Why are a lot of sellers full of bs just to get you there

harley141213

Reaction score
So I’ve been looking at B7 RS4’s as a prospective new toy.
I rang a dealer last week regarding a red saloon which he had on auto trader and also on eBay, although the pics were different and write up similar. Both adds state last owner 7 years and extensive full sh.
When asked it turns out it’s part sh. so why say it’s full when it isn’t?

today I’ve done almost 160 miles round trip to view a Daytona grey one, advertised as being totally standard, all the usual stuff done. Discs and pads, DRC, oil cooler pipes, de coke, new tyres etc.

sounded too good to miss?

only mot’d on 19/12/19 and recent service.

head lights fogged up, exhaust blowing, oil, well, black. Took it out for a drive and it felt very heavy on steering? Sport button badly worn and a horrible clunk from off side rear.
Seller tried to convince me it was something in the boot. Upon further inspection I noticed it sat a bit low on offside rear. He tells me, “ it’s the DRC, they do sit low at the back”
Upon checking nearside rear that was fine.
Apparently all DRC replaces in 2018, £4500.00 to prove.

having left it he messages me to tell me he’s been to the garage who confirm the shocks leaking.

clearly an obvious mot fail, so avoid the Daytona grey one in Bradford on auto trader, you’ll waste your time.

Reactions: mickyh7 and Charlie Farley
You are not alone chap, I have been on the lookout for a decent B7 Rs4 avant for ages , a few have been very close purchases but didn't quite tick all the boxes, far more were rubbish example despite the sellers maintaining in the adverts the cars were " excellent examples" and " mint condition" , the cold reality was that they were far from either of those descriptions.
It applies to all used cars really , its that fine line between what the seller thinks their car is like and worth and what any potential buyer thinks , normally the two are widly differing ideas and expectations.
I just treat all sellers the same now and just keep an open mind until I've seen the car.

good luck though chap.

rob

in Bradford

Spotted the problem :playful:

Personally just search by lowest price and closest then if anything out of the ordinary is spotted generally offer minus how much to sort defects plus a bit more off as they may be underestimations, wouldn't trust what sellers say or write in the slightest though first thing I do is swap oil and filter and go over everything with a fine tooth comb then run it for a good while before believing it's fine. Second hand car market is always a gamble, don't trust anyone.

Reactions: Tj 0785
If anything it’s convinced me to only buy one that’s had coil overs fitted. The guy showed me the receipts for the parts and labour for the DRC. All gen Audi parts and fitted by Indy .
Can’t have done more that 10k / 2yrs ago and goosed already.

about as good as a paper yacht!

Reactions: Charlie Farley
Don’t go Bradford for a car been 3 times and always a lemon when you get there

Reactions: mickyh7
"Mint condition" what does that mean ?? . Usually it means it's got some major issues with it and I am trying to move it on and make a silly amount of money. I have never seen a car described as "mint" actually match the sellers description in terms of it's mechanical or body condition.

Reactions: Charlie Farley
While on the subject or RS4, are there any issues re timing chain or when it needs replacing?
I’m
Getting mixed answers ( not from here, nobody replied)

mom sure I’ve read they ready 90-100k

then I’ve read they don’t need doing?

ive lost one car this year to chain failure

Anyone know?

S3
Don’t go Bradford for a car been 3 times and always a lemon when you get there

Was one of them the red one lowered on coilovers? Listed on auto trader and eBay?

lol @ bradford... went there years agao to look at an Audi 80 which was described as mint. got there and the sunroof had been siliconed in and was smeared all over the roof and when i pointed the huge amounts of rust his reply was 'its just dirt; Its an Audi so it never rusts' Ok **** whatever!! and drove back home

That seems to sum up my experience there. Someone here mentioned they had viewed 3 Audi’s in Bradford, possibly RS4? And were all piles...
Makes you wonder what sellers in Scunthorpe are like? If you follow my drift

The 3 I viewed were s3 8l about 4 years ago all from different garages one supposedly a stage 2 with no fmic, was slow the other was dog rough with an extra 30k on the clock and the other “mint enthusiast owned” was exhaust blowing oil all over the pcv pipes the worst 2 were in keighley

