Whose had a payout on GAP insurance?

Jiten C

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I've tried the search function but can't seem to find the answer to question.

I'm expecting delivery of my S3 saloon in Jan 2016, I understand that various companies (ala, gap123, chrisknott etc...) are getting rave ratings for the cost of GAP cover, but surely the true ratings should be based on whether they payout and the ease in which they do so.

So as per the thread title, can anyone provide any experience on this?

Thanks
Jit

I've just plumped for ALA - so will be watching this topic with interest!

I've just gone with Frank Pickles Gap Insurance, hope I never need to use it but it's there Incase like any insurance policy...

I was paid out via GAP insurance that I was sold with the car, 5.6K and they were the best insurance company I have ever dealt with.

Yes, after someone t-boned my year old S4 which was stationary at the time.

It was about £5k which was the difference between the insurance pay-out and the cost to buy a new one with the same options.

There were no questions asked, and it was a smooth process.

My mate got £6k from GAP.

I was paid out via GAP insurance that I was sold with the car, 5.6K and they were the best insurance company I have ever dealt with.

Yes, after someone t-boned my year old S4 which was stationary at the time.

It was about £5k which was the difference between the insurance pay-out and the cost to buy a new one with the same options.

There were no questions asked, and it was a smooth process.

Can you guys share the insurer?

I went with Audi's GAP insurance when I bought the car.

I appreciate it's probably twice the price of some of the others, but I was so pleased with the quality of service that I went back to them twice since!

Reactions: Ollie2014
I have always been cynical about gap insurance, then my mate bought a used 996 turbo (years ago) for £50k and bought gap insurance. I took the mick at the time, but then two years later he wrote it off on the M1. It was valued at £25k and the gap insurance paid out the remainder. It worked for him. Having said that I didn't take gap on my S3 so I'm not sure what my point is :)

Reactions: Ignition1, Nikon, ACWKGYTO and 1 other person
Can you guys share the insurer?

Can you guys share this insurer as all i get is a random assortment of insurers or Gap clothing! What about that quinten wilson guy's gap insurance? I see the ads for him often, he seems quite good and the telly never lies about these things does it.
Been thinking about getting it for some time but until i read here about ppl actually getting payouts ive been putting it off

I went with ALA, seem well respected. Hopefully I won't have to test their service.

Reactions: ACWKGYTO
If the car is stolen, does GAP insurance cover this? Also thinking about leasing my next car, how would it affect the contract? Plan to try and find a 1+23 deal if possible

No problem, it's basically a top up on your existing insurance, if for whatever reason your insurance pay you out for the car, GAP tops it up so you get back into a new one ;)

Hi Guys,

Although we are unable to do GAP insurance, we do offer Total Loss Protection which is a cost effective alternative. If anyone is interested please feel free to DM me your telephone and email and we'll get in touch.

Kind Regards
Dan

lots to decide on... return to invoice, back to invoice etcetcetc

lots to decide on... return to invoice, back to invoice etcetcetc
i've heard the replacement vehicle is the best cover as this ensures you get the same vehicle you were in prior to loss or its equivilent facelift/new model regardless of price.

i've heard the replacement vehicle is the best cover as this ensures you get the same vehicle you were in prior to loss or its equivilent facelift/new model regardless of price.

That's what I've gone for on my new S5. I've got a hefty discount and know they won't be around for much longer when the new model is released. Vehicle replacement allows me to get the same spec car regardless of any changes in price and available discounts.

Got a very good price from gapinsurance.co.uk

That's what I've gone for on my new S5. I've got a hefty discount and know they won't be around for much longer when the new model is released. Vehicle replacement allows me to get the same spec car regardless of any changes in price and available discounts.

Got a very good price from gapinsurance.co.uk
I'm definitely gonna go down this route I thing, as facelift will be out soon and mine arrives in Jan 2016, at least, should the worst happen, I know i'll be in no worse a position regardless of cost. Was hoping more people had stories to tell about the payout with GAP insurance providers.

I'm definitely gonna go down this route I thing, as facelift will be out soon and mine arrives in Jan 2016, at least, should the worst happen, I know i'll be in no worse a position regardless of cost. Was hoping more people had stories to tell about the payout with GAP insurance providers.

Yes sorry, wasn't very helpful with regards to your original question...!

I too am interested to hear others experience. So far it seems positive. I guess given that a price is agreed from the outset (i.e. the difference between the price of a new car and the payout from the insurance), there is less 'wiggle' room for them not to provide exactly what you think/they are supposed to provide....

Rather refreshing to think you get what you pay for from an insurance company.....

Yes sorry, wasn't very helpful with regards to your original question...!

I too am interested to hear others experience. So far it seems positive. I guess given that a price is agreed from the outset (i.e. the difference between the price of a new car and the payout from the insurance), there is less 'wiggle' room for them not to provide exactly what you think/they are supposed to provide....

Rather refreshing to think you get what you pay for from an insurance company.....

I liked this wiggle-room point too. Had a look at ALA after the suggestion here, had to figure out the jargon via http://www.which.co.uk/money/insurance/guides/gap-insurance/return-to-invoice-gap-review/
between return to invoice and vehicle replacement, as I know my car wont gain value it was an important thing to find out

Just to add Gap123 do this as well, even if the price for the same car/updated/facelifted one has gone up in cost. Also a good point to note is that they don't insist that you re-order through same manufacturer, meaning if you fancied a BMW/Merc etc. you could take the money and order one of those.

I have just bought 123 gap with my new car but around 10 years ago had my new car stolen.I had the car for two months and my insurance company offered me an absolute derogatory offer but would not budge luckily I had gap through Honda and there was absolutely no quibble back to the invoice price.So my answer would be to go for it.

Reactions: DrEskimo
Already related my experience in the similar thread in this section...

Also would like to hear from others who have claimed... Anyone had any problems?

Reactions: cpc_s3
what are people payin for gap? the dealer has offered it to me 430 for 4 years. what are you paying?

£150 from gapinsurance for 2 years, vehicle replacement and covers the full value of the vehicle.

I chose vehicle replacement so that I can get the same car even if the price increases/discounts are no longer as good. Also check that the level of cover for the value of the vehicle is adequate. Generally the cost is minimal to go from say £20k to £25k.

Reactions: cpc_s3
I didnt get vehicle replacement from ALA because my car wont increase, ive got a 2L tdi 2012 and paid £130 for 3 years

I'll be going with the GAP offer from Audi. £699 but worth it I think.

Blimey...that's expensive. I've also heard that the level of cover isn't generally as good from Audi. I would shop around, even to just confirm its a good deal/policy....

Reactions: DeckedS3
I've just ordered my car from listers and they offered me 3 years for £227

Reactions: DeckedS3
Audi Gap Insurance from Audi Financial services is underwritten by MAPFRE Asistencia Compañìa Internacional de Seguros y Reaseguros Sociedad Anonima (“MAPFRE”), authorised by Dirección General de Seguros y Fondos de Pensiones

Made me smile anyway :)

Blimey...that's expensive. I've also heard that the level of cover isn't generally as good from Audi. I would shop around, even to just confirm its a good deal/policy....

Thats a ridiculous price, they probably make more on that than they do on your car !

I was given GAP for free (nothing is free) as a deal sweetner when I bought a previous used S3, I cancelled it within the 14 days and got the £500 back as a cheque.

I was in the dealer 3 months later sorting out a problem with the car and one of the sales controllers said something snide about me cancelling my GAP

Cheeky t.at !

It obviously means a lot to them, when you get a reaction like that 3 months later.

Straight in their back pocket !!!!

ALA all the way....Which approved. Need I say more.