restarts on pressing the accelerator. P is only for when you park the car surely.

I dont agree, the hill hold assist is great at traffic lights where there is a decline or incline present, Why would you use P in this situation? the stop/start, mine, A6 restarts on pressing the accelerator. P is only for when you park the car surely.

Start / stop works differently in pre FL cars

Is yours an FL?? As I believe they work like the newer Golfs etc

Mine is a 2012 and the car restarts when you release the brake which in my opinion then renders the hill hold assist function useless!! The whole idea of hill hold is so you don't leave your foot on the brake. Start / stop is to save fuel yet the two don't work together!

Start / stop works differently in pre FL cars

Is yours an FL?? As I believe they work like the newer Golfs etc

Mine is a 2012 and the car restarts when you release the brake which in my opinion then renders the hill hold assist function useless!! The whole idea of hill hold is so you don't leave your foot on the brake. Start / stop is to save fuel yet the two don't work together!
Exactly. They fixed it on MY14 cars

Along with it remembering to stay on off

I drive a manual and I find both systems work great and are well-suited to a manual box.

Using VCDS. I havr done 15 or 20 adaptations.

No engine off when you open the door
Beeps on lock and unlock
Needle sweep on start up
Show fan speed in auto
Low speed cornering lights via the all weather lights
Dipping passenger mirror on reverse
No seatbelts warnings
Adjusted DRL brightness
Adaptive brake lights
Control of the footwell lighting

You get the idea

I love all them features haha I want it doing to mine.

You've basically got rid of all my little issues

I love all them features haha I want it doing to mine.

You've basically got rid of all my little issues

Where are you in the world?

Just drove past Billingham to pick up some of the family in Hartlepool and go to Beamish.

I know ive been wanting someone in North Manchester to do a few VDCS things including getting the traffic working without a silly Audi Licence.

Just drove past Billingham to pick up some of the family in Hartlepool and go to Beamish.

I know ive been wanting someone in North Manchester to do a few VDCS things including getting the traffic working without a silly Audi Licence.
You need a licence for that to work like? It will tell me what traffic there is around the area but I'm not sure if it actually updates it on the satnav when im using that.

The main feature I want is the dip wing mirror when reversing.

Audi will normally give you the license for free when it expires after 3 years. If it has never been activated from new you can do that via VCDS

No idea if it's been activated in the past but i got my car literally jusr over 3 years old.

I have audi Connect working, the car has a data plan and is setup as a wifi but it says to contact audi to activate a traffic plan when i go to it.

Strangely you can still goto nav > info and it gives you lists of delays around the country but its sometimes such a big list and doesn't order them by distance from you.

Even stranger was the other day for the first time the satnav told me there was a 2 mile delay up ahead but the satnav didn't show anything and didn't direct me and i was stuck for 90 mins in it.

No idea if it's been activated in the past but i got my car literally jusr over 3 years old.

I have audi Connect working, the car has a data plan and is setup as a wifi but it says to contact audi to activate a traffic plan when i go to it.

Strangely you can still goto nav > info and it gives you lists of delays around the country but its sometimes such a big list and doesn't order them by distance from you.

Even stranger was the other day for the first time the satnav told me there was a 2 mile delay up ahead but the satnav didn't show anything and didn't direct me and i was stuck for 90 mins in it.
Sounds like it has never been switched on. You will still get limited traffic data via the TMW service.