So I’ve been looking at B7 RS4’s as a prospective new toy.
I rang a dealer last week regarding a red saloon which he had on auto trader and also on eBay, although the pics were different and write up similar. Both adds state last owner 7 years and extensive full sh.
When asked it turns out it’s part sh. so why say it’s full when it isn’t?

today I’ve done almost 160 miles round trip to view a Daytona grey one, advertised as being totally standard, all the usual stuff done. Discs and pads, DRC, oil cooler pipes, de coke, new tyres etc.

sounded too good to miss?

only mot’d on 19/12/19 and recent service.

head lights fogged up, exhaust blowing, oil, well, black. Took it out for a drive and it felt very heavy on steering? Sport button badly worn and a horrible clunk from off side rear.
Seller tried to convince me it was something in the boot. Upon further inspection I noticed it sat a bit low on offside rear. He tells me, “ it’s the DRC, they do sit low at the back”
Upon checking nearside rear that was fine.
Apparently all DRC replaces in 2018, £4500.00 to prove.

having left it he messages me to tell me he’s been to the garage who confirm the shocks leaking.

clearly an obvious mot fail, so avoid the Daytona grey one in Bradford on auto trader, you’ll waste your time.

Never would i buy a car from ANY independent dealer in Bradford.

Not in Bradford but Keighley... If you want to pass some time reading a few reviews google 'Motorhub'.

Never would i buy a car from ANY independent dealer in Bradford.

Not in Bradford but Keighley... If you want to pass some time reading a few reviews google 'Motorhub'.
Motor hub, that’s the former keighley car trade centre. An Asian bloke who imports loads of jap stuff, evos and Impreza if I’m right

Motor hub, that’s the former keighley car trade centre. An Asian bloke who imports loads of jap stuff, evos and Impreza if I’m right

Correct, the 'Keighley Trade Centre' used to be in a place called Crosshills just at the end of the bypasses before you travel to Skipton, it moved to Keighley and rebranded as motorhub 8 years ago maybe.

I used to know a body shop that 'fixed' a lot of the jap imports they sold, i once made comment on nice a yellow evo 7 looked fairly well to which the reply was 'don't even think about it kid, it's got more filler than you can imagine', he then proceeded to show me the before and after photos.. jesus christ it was a right mess, not a straight panel.

If the insurance had of seen the car it would have been written off.. after this work was done it looked half decent, a couple of knocks here and there on the roof and body work and you soon realised just how much work had gone into make this thing saleable, caked in filler.

Do you recall an advert for Peugeot, think it was a silver 206. Must be at least 10-15 yrs back. It showed a little silver car that looked like it had been banger racing. There was this little Indian bloke who had a few basic hand tools who preceded to repair said wreck, the finished product was a spanking new 206

Correct, the 'Keighley Trade Centre' used to be in a place called Crosshills just at the end of the bypasses before you travel to Skipton, it moved to Keighley and rebranded as motorhub 8 years ago maybe.

I used to know a body shop that 'fixed' a lot of the jap imports they sold, i once made comment on nice a yellow evo 7 looked fairly well to which the reply was 'don't even think about it kid, it's got more filler than you can imagine', he then proceeded to show me the before and after photos.. jesus christ it was a right mess, not a straight panel.

If the insurance had of seen the car it would have been written off.. after this work was done it looked half decent, a couple of knocks here and there on the roof and body work and you soon realised just how much work had gone into make this thing saleable, caked in filler.

Reactions: Tj 0785
Do you recall an advert for Peugeot, think it was a silver 206. Must be at least 10-15 yrs back. It showed a little silver car that looked like it had been banger racing. There was this little Indian bloke who had a few basic hand tools who preceded to repair said wreck, the finished product was a spanking new 206

No not heard of that one but it wouldn't surprise me!

Where did you find that? Just as I remembered it. Funny as .....

not sure about Bradford, probably has a franchise nationally now

When I was looking to buy an Audi A3 I had a budget of up to £2000 saw a couple advertised in a garage one said it has one dent on it
Turns out had 5 large dents in different locations the laquer was peeling so bad on drivers door. No spare wheel or jack mould in the seat and seat belt. Had a knocking sound coming from the engine. And he wanted £1500 for it I said it’s only worth £500 . I still drive it as I had never drove an Audi A3 before so I had an ideas of what they are like. I walked away and bought a private car in the end .