Who's made a warranty claim for rust on the roof by the drain channel?

VAGMAN1

Reaction score
if you have, what did Audi UK say i.e. if they did not warranty it what was the excuse?

I have meant to get round to it! My brother who works for SAAB says that it is clearly the body of the car and it should be covered. Lets hope they do. Will get round to it now the silly season is over.

I was told by my dealer that it would be covered by bodywork warranty only to find out that they put the warranty application in and it was rejected. Apparently the roof rails (drain channel trim) are trim items and therefore not covered, the cant rails (top part between side panels and roof rails) is also trim and again not covered.
Tried calling customer services to query this only to be told they are not technically minded and that the warranty only covered what was galvanised and referred me to audi website. Once I looked at their picture I pointed out that the rails were on the picture and they then more or less said they cant help, bye, great help they are!.

Not sure where to go from here, the Audi 3yr warranty has no problem covering this, the additional warranty such as bodywork or additional years is much more restrictive however I dont know how to get in touch with them to query this as I cant belive they can classify the rusting part as trim.

Would be interested to see if anyone has actually managed to resolve this.

I wouldn't bother mate.

As I've found out the warranty isn't worth the paper it is written on. They will find some excuse why it's not covered.

I have the same problem with my A3 aswell,
I have been quoted £130 for the work to be done by my local bodyshop.
I have seen another A3 in that bodyshop with the same problem it was a 97R car and mine is a 99T.
Has anyone had a look under the drain trim to see if the rust has reached there yet. On my A3 it is just on the very lip of the drain channel plus do the metallic painted car fair better.
Cheers,
deano.

It rusts on the edge nearest the outside edge of the car. If you stand looking at the drain channel then the edge closest to you just before the plastic drain trim is the area to look at. My A3TS is metallic Black and I had to look very hard to spot it.
It will look like the paint is bubbling very slightly it might be best to run your finger along the edge to see if you can feel anything.

I'm sorry, but it isnt any trim on my car that is rusting, it is the side of the car! If it is trim then I'd love to see them remove it without cutting out the whole side of the car off. will need to try to go visit them myself.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm sorry, but it isnt any trim on my car that is rusting, it is the side of the car! If it is trim then I'd love to see them remove it without cutting out the whole side of the car off. will need to try to go visit them myself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah but you will be told that it is not covered as it's paint work, and that the paint work warranty is for 3 years only!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif it's what I'm expecting to hear.

Will then fiill out the form on the watchdog site, maybe if we all do we can shame them into taking some action. Surely it is a design fault then!

went to the dealer today to get mine inspected and the claim put in.............I'm not holding my breath, although I've got to do this before I can start the fight!

[ QUOTE ]
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/burningmad.gif it's what I'm expecting to hear.

Will then fiill out the form on the watchdog site, maybe if we all do we can shame them into taking some action. Surely it is a design fault then!

[/ QUOTE ]

I would say that the doors are also a design fault that wants sorting!

i sold mine because audi are w#@kers, they wouldnt warranty my doors or the roof

the ibiza hasent got rust on it, either did my 1993 corsa sri which i had before the audi and it was original paint

[ QUOTE ]
It rusts on the edge nearest the outside edge of the car. If you stand looking at the drain channel then the edge closest to you just before the plastic drain trim is the area to look at. My A3TS is metallic Black and I had to look very hard to spot it.
It will look like the paint is bubbling very slightly it might be best to run your finger along the edge to see if you can feel anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks not very much /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif.

I've had a closer look. Drivers side is fine, but passenger side found tiny bubbles as you say.

I reckon it's a manufaturing problem rather than a design fault. I took out the trim strips (if you try this, don't seperate the rubber from the strip, as it's fiddly to put back on), and the passenger side has a few areas of very small bubbbles. You could mistake them for a paint fault or a bit of seam sealer in the channel itself- but not up on the lip of the channel.

There's no bubbles at all on the drivers side.

My 1999 T has some very slight bubbles appearing on the edge nearest the roof rail on the drivers side- is fine on passenger side. Surely this is still covered since it's not trim and don't audi give more than 3 years for paintwork?

I've now noticed it on both sides, and what's more, the wife's Lupo has a similar problem (but very slight). Does anyone know if Golf IVs get this?

Isn't paintwork warranty only 3yrs?

Bodywork/paintwork warranty was either 7 or 10 yrs, I cant remember exactly off the top of my head. However the paintwork warranty is covered by audi for the first 3 years after that it goes onto extended warranty company and the ease of getting things done varies greatly between the two.

Looking at the ttforum the TT guys seem to get roof rails sorted under warranty, this is more of a trim item than part of the bodywork we seem to have trouble with. Think its just a case of the warranty company admiting its a fault then it should be fine for anyoe to claim, although easier said than done.

[ QUOTE ]
You are better of get the probs sorted yourself like markb.

I only know of one person managing to get audi to fix the prob under warranty!

[/ QUOTE ]

Like HTC I gave up after persuing Audi for a good couple of months and just got it sorted.

I can't see this going anywhere with Audi.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Like HTC I gave up after persuing Audi for a good couple of months and just got it sorted.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mark, when you got yours fixed, did the bodyshop say if it was perforation (ie: inside rusting outwards) oe dufff paint?

Has it stayed OK since you had it fixed?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Mark, when you got yours fixed, did the bodyshop say if it was perforation (ie: inside rusting outwards) oe dufff paint?

Has it stayed OK since you had it fixed?

[/ QUOTE ]

I know what the problem was with mine. See thread at top of the page.

Had a call from the Audi dealer today and guess what.......

They WILL warranty the repair job to sort out the rust on the roof /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/woohoo.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Had a call from the Audi dealer today and guess what.......

They WILL warranty the repair job to sort out the rust on the roof /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/woohoo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Well done mate.

I got £100 out of them as a good will jesture, but they wouldn't pay for the repairs.

I am VERY surprised they agreed to warranty the problem, although as before I put it down to the customer service head at the dealer being clued-up and fighting my case.

Also she thinks that Audi have woken up to the full extent of the problem!

I've just heard today that they will be fixing mine under warrantly too.

Does anyone know if all 8L A3s are affected, or just a range? Mine's a 99 TDi.

Mine's a 99 with the same problem on the drivers side roof channel.

What is the warranty for paint on Audis?

Paint is 3 years

Perforation is 12 years, however NOT covered if area is chipped i.e. paint broken, or if the area has been resprayed by a non-VAG approved bodyshop.

Get your claim in now as Audi seem to have woken up to the problem!

Here's a picture of the area. This is looking forward, along the RH side of the car. Look about 1/2 way along the rear side window, but it's easier to feel for the damage than see it. It doesn't really show up in the photo that well.

Mine is rusting in that place both sides, as well as a few other spots on the channel further along.

To my mind this is clearly perforation, and it looks like Audi agree in my case.
Clicky for picture

I've got may A3 back now after the warranty repair. The painwork is perfect. In fact, there was only one problem- they didn't put the B pillar inside trim back properly, so the seatbelt didn't retract easily. Fixed it no problem though.

It took them a while as they had problems matching the Kingfisher paint- so I was stuck with a 1.4 Peugot 206 for a week :-(.

them channels are pointless they dont do anything, water still drips inside the car with the window down

The only thing they really do is hide the joint between the roof panel & the sides of the car. Older cars hid it in an exposed gutter (look at a MK1 golf...)

You're right about the water though....

I've just found out that they are going to sort mine out on warrenty. I was very suprised they didn't try to worm out of it.

I had similar blisters/bubbles and I've just had the back-end of my car resprayed under warranty. It's four years old! At first they didn't want to do it, claiming the car was too old to be covered. I kicked off and told them that it was not due to paint failure, but substrate contamination prior to paint being applied. Eventually they agreed to get an independant paint inspector in to look at me. Final opinion - osmotic blistering cause by water/vapour on the surface prior to painting